Anyone load XTP bullets with Alliant Blue Dot?

This is a discussion on Anyone load XTP bullets with Alliant Blue Dot? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I looked at Alliants manual online and they only show listings for Speer bullets with their powder. I have a pound of Blue Dot but ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm
  • 1 Post By Tubby45

Thread: Anyone load XTP bullets with Alliant Blue Dot?

Anyone load XTP bullets with Alliant Blue Dot?

I looked at Alliants manual online and they only show listings for Speer bullets with their powder. I have a pound of Blue Dot but no bullets to match

I want to try my 158gr. XTP with my Blue Dot powder because I'd like to try something different than my trusty old HP38 which is kinda fast. Most XTP bullets have a OAL 1.580 with their recommended powders. The Speer GDHP seem to like a 1.575.

Oh, this is with a 4in barrel .357 Taurus M66.

2. Remove Ads

Unique, 2400, or H-110 are the go-to powders for your XTP, however, you don't have to match a bullet to the powder, you pick a bullet based on your specific need, and match a powder to propel that bullet at its required velocity to attain that goal within your perimeters.

But I would think Blue Dot should work just fine with any bullet as long as the velocity doesn't exceed the design perimeter of the bullet.
    40Bob likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

My reloading notes indicate that a 10-shot average using a Winchester 158 grain JHP component bullet over 12.6 grains of Blue Dot gave an average velocity of 1402 fps from the 6-inch barrel of a Smith & Wesson Model 27. The load was tested March 27, 1992. Additional notes indicated that the fire ball emitted by this load when used in a 4-inch Smith & Wesson Model 19 was large and intense. "Like a photographic strobe flash - even in the sun" was the effect noted along with the hyperbolic "singed the laces of my shoes."

The load was worked up from data found in the 1978 Sierra manual but the Winchester bullet was used instead of Sierra's product. Work it up for your own revolver, heeding any case head expansion over .002, flattened primers, or sticky extraction.

I'm personally a little leery of Taurus metallurgy, having seen problems with soft steel in components of their revolvers' action parts. Perhaps frames, cylinders, and barrels are held to uniform standards.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

BMC that's one big stinking fireball. lol. I'll work the load data from the speer bullet and report back. As far as Taurus, I've been real pleased. This is my first Taurus product. I was saving for a Glock, but the wheel gunner in me had other plans lol. I'll get my Glock one day.

FWIW, one of my manuals shows a Blue Dot range of 9.6 to 10.7 for a 158 gr. Hornady XTP. Good luck. I've used 2400 often, but AA7 could be a good choice for that bullet, too.

BTW, the Speer GD is a much different design than the XTP which would explain the different OAL.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

I have gone away from Blue Dot since it is so temperature sensitive. Temperatures here can fluctuate 140 degrees seasonally and still be normal.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

I have loaded lots of Blue Dot, it performs well with good velocity. Handloads.com has plenty of info for loading 158 gr jacketed bullets. I wouldn't get too worked up over seating depth, just crimp it on the cannular and don't worry about it.

My Hornady book does not show any loads with that combo for .38 special. In .357 magnum it shows 10.5 grains at 1200fps up to a maximum load of 11.4 grains for 1450fps. with a COL of 1.590 inches
    Those numbers (per the book) are from an 8 3/8 inch model 27 using Hornady/Frontier case and Federal 200 primer.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by likesbigbullets View Post
    I looked at Alliants manual online and they only show listings for Speer bullets with their powder. I have a pound of Blue Dot but no bullets to match

I want to try my 158gr. XTP with my Blue Dot powder because I'd like to try something different than my trusty old HP38 which is kinda fast. Most XTP bullets have a OAL 1.580 with their recommended powders. The Speer GDHP seem to like a 1.575.

Oh, this is with a 4in barrel .357 Taurus M66.
    Alliant data is horrible with bullet selection. This is where experience comes into play. The Gold Dot bullet is a plated bullet, not a true jacketed bullet like you would expect. If you get a Speer manual it will list the GDHP data separate from their TMJ or FMJ data. The GDHP bullets are softer than true jacketed bullets. With OAL, you are adjusting the volume of combustion capacity in the case. Note that the Alliant data is MINIMUM OAL, not maximum OAL.

Bottom line: Use the GDHP data from Alliant to work up your loads. Realize there is room beyond what is published with Blue Dot with a true jacketed bullet. Just start at the start charge and work up as normal.
    glockman10mm likes this.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Links