I think I have everything I need to reload... Let me know if I've missed something.

This is a discussion on I think I have everything I need to reload... Let me know if I've missed something. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Currently loading for .357/.38. Later I will get Dies for .44spl/.44mag Lee Single Stage Breech Lock Challenger Press - Check Lee Carbide 3 die set ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: I think I have everything I need to reload... Let me know if I've missed something.

I think I have everything I need to reload... Let me know if I've missed something.

Currently loading for .357/.38. Later I will get Dies for .44spl/.44mag

Lee Single Stage Breech Lock Challenger Press - Check
    Lee Carbide 3 die set .38spl/.357 - Check (currently enroute via Midsouth Shooters)
    Lee Perfect Powder Measure - Check
    Lee Dipper set - Check
    Frankfort Arsenal Caliper - Check
    Frankfort Arsenal Scale - Check
    Lee Case Conditioning Kit - Check
    Lee Shell Length Gage w/shell holder - Check
    Hornaday One-Shot Case Lube - Check
    Heavy Duty Work Bench - Check
    Lee Breech Lock Die Inserts (total 7) - Check
    Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Ed. - Check
    Hodgon Reloading Guide - Check
    Funnel - Check

Shell Holder Plate - MIA
    Primer tool - MIA

Am I missing anything else?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Brass, bullets, powder and primer?

The more experienced re-loaders* can chime in on the other stuff, if any.

*My reloading press is the Internet and my credit card. (Belated welcome to the forum, by the way).
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

How do you plan to prime your cases?

Do you have some cartridge trays to hold your ammo while it's in process?

At some point you may have a goof-up and you'll need a kinetic bullet puller to disassemble your loads, but that can wait.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    You won't need to lube the cases with carbide sizing dies, and I've read too many horror stories involving OneShot spray lube and stuck cases.

Got a solid bench to work on? The most important thing(s) is to follow the load tables and avoid interruptions. Reloading is simple, although it can sound intimidating. Take it step by step and develop a routine. Consistancy is your aim, not speed.

Enjoy!
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yes, I have a Kinetic hammer. No reload treys (however I think my .38/.357 shells will sit upright when placed in old .44 factory ammo treys). As far as primers, not sure how I'll work that in without a tool, but I've been using the Lee Loader kit and haven't had a problem priming my brass... So I hope I can get started once my dies show up.

Oh, another question... For those of you who are right handed, is there a preferred side of the bench that you prefer to mount your press on?

Yes, have brass, bullets, primers and powder

Look into the hand priming tools... I know guys who prime their sized brass while watching TV.

I'm a righty, and I mounted my progressive on the right side of my bench. I have my trays of brass and box of bullets on my left. Not sure about the Dillons or other progressives, but viewed from above you start with an empty case at about 10 o'clock on the Hornady AP, and the sequence runs CW.
    JDE101 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I mount mine in the center so that I can pull the lever with either hand. I mostly use a single stage press and Ill prep 1000 cases at a time. Then prime and seat bullets as needed. So Ill do 100 or so and switch hands. DR

I use One shot on ALL my pistol brass and I have carbide dies. It makes the process easier the amount of force is less and the press runs smoother. People who get stuck cases with One Shot are also using rifle brass and typically are not using it right. If you get a straight wall pistol round stuck you are doing something completely wrong. Take a gallon zip lock bag with about 1/2 full of brass and spray a few shots of One shot, then shake and allow to sit for about 5 mins.

Am a right handed and my Dillon 650 is mounted on the far left side of the bench, I also sit when reloading.

Accurate and Western powders have a nice reloading guide on their website, I printed off both versions and placed them in a 3 ringed binder.

Very cool guys. I guess I won't sweat the mounting location of my press. I can see how all right handers might have different preferences.

I've used the One Shot Case Lube on all my pistol brass and have not complaints. I've only reloaded with the Lee Loader and my trusty rubber mallet, so that is all I can speak for.

I use One Shot for lubing rifle brass, but it leaves an film which I'd rather not deal with. I see no reason to lube pistol cases being sized in carbide dies - never had a stuck one yet.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I see no reason to lube pistol cases being sized in carbide dies - never had a stuck one yet.
    I have run tens of thousands of pistol and revolver cases through carbide resizing dies without any sort of lubricant. Lubricant isn't needed for pistol or revolver cases with resizing carbide dies.

Links