Prepping brass

Prepping brass

This is a discussion on Prepping brass within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I just ordered 500 starline nickle-plated brass. Is there anything I need to do to prep new brass? Do I need to push it through ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: Prepping brass

Prepping brass

I just ordered 500 starline nickle-plated brass. Is there anything I need to do to prep new brass? Do I need to push it through the sizing die? This is my first time fooling with new brass.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Not sure why you chose nickel-plated brass as it doesn't last as long.

1. Check to make sure the length is correct. I've never had to trim pistol brass but sometimes new brass isn't up to specs.
    2. Resize and load. That way you're starting from a know size condition.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Nickle was the only brass available. I wish the regular brass was in stock, but beggars can't be choosy. Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I trim, resize, and wash them before use. Just so they are in spec before I start. It also lets me put a slightly larger bell on the case the first use. DR

I have never done anything to new brass but load and shoot.
    dukalmighty, jem102 and msgt/ret like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

cool thanks guys

Pretty much what everyone else said here. I havent used new brass yet just range pick ups. And I sort and tumble before reloading.

I do size new brass, just like I would for range pick-up; but I do not trim. Measuring and trimming would be okay if you were are competition target shooter and had a lot of time on your hands.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

I never trim pistol brass,Any New brass I reload I just throw in the case feeder and run thru just like used brass
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

hmmmm.... lots of different methods and all of them seem to do the trick. I'll look in the Starline package and see if they have any recommendations and I'll go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by likesbigbullets View Post
    hmmmm.... lots of different methods and all of them seem to do the trick. I'll look in the Starline package and see if they have any recommendations and I'll go from there.
    I didn't see a lot of different methods, just two. Here's the deal; fired brass has been fire formed to the cylinder or chamber for which it was used. It will automatically be resized during the reloading process by running it thru the decapping die which also removes the old primer.

Virgin brass, ( which is the correct terminology for new/unused brass), is ready to be reloaded as is. It's made for factories that " make" not " reload" ammo.

Rifles particularly benefit from fire forming virgin brass in the chambers for which they will be used.

I doubt you will get much info from a brass company, as they assume the user knows what they are doing with their product.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Cool guys. I appreciate the help. My brass should be here today. I'll sort through each one, re-size and trim if needed.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    First off what are you loading caliber wise?

Straight wall pistol brass I like others never trim.

Rifle Brass, is another story depending on the caliber! 5.56/223 seems like I have to trim that every time. .308 not so much, also depends on if your shooting out of an AR or a Bolt gun. For semis, AR (for example) I I would run through a small base die even if it was new.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

@ Rob, I'm currently loading for a .357mag wheel gun.
    My 500 cases came in yesterday, so I spent the day in my 'arms room' making ammo. I went ahead and trimmed all the brass I used. I found that the new brass wasn't exactly consistent in length. Considering the 500 rounds I'm loading are for when TSHTF, I decided I may as well be anal about it; especially since they are all getting loaded up with 15.5gr H110 and a 158gr XTP (a tad rich for my blood).

My set-up is complete with all the necessities to load now. Thanks for the help guys.

Sponsored Links