question for the lead bullet casting guys

This is a discussion on question for the lead bullet casting guys within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I've been slowly but surely stockpiling lead WW. I don't know much of anything about casting, but I'd like to learn one day. Why are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: question for the lead bullet casting guys

I've been slowly but surely stockpiling lead WW. I don't know much of anything about casting, but I'd like to learn one day.

Why are there so few hollow point molds available? Are they worth doing? When I do get to the point when I'm ready to cast, I'd like to cast my own SD rounds. Not just plinking bullets.

Check out the Lyman molds. I personally really like all lead HP's.

However, don't get stuck on the notion that they are necessary. I'd rather have a good Keith style bullet for any application, including SD.
    Sky Pilot, OD* and dV8r like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Probably due to the fact Lead bullets are pretty much made for target shooting In all reality.I did some research and these guys make HP bullet molds,I believe they may be located overseas.I may look into buying some molds for some hunting loads
    Mp-molds - Cast bullet molds
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Am I correct in assuming that a soft cast, gas checked bullet should be a reliable expander/penetrator?

Well the reason for the gas check is to be able to push a cast bullet at higher velocities. Still requires a hard cast bullet to do it though. A gas check on a soft slug is kinda counter intuitive at a point. Lot of folks have been seriously made dead with cast bullets thru out the years and they can made to be as lethal as any jacketed hollow point in my opinion. Velocity is not always the end all beat all to ballistics. Bullet weight plays a large part on how it will perform hence the afore mentioned Keith designs.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

I never much liked fooling with casting hollow points which are done a bullet at a time unless someone can shed some light on some sort of new modern mold design. Never felt that the hollow point was going to add that much to the stopping power equation with cast bullets. I agree that the semi-wadcutter bullet has the attributes I esteem for self-defense or hunting purposes.

Here's Lyman hollow point mold made for cast bullets for the .38-40 Winchester cartridge. It would also do for .40 S&W and 10mm if the pistol would prove to feed them reliably. I picked it up from new/old stock in a little shop right here on town a couple of years back.

Requires the accessory pin for casting the bullet.
    OD* likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Senior Moderator
    I think its easier to drill a hollow point in a bullet than it is to cast them. I know its a whole lot quicker.

A good lead hollowpoint can be a wickedly efficient killer. I've recovered some that I cast that expanded exactly like a jacketed bullet.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

You make a good point HotGuns. There is a large body of shooters who equate presence of a bullet jacket with enhanced stopping "power." A bullet jacket isn't a vital component, required for effectiveness.

Some of these bullets having hollow points with gaping maws probably do work. I seemed to get uneven expansion results in my ballistics "non-tests" with the hollow points formed in cast bullets made from Lyman molds such as in the above photos as well as the Forster Hollow Pointer. Maybe I just needed to drill a larger hole.
    http://www.mattsbullets.com/index.ph...roducts_id=263

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Senior Moderator
    I think that pure lead seems to work best for the HP's. Even heat treated lead can have hard time expanding depending on what it hits.

Back in the day when lead was just lead, it was soft enough that even a solid point would deform and tear stuff up even at the lower velocities that were common in those times.

I think that when we started pushing bullets faster, the lead got harder, and hollow points came into being, just to replicate the killing efficiency of the lead bullet.

Sometimes it seems like we are going in circles. Lots of people are into the small/fast camp, when fact of the matter is, the big/slow people had lots of proof that lead going slow worked quite well.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

When I was a kid, I would cut an X in the bullet noses to get expansion. Lol, that was funny now that I look back on it.

But way before the " hyper velocity" 22 bullets were made a kid had to do something for entertainment.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I have ,and use, a device for hollow-pointing cast lead bullets after they have been loaded in the cases. it consists of a die like apparatus to hold the case and a drill bit inserted thriugh a bushing to drill out the hollow point. I've had this thing for many years and have no idea when or where I got it.

No, actually, the big-slow-lead people just had a lot of bs stories about how their choice worked, or they got lucky, that's all. At least, that is the case with ccw guns and such loads. You can't extrapoloate from a 12 ga slug down to a 455 Webley. Read the Army Archive report on the Thompson LeGarde tests of the Eley and the Webley on a couple of steers. After 6 shots to the chest with each load, all the steers were still standing after 1 minute, had to be killed with a sledgehammer. The day before, another pair of steers was shot in the guts, one minute per shot, and they were still standing after 6 minutes.

In his books, Elmer tells of shooting cattle with hot .44 special loads. He said that until you got a DEAD SOFT lhp to at least 1000 fps, you did not get any expansion, and at such speeds, the fouling left in the bore was really bad. There is nothing about a copper jacket that can enhance expansion, so guys are kidding themselves about getting real expansion with 230 gr .45 jhp's. They are not likely to get such expansion, in flesh with 200 gr bullets, unless the barrel is 5" long. With plus p 185 gr loads, 4" barrels may work ok, but if you use a little shortie, your only likely performer is the plus P 165 gr load, from CorBon.

what you see with jello, and what you see in flesh and blood, have very little correlation. If you don't believe that, it's fairly simple to shoot some skunks, coons, chucks, jackrabbits, possums, armadillos, nutria and the like. If they run off with a chest hit, what does that tell you? if the exit wound looks just like the entrance wound, what does that tell you?

So what exactly is your point, sifting?

Big-slow-lead effectiveness is a lie? Jello-tests are a lie?

It's all a lie and handguns wont work?

Never said that. Just said that they don't work NEARLY as well as people would have you believe. You can prove this to yourself, any time, on varmints of one sort or another. I did so, 40 years ago, the first time, and I can remember being SO PO'D at all the lies I'd been told about .45 ball and swc's.

My experience mimics yours to a great degree except that I always enjoy good results and perfect satisfaction one the usual run of varmints and critters using lead semi-wadcutter ammunition. They work much better than most people give them credit for doing! This is an old thread of an even much older narrative I originally wrote for a couple of other forums when I first stuck it up here on Defensive Carry.
    S&W Model 10: A Revolver For the Long Haul

I'm going to "upset the apple cart" and further assert that round nose lead .38 Special ammunition is much more effective than it's been given credit for despite what has been claimed over the years, both in print and on firearms forums.

Good hits are golden and "trick" bullets won't make up for poor hits.
    Eric357 and Exsimguy1 like this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links