XTP in place of GDHP

This is a discussion on XTP in place of GDHP within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I'm wanting to give this load data a try. I don't have any Speer GDHP, but I do have the XTP HP. Can I use ...

Thread: XTP in place of GDHP

XTP in place of GDHP

I'm wanting to give this load data a try. I don't have any Speer GDHP, but I do have the XTP HP. Can I use my XTP in place of the Gold Dot? Both bullets are 158gr JHP, so it looks promising. I've listed the Alliant data and URL below. I'll start at 9.0 and work up.

Minimum OAL(inches)
    Bbl Length
    Primer
    Powder
    Charge Weight
    grains)
    Velocity
    (fps)
    1.575 10 CCI 500 Blue Dot 10.2 1,188

Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide

2. Remove Ads

No. The Gold Dot is a plated bullet, not jacketed. The XTP has a deeper hollow point cavity than other brand hollow points, thus making the bullet longer than others to make the same weight. This makes the bearing surface longer and increases friction in the bore.

I'm assuming .357 Magnum given the OAL and primer type.

Lyman #48 lists the 158gr XTP using Blue Dot. 9.6gr starting for 929fps and 10.7gr max for 1158fps. Velocities from 4 inch universal receiver. CCI 550 primer 1.590 OAL.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Yes you can use any bullet, but start at the minimum charge weight and work up. You could even use a cast bullet.

Fwiw, if you are loading for a 357 magnum, H-110 and 2400 are the powders you should be using for maximum velocity.

But Tubby is correct in the two bullets are not really the same. But you can compensate for this by seating depth.

Personally, when I use jacketed bullets, the XTP or Nosler are all that I desire.

Make sure and use a chrono, because if you don't, you are wasting your time.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Tubby, thanks for the load data. I feel much better with the load data you posted. I didn't realize these bullets were so different.

Glockman, I don't have access to a chrono. I've used up my H110, and powders are slim picking right now so I decided to try out the blue dot that's been sitting around. I've used it on a few lead bullets, but I'd really like to see how it shoots with my xtp.

I tried out the Blue Dot today. I wasn't all that impressed with it. I think I'll stick with HP-38 for my light magnum carry loads and H110 for my Battle loads.

Glockman I had a feeling you were right, but I had to put the idea to the test. Maybe I can work up a similar, light .38 spl load. All my rounds hit the target area, but non of them seemed to group.

Thanks again for the load data Tubby.

Links