First Casts 230 Truncated Cones.

This is a discussion on First Casts 230 Truncated Cones. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; First cast BOOLITS hehehehehehehehehehehh 230 grain Truncated Cones Lee 2 cavity aluminum mold tumble lubed with lee ALOX...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Rob99VMI04
  • 1 Post By QKShooter
  • 1 Post By Rob99VMI04
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: First Casts 230 Truncated Cones.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality

First cast BOOLITS hehehehehehehehehehehh
    230 grain Truncated Cones
    Lee 2 cavity aluminum mold
    tumble lubed with lee ALOX

bmcgilvray and OD* like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Not bad! They look a little "frosty", which is just a temperature issue with the lead.
    But they should shoot just fine.
    Looks like you are off to a great start.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Glockman---they look frosty because they have been tumble lubed plus lighting is bad. They are actually pretty shiny.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Glockman---they look frosty because they have been tumble lubed plus lighting is bad. They are actually pretty shiny.
    10-4. Probably the pic on this phone screen doesn't help.
    Anyway, congrats!
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Administrator
    Since all of our bullet casters will be dropping into this thread I thought I would just add this in mostly because I just remembered it.

This local guy that used to reload all of my .45 acp Lead Round Nose for me used to add a couple of feet of this into his casting Lead. It has to be HARRIS STAY-BRITE.

He passed away some years ago. Really decent older WWII Vet that used to charge me almost nothing as long as I brought him back the brass.

I would certainly always do that and I would always buy him something really nice every Christmas.

This sells for about $30.00 for a one pound roll on ebay...so it's not cheap stuff but, he swore that adding some of it to his casting metal greatly improved everything from appearance to accuracy.

I guess that since he would only add a couple of feet of it into each melt one roll lasted a modestly long time.

SO...I thought I would just stick this in here since it really does not warrant or need its own thread.

So here it is (below) in case anybody wants to experiment with it.

likesbigbullets likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Since all of our bullet casters will be dropping into this thread I thought I would just add this in mostly because I just remembered it.

This local guy that used to reload all of my .45 acp Lead Round Nose for me used to add a couple of feet of this into his casting Lead. It has to be HARRIS STAY-BRITE.

He passed away some years ago. Really decent older WWII Vet that used to charge me almost nothing as long as I brought him back the brass.

I would certainly always do that and I would always buy him something really nice every Christmas.

This sells for about $30.00 for a one pound roll on ebay...so it's not cheap stuff but, he swore that adding some of it to his casting metal greatly improved everything from appearance to accuracy.

I guess that since he would only add a couple of feet of it into each melt one roll lasted a modestly long time.

SO...I thought I would just stick this in here since it really does not warrant or need its own thread.

So here it is (below) in case anybody wants to experiment with it.

Thanks for the heads up! Picked some up from Lowes Yesterday. Made another 350 230 TC's took me 2 hours. Man I will say this these two cavity molds STINK!!!!!!
    went to Midway this morning backorder a 6 banger, with handles, and sizer, LEE 124 Grain 9mm Mold.

PS I don't know why I haven't been casting for years!!! This is so much fun! And CHEAP! SO far 850 230 Grain bullets have costed me about $5.00 yes thats $5.00. I travel alot for work, so I used my Marriots rewards to get me $300 in cabelas Gift cards in which I got my initial equipment pot, and etc...... PS I love MARRIOT REWARDS.....
    QKShooter likes this.

Yep People can't believe it when I tell them I reload for about .05 cents a round,not including my time.I buy bulk powder and primers so I'm only paying about .02 cents a primer and about $13.00 pound for powder
    QKShooter likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I cast mine to be a bit frosty on purpose. It helps hold the lube to the bullet and seems to make them harder. DR

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    First cast BOOLITS hehehehehehehehehehehh
    230 grain Truncated Cones
    Lee 2 cavity aluminum mold
    tumble lubed with lee ALOX

The solder is for the tin content. It's supposed to fill out the mold nicer. Most any 95/5 plumbing solder will do. I just ordered the Lyman 4 cavity molds for 9mm,.40, and .45. Can't wait to try them out. I have a single mould for a 124 gr 9mm hollow point as well.
    Someone told me the steel molds are easier to keep a constant temperature as the aluminum ones cool off too quickly.

Sponsored Links