Which Scale?

This is a discussion on Which Scale? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I just started reloading, I'm in need of an electronic scale for weighing powder charges, I would like to hear everyone's experiences with different types ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By Exsimguy1

Thread: Which Scale?

Which Scale?

I just started reloading, I'm in need of an electronic scale for weighing powder charges, I would like to hear everyone's experiences with different types of electronic scales.
    Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Do not use the Harbor Freight model. It only is accurate down to + or - .5 grains. That's enough to blow up a gun. DR

I was looking at a hornady model... Any opinions?

Reloaders' Nest has some good info, reviews, forum discussions on all things reloading.

Reloading Equipment @ www.reloadersnest.com .
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I use the Lyman 1000. Supposed to be accurate + or - to .1 grain. Havent had any issues with it yet and had it now going on 4 years.

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar
    I`ve been using a cheapo MTM digital scale for about 3 years,works fine BUT I still swing every tenth load on the beam. Safe Not Sorry.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Gotta be electronic? My 30-year-old RCBS 505 beamer has been 100% reliable. I've never had to wait for it to arm up or change the batteries.
    marcclarke and high pockets like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

This one has good reviews on amazon and also goes to the .1 Its the Hornady Electronic Scale.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

Scales?? Take your choice.
    I have 1 Lyman beam scale, 1 Dillon beam scale, a Dillon electric scale and a RCBS Chargemaster. The chargemaster gets the most use.
    Flashbacks:
    It is better that I have flashbacks about them, then them having flashbacks about me

USMC RET 1961-1971

Sponsor
    I like my Hornady GS-1500.

Cheap and reliable to date. You still want to have a quality balance to verify the calibration of your digital from time to time.

Also make sure you educate your self as to the quirks of precision digital scales. They are very susceptible to outside influence such as air flow, vibration and temperature. In reality, any precision measuring devise is but the digital scales can be a bit more finicky than a high end triple beam or other quality analog equipment. Check out any good lab. Their scales are all mounted on extremely heavy, stable stone bases and enclosed in glass or plastic housings to eliminate ambient air and vibrational influences.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

I've used inexpensive and expensive and, hands down, the best I've used is the Dillon D-terminator (on the expensive end). Reliable, accurate, runs AC/DC and easy to calibrate. You might skimp on some reloading equipment, but be very careful when it comes to scales; inaccurate powder weights can mean big trouble. When you are weighing powder charges, you should be absolutely confident in the scale (balance or electronic) you are using.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

I have had several electronic scales and never trusted any of them 100%. I'm sticking with my balance beam.

I have a Frankford Aresenal battery powered scale that I'm about to take a hammer to. It worked great for about a year, then it would be 50/50 if I could get it to even turn on, even with completely fresh batteries. Been using a beam scale lately, but am planning on getting a Lyman digital scale soon.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    I have had several electronic scales and never trusted any of them 100%. I'm sticking with my balance beam.
    My RCBS (Ohaus) 10-10 has been reliable and accurate since the early 1970's, would not trade it for any digital.

Terry
    marcclarke likes this.

Links