Small Pistol Primer Price?

This is a discussion on Small Pistol Primer Price? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I have yet to start reloading. So far I've only been collecting my brass. Since reloading is my ultimate goal, I figure i will pick ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Small Pistol Primer Price?

I have yet to start reloading. So far I've only been collecting my brass. Since reloading is my ultimate goal, I figure i will pick up the required parts etc as I find them and have money for them. There is an ad in my local area for small pistol primers, 1000 of them, for 38$. Is that a decent price? Also, being that I want to reload 9mm and 40cal mostly, do I need small or large? I know I need a wealth of knowledge before I start, at this point I'm just gathering things up.

$38 is a good price for 1000 primers. Get a reloading manual and read as much as you can. Im not sure with the 40 but 9mm calls for small pistol primers. Good luck and happy reloading.

These days $38 is a decent price. My local supply place just went to $40/K on the latest shipment they received. As far as I know both 9mm and .40 will use small pistol primers. I have seen a small amount of .45ACP use small primers, however large primer is more common in .45ACP

I should specify the prices I'm quoting are for CCI primers.

You guys are lucky. I have everything else I need but primers are the elusive little creatures around these parts. They are scarce.

Ok,thanks guys. This is for Winchester primers. Found out the guy is in the next town down from me. Sixgun, if shipping wasn't so expensive for them I'd send you some

Quote Originally Posted by JPeterson View Post
    Ok,thanks guys. This is for Winchester primers. Found out the guy is in the next town down from me. Sixgun, if shipping wasn't so expensive for them I'd send you some
    Thanks bro. Shipping primers and powder is way expensive with the hazmat fees they charge. Stuff is starting to come around. Ive got a bunch loaded up right now to do me for a while. Have a good one and stay safe.
    JPeterson likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Local LGS is the lonely place around carrying primers and the last box of 1000 I got was $45. It is what it is. I normally don't buy a thousand, prefer 200-300, but that's what they had.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

pretty good price and yes small primers for 9mm and .40 S&W

primers are the only thing I've been worried about getting have been stocked up well on everything else. Jump on this deal

I'm seeing small pistol and small rifle for about $3.50/100 around here, but they're hit or miss as to availability, so that's an OK price.

$35/1000 is normal here from local cowboys with FFL. Sportsman's Warehouse is $38 to $40, doesn't matter which size.
    Cherokee SLim
    NRA, SASS #72605, ROII, WBRO, Ocoee Rangers, Tennessee Mountain Maurauders. Semper Fi

i cant find any here in SE Wisconsin! jump on it man
    Glock 23 Gen 4
    Bravo Company AR-15

Quote Originally Posted by sixgun View Post
    $38 is a good price for 1000 primers. Get a reloading manual and read as much as you can. Im not sure with the 40 but 9mm calls for small pistol primers. Good luck and happy reloading.

I was gonna ask "on what planet is that a good price?" but I suppose nowadays that's not bad. Last time I bought primers they were less than 1/2 that, maybe 1/3 that price.
    "When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." - Sinclair Lewis

“You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.” - Naguib Mahfouz

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    invoice.jpg

With shipping, hazmat fees, etc, I just got my invoice from Powder Valley for 8,000 primers (5k small, 3k large) for $232.95.

$232.95/8,000 = $.029 each.

So $0.03 cents each

Anything under $40 per K is go for it. My LGS has Federal Small and Large Pistol priced at $46 and $48 per K. Glad I loaded up in early 2008! I also loaded up in the 1990's and the boxes have $15 per K on them. Those are Winchester. Still shooting primers from the 1990's.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

A year ago they averaged $23.00/1000ct. But now? I'd pay $38.00 for 1000
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links