Federal 155 Grain HST Bullets

This is a discussion on Federal 155 Grain HST Bullets within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I recently was able to purchase 500 pulled Federal 155 grain HST bullets. I am now finding it impossible to locate any information for reloading ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sevtchevlle

Thread: Federal 155 Grain HST Bullets

I recently was able to purchase 500 pulled Federal 155 grain HST bullets. I am now finding it impossible to locate any information for reloading them. They do seem longer in length (i.e. HST is .720, Hornady XTP .553). Can anyone provide a coal for a loaded Federal 155 gn HST and any powder data. Looking to load them to 1160 FPS and will be using them in a Ruger SR40C. Thanks in advance for any infromation.

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Ck the Hornady reloading manual. Their 155 XTP should provide a reasonable starting point.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

That may be the starting point as I have looked at that data. Hope someone can provide some info and the very least a case overall length. Don't like the idea of making up loads, driving 20 miles to test them. The other problem is I do not have a chronograph. If it comes to it, pull the barrel, make dummy rounds checking chamber length to make sure the fit and go into battery, adjust length to fit magazine, pull bullets and make ammo. My best senerio is someone has the info available and will share.

I have about 3k worth of the same HST, you won't find manufacture load data for that bullet.
    Your best bet for the OAL is to find someone with factory 155 HST and have them measure the round. I personally plan on just making a dummy round adjusting the length til it fits my gun, FNX40.
    Also keep in mind the XTP and the Speer gold dots are plated and the HST is a true jacketed. Nosler has a jacketed round at 150 grs, probably provide better starting load data.

Don't know if it helps but both my factory 180 gr HST and 155 gr Hydra-shok rounds measure at 1.125
    CLK_IDAHO likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CLK_IDAHO View Post
    I recently was able to purchase 500 pulled Federal 155 grain HST bullets. I am now finding it impossible to locate any information for reloading them. They do seem longer in length (i.e. HST is .720, Hornady XTP .553). Can anyone provide a coal for a loaded Federal 155 gn HST and any powder data. Looking to load them to 1160 FPS and will be using them in a Ruger SR40C. Thanks in advance for any infromation.
    Look here - over 2 dozen 155 gr loads. http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Looks like all the .40 ammo is loaded to 1.120-1.125" OAL, so the primary variable to control case pressure is charge weight. Find a powder you like; slower-burning powders seem to be more flexible with charge weights. Start low and check for accuracy and function in maybe 0.2 grain increments.

You're a little handicapped if you can't chrono your loads, but assuming these are for practice and not regular defensive use, then function, accuracy and relative cleanliness are your drivers.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks for the information. Looks like I am going to have to work up the load since the HST is a longer bullet. Then I will need to find a like minded individual who has a chrono and wants to go shooting or let me borrow it. Seems as no one has a factory load to measure and supply the case overall length. Still hoping though.

Thanks for the info. I had already planned on pulling the barrel and making dummy loads then adjusting 2 - 3 thousands. From there I will adjust as needed for magazine fit and feed. I have the Ruger SR40c. No problems with it so far, of course only a couple hundred rounds through it. Thanks for the tip on the Nosler. I did not realize the XTP and GD were plated.

Quote Originally Posted by sevtchevlle View Post
    I
    Also keep in mind the XTP and the Speer gold dots are plated and the HST is a true jacketed.
    Are you sure about that? That's not what Hornady and Speer state...

Speer Ammo - Construction

Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Handgun :: Choose by Bullet Type :: XTP®
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Don't know about XTP's but I do know Gold Dots are jacketed, it's just a bonded jacket. That's different than plated.

SEVTCHEVLLI, do you have a load you worked up and would share. Also, if you have 3k, would you think of selling any. I have a reloader who will work with me on the load workup and he has a chronograph. He is looking for some hollow point bullets as he pours his own lead ones. He is a chemist and has the equipment for pouring/molding/testing the lead hardness. It will be nice to get the load worked out and the bullets loaded.

I did find a box of Federal HST for sale on line. Would have been $53.00 shipped to my place. Way to expensive.

Those of you who responded, Thank You very much. I appreciated it.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Don't know about XTP's but I do know Gold Dots are jacketed, it's just a bonded jacket. That's different than plated.
    Speers construction blurb talks about the "jacket" being "bonded" one molecule at a time = Plated

Terry

Okay guys. Life got in the way and I never did get a load worked up for the .40 155 Grain Federal HST bullets. The ammo will be used in a Ruger SR40c.

As stated much earlier, no reloading data is available for this bullet. I will be using Wichester AutoComp powder and would like to get 1160 FPS. I know the coal for Federal 180 gn HST is 1.250 as stated in an earlier answer.

The load data I can find is for the 155 gn Horady XTP for which 7.4 gn of powder would give approximately 1160 fps.. Minimum powder for that load is 7.0 gn.

The Federal 155 gn HST is .02 longer. Since it will fill more of the case, I think I will reach the 1160 fps with less powder as the bullet will fill more of the case. Not sure that with the longer bullet if I should or could reduce the minimum powder weight to something like 6.8. Minimum powder charge for the 165 gn XTP is 6.5 gn.

Again, as before: If anyone has a factory Federal 155 gn HST and could/would provide the coal, it would be appreciated.
    In addition, if anyone has reloaded this bullet and could provide data, I would love to have some. I realize that each pistol is different and fps/velocity will vary.

In addition, you may not want to provide the information due to liability. If anyone provides the requested information, I will not hold anyone responsible for its use except myself. If you would like, you could email the information to me at: cecil_kester@hotmail.com.

Thanks for your help and assistance

I am finally getting to start this project, again. Did you ever get a load worked up for these bullets? If you would share the load, you can send it to me at: cecil_kester@hotmail.com. I will assume all liability for use of this load and in no way hold you responsible.

Quote Originally Posted by sevtchevlle View Post
    I have about 3k worth of the same HST, you won't find manufacture load data for that bullet.
    Your best bet for the OAL is to find someone with factory 155 HST and have them measure the round. I personally plan on just making a dummy round adjusting the length til it fits my gun, FNX40.
    Also keep in mind the XTP and the Speer gold dots are plated and the HST is a true jacketed. Nosler has a jacketed round at 150 grs, probably provide better starting load data.

Don't know if it helps but both my factory 180 gr HST and 155 gr Hydra-shok rounds measure at 1.125

Links