Reloading ammo for the HK USP.

This is a discussion on Reloading ammo for the HK USP. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I have a HK USP .45 and I want to reload my own ammo for target and general plinking. I was going to use Speer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading ammo for the HK USP.

Reloading ammo for the HK USP.

I have a HK USP .45 and I want to reload my own ammo for
    target and general plinking. I was going to use Speer 200gr.
    lead SWC. I was told these lead bullets will cause excessive
    fouling in this style barrel. Is this true? Is it safe? Any input
    would be appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Former Member Array The Tourist's Avatar
    If the package says \'swaged'on it, then theres a good chance the bullets will lead the barrel.

Swaged bullets are made from soft lead wire which is fed through a machine that wallops the bullet design like a cookie cutter.

I cast my own bullets. I use old truck wheels weights with arsenic or antimony in their construction and add tin or solder. I keep a bucket of ice between my knees and drop the sprue onto the table, and then drop the bullets into the ice.

I drive my 429421 (the \'no gas check'profile) slugs fairly fast through a SW 629-5, and I get minimum leading which cleans out easily with a jag of Nevr-Dull.

BTW, I shoot the same 200 grain profile you do in my USP SW .40 which was initially purchased for my Bren Ten. It is the Hensley & Gibbs 4-ganger truncated cone profile.

I have not had anyluck shooting lead though my 45 usp to much leading even with hard cast bullets so i just shoot jacketed out of it now.

Hk does advise against lead bullets also

I remember reading somewhere the you should never use lead bullets in guns with a barrel that has Polygonal bore. I think that many of problems with Glocks going Ka Boom is the Polygonal bore. From what I can remember (I read this a long time ago) if you do use lead make sure you keep the bore clean otherwise Ka boom. Don\'t trust my word on this because I read about it a few years ago and my memory could be faulty.

silvercorvette your right this is the problem with a lot of Kb\'s in the earlydays in glocks the polygonal rifling strips more lead off than a std rifled barrel ... Thats why they say no loed in them you have to stay on top of it..

i shot hard cast bullets i had cast and used in my 1911 and my ruger with no probs in 15 rounds the barrel was leaded bad in HK ... In the other guns you couldnt even tell

Thanks for the input guys. My mind has been made up, to avoid any
    problems I think I will just stick to the jacketed bullets.

Lead Moderator
    No problems with my .40 USP and lead bullets. Have shot over 300 rnds. so far. I do clean my gun after each time of use, so it may make all the diffrence.

Smile

I've been shooting a 200 gn SWC now for 2 years with no problem, but the bullets I buy have a very high silver content,(real shiny) and are there fore very hard. A local guy casts them N buys his lead from a silver mine in 40,000 lb lots. The only dirty part is my Unique powder that I use, I understad the new stuff is graphite free and cleaner shooting, I plan on getting some after I use up the 8 lbs I have now. PS aren't the HK's great they will cycle anything.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I know some people get deals must be a local thin but with it only costing me 2-3$ more for FMJ's ill stick with them .. Except in a wheelie i love heavy cast but there a outragous price anymore.

Lead Moderator
    Love my HK USP . Had it since 93' and no problems. I found the Unique powder does smoke a bit. Got some Titegroup to try once the Unique is gone.

Rocky does yours have a std barrel or the poy i know the early Hk's Had a std rifled barrel

Lead Moderator
    ya know I really never thought about it. Will have to research it and let ya know.

Hey Reg440! I'm a reloader and have used 165 gr. and unique blue dot powder, since 96 in my USP 40, love it! But you just can't beat the winchester white box in my eye's. I've had really good range shoots with the White box. My USP .40 DOES NOT like lead!!!! Can't hit the broad side of a barn! Ok......can't hit it with anything! but the lead is noticably all over the place. I carry Hydra Shok for defensive round.

Lead Moderator
    Checked, and found my USP is a 93' build and the barrel doesn't look to be polygonal rifled. I have switched to plated bullets just in case , but haven't seen any excessive leading.

Hey Rocky,...How did you look up when your H&K was made??? Interested! G

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links