Live Primed case stuck in resizing die!

This is a discussion on Live Primed case stuck in resizing die! within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Before you all ask, I use the resizing die (minus the decapping rod) in my priming stage of my Loadmaster to help keep the 223 ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Devilsclaw
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Live Primed case stuck in resizing die!

Live Primed case stuck in resizing die!

Before you all ask, I use the resizing die (minus the decapping rod) in my priming stage of my Loadmaster to help keep the 223 cartridge line up. Low and behold I have a live, primed 223 case stuck in my resizing die, and the rim is pulled off. What now. I have sprayed some penetrating oil in the case hoping to deactivate the primer so I can deprime and then hammer the case out with a punch. Question if I use a punch from the inside that doesn't pierce the primer, rather seats on the surrounding back of cartridge, can the primer still detonate? And please save all the " why would you resize a primed case?" I've always used this method, and never been stuck. I've completed 100 rounds prior to this in this loading session without a problem. Thx.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

2. Remove Ads

Yes it can but highly unlikely. I've even unintentionally deprived a live primer or two with no bang. Go ahead and tap it out, even if it goes off only thing it will do is just scare the dickens outta you.
    Sky Pilot likes this.

Okay if you have a vice lock the die in it and then put a nail in a pair of pliers with safety glasses on use a hammer and pop the primer,it's gonna be like popping a cap.then you need to get a tapping kit or borrow one and drill and tap the bottom of the case I think it will be for a 3/16 bolt,then using a bolt and washer that threads into the tapped hole and a deep set socket that fits over the case against the die start turning the bolt in it will draw the stuck case out.
    Do not try to beat it out with a punch,if the punch knocks the base off you can throw the die away
    I hope your using case lube when resizing rifle brass,I like the Dillon case lube,never had a case get stuck with it
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Okay if you have a vice lock the die in it and then put a nail in a pair of pliers with safety glasses on use a hammer and pop the primer,it's gonna be like popping a cap.then you need to get a tapping kit or borrow one and drill and tap the bottom of the case,then using a bolt and washer that threads into the tapped hole and a deep set socket that fits over the case against the die start turning the bolt in it will draw the stuck case out.
    Do not try to beat it out with a punch,if the punch knocks the base off you can throw the die away
    That's what I figured. I've never had a primer go off so didn't know what to expect.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Primers are surprising loud. Fire a primed empty case and see. After you're done, invest in a RCBS stuck case remover. It's worth it.
    marcclarke likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sponsor
    The penetrating oil should have deactivated the primer and as others have said, the primer is loud but not really dangerous by it's self any way.

I'd suggest going to a Lee collet neck sizing die to center up for priming if you deem it necessary. If you keep running un-lubed cases(even after initial resizing) into the full length sizing die, this will not be your last stuck case.

BTW, you can punch the stuck case out with the decapping pin in the Lee dies. This is why I use Lee full length resizers for my .223
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by ConcealedinPA View Post
    I've always used this method, and never been stuck.
    Until now.

You might want to examine exactly what your steps were that led to your current dilemma.

With all due respect to your previous trouble-free reloading technique, I doubt there is anyone out there who would recommend what you're doing. I'm trying to understand the reasoning behind your technique, and the only thing that comes to my mind is that you want to properly index your shell plate as you're seating a bullet - but do speak up if I'm guessing wrong. I'm also assuming you prime your brass independently and not as part of the press "progression."

In light of the trouble you're run into, which I think reveals a systematic flaw likely to repeat itself, why not just use the machine's priming feature? And if your press isn't properly indexing the shell plate, then it is either out of adjustment or it needs servicing.

The good news is that at worst you'll get a loud bang if that primer detonates. Wear gloves and eyepro.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Primers are surprising loud. Fire a primed empty case and see. After you're done, invest in a RCBS stuck case remover. It's worth it.
    Yep, they're good tools, but you need to start with an empty primer pocket... and that's not the OP's situation.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Sponsor
    gasmitty,

The Lee Load Master seats the primer on the down stroke of the handle/up stroke of the carrier at station two. With straight walled pistol cartridges, a lot of folks(myself included) like to de-prime in station one and resize in station two. This utilizes the resizing die to index the case perfectly with the priming plunger.

I'd never do this with a full length resizing die for a necked rifle cartridge. But then again, I wouldn't run a progressive for a rifle load either.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Links