Going to try reloading

This is a discussion on Going to try reloading within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Shooting over 43 years it is time to try reloading. I simply burn up to much ammo not to in the current market. I looked ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Going to try reloading

Going to try reloading

Shooting over 43 years it is time to try reloading. I simply burn up to much ammo not to in the current market.
    I looked into it before and collected a lot of information. Like most things every product had those that swore by it and those that bashed it.
    I will start out with 9mm but will expand to 380,38,.45 down the road 5.56 if all goes well. The last I will try is 308 and 7.62X39 I have a lot of good brass for them .
    Will place an order for the Lee pro 1000 for the 100-250 rounds a month I use up right now it should do.
    The primer feed thing seems to go back and forth depending on who you listen to.
    So load me up with pro's and cons power, primes bullets to stick in them
    I am a hard head but do listen
    StormRhydr likes this.

2. Remove Ads

Starting with straight-wall pistol cases is a good way to go. The areas that require the most attention at first (IMO) are bullet seating depth and crimp.

Power? What 9mm load do you shoot now that you'd like to emulate with reloads? I'd aim for that - bullet weight and velocity to start. Vary your powder charge a little to see what's most accurate.

Bullets? I shoot a lot of .45 and I use lead bullets - not plated or jacketed. Actually, I use moly-coated bullets since there's a local supplier (Billy Bullets) so there's no lube to smoke or to melt in this beastly hot AZ weather. At my weekly steel matches, I'd say most folks shoot cast lead bullets, some use the plated ones which are a bit more expensive. Almost no one (club competitors) who reloads uses jacketed bullets if they have to buy them - they're expensive and offer scant advantage.

Primers - I use what's available. Ammo distributor Miwall is always at the big shows and has a good supply of Winchester primers, also a narrower range of CCI. So far in 2+ years of reloading (not quite 10k rounds) I've never had a Win primer fail to go bang.

Powder? Depends on the recipe you like. For pistol rounds, I started with TiteGroup which is economical and meters very well. It's great for .45 but was a little too fast-burning for my comfort in .38 Special, so I've moved to Unique for that. But there's a lot to choose from that would serve your stated calibers - Power Pistol, WW231, Bullseye and lots more. Id get at least two reloading manuals and compare notes on the loads to find yourself a good starting load.
    QKShooter, StormRhydr and Stevew like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    I've been contemplating reloading for the last few years it's on my agenda when my MBA is finished let us know how it goes and what work for what gun
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

IMHO, you should go with the hornady single stage kit. They've got a great warranty and their customer service is pretty awesome.
    StormRhydr likes this.

I have been reloading shotshell since age 12. And thats a while ago. Just this year I took the plunge on loading brass. Starting with 9mm & .223.

There is some crossover between the two kinds of reloading, and one thing Id advise you, is to get a number of reloading manuals. The Lee loader you are getting may well come with their loading book. If so, thats a good one to have, in my opinion. But, especially in todays world, I think you need more than one.

Heres why; In the good old days before obama, you could pick out ONE load per caliber that was your favorite, then either order, or go to the store, and pick up all the various ingredients, with little or no trouble.

Today you cant. You need to be able to vary loads according to what you can find. Each manual will have different loads, with different powders, etc.

The best example I can give; during the worst of this shortage I went to bass pro shop in nashville. To the reloading powder section. There were a number of people already there, and VERY few powders left on the shelf. It would be accurate to say the shelves were all but empty.

Before going to the store, I made a copy of 9mm load data from the Lee manual. I managed to get 3 bottles of different powders that would work. The other people all were still just standing there, staring at the shelves. One commented on me bringing a "cheat sheet".

Heres what I think was happening to the other people who just stared at the shelves, while I was taking things off them; They almost certainly knew their favorite powers. And the store was out of them. They didnt have a load book with them, so what was left on the shelves was useless to them, as they didnt know if it would work for them.

I did, btw, offer that one fellow my copy of load data, before I left.

Hope that helps, and makes sense to you. Get that load data manual right off the bat. It will tell you what to buy/what you can use.

Oh! You may not know this yet, but the dies from one maker will fit your press as well. Ie RCBS, HORNADY, etc. Get the 4 die or delux sets from Lee. They are good, and come with an additional die (4) instead of a standard 3 die set, and you would buy the 4th regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjason6 View Post
    IMHO, you should go with the hornady single stage kit. They've got a great warranty and their customer service is pretty awesome.
    Thats the one I went with. Seems very good.

Do any of the sponsors deal in Reloading equipment? While I do not like buying on line I do throw them some sales now and then.

Distinguished Member
    For a newbie reloader a progressive press might be a bit much. I used a Lee single stage for many years before I went to a turret. I still don't have a progressive and probably will never get one. Even on my single stage I could load 100+ rounds an hour. The real cost saving, for me, is casting my own bullets. I shoot lead out of every handgun caliber I have. I can't stress the single stage enough for starting out. Reloading can be very relaxing, but it also demands attention. I'm sure the 1000 pro is a great press, there are many things going on at once. Good luck and enjoy your new hobby.

Distinguished Member
    They are not sponsors, but check out Titan Reloading. They are in Hartford, WI I have always had excellent service from them. good luck...www.titanreloading.com/

Main thing on the Pro 1000 primer feed is to keep it clean and make absolutely sure the chute never gets less than 50% full. If you ever have any problems just PM me. I could write a book on that machine.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    While it can be done, I wouldn't recommend anyone start out on a progressive. That's akin to wanting to learn to ride a bicycle so you hop on a Harley. Plus, I find the versatility of a single-stage press and simplicity worth the investment.

Reloading is simple, but you can make it complicated if you don't follow simple procedures. Size, prime, powder, seat, crimp, done. Sounds easy, and it can be. Reloading is a hobby unto itself. When you get to the rifle stage, you'll be amazed how much you can improve accuracy of a rifle with a load you've hand-tuned specifically for your rifle.
    TX expat likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

+1 on the cheat sheet Stormrhyder mentioned. There are multiple brands/styles of components one can use and this would be extremely helpful in case the #1 choice of something is out. I got a press for Christmas and have not loaded on round...just found some primers, now looking for powder. Seems the components went the way of ammo and AR15s for a while. Hoping it settles soon. $27.50 hazmat fee sucks also for shipping powder and primers
    StormRhydr likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsclaw View Post
    Main thing on the Pro 1000 primer feed is to keep it clean and make absolutely sure the chute never gets less than 50% full. If you ever have any problems just PM me. I could write a book on that machine.
    Thanks you maybe hearing form my I am sure I can handle it just been putting it off

Sponsor
    I'll add my vote for Titan Reloading. Excellent CS and great prices.

I'd suggest going with the Lee 4 station turret press to start with. It's easy to set up and can be used as single station, 4-stage manual index or 4-station auto index without having to make any adjustments other than removing the indexing shaft. It's the most versatile of the Lee presses. I run a Load Master for my pistol cartridges but I do my .223 on the turret press. Lee puts out several different packages that will give you everything you need but dies and manuals.
    Warmon likes this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

VIP Member
    Enjoy reloading! I'm sure you'll be happy that you made the investment, it's a great hobby and being more self sufficient is good.

You'll find that in order to really maximize the savings that reloading offers, you have to buy in bulk. I wouldn't recommend doing this until you have some set components though because you don't want to buy a ton of something and then find out that a different component would have worked better for you; and there are plenty of components to choose from so sometimes the best thing to do is just give one a shot and see how it works for you. Win 231 and Unique are two good all around pistol powders. I do most of my pistol rounds with Power Pistol, which some find sort of loud and flashy but it works well for my purposes.

Here's a couple of good links for you to bookmark:

Powder Valley, Inc. Great supplier for bullets, powder and primers, very reliable and price competitive. One stop shop!
    Missouri Bullet Company Cast bullets
    Welcome Plated bullets
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links