Anyone using Hodgdon CFE 223?

This is a discussion on Anyone using Hodgdon CFE 223? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I loaded 30 rds of .223 using this powder. Accurate results and good cycling, but the ejection of cases was WEAK. They would go 12 ...

Thread: Anyone using Hodgdon CFE 223?

I loaded 30 rds of .223 using this powder. Accurate results and good cycling, but the ejection of cases was WEAK. They would go 12 inches b4 dropping. I used Hodgdons suggested start weight of 26gn beneath a Sierra 55gr SP. their max load is 27.8 for this bullet. It is set at 2.20 COL per Hodgdon as well. I'm hoping I can just split the difference for the next couple I try. FYI I'm shooting a Stag Arms AR Model 2T w/ 16" barrel (1/9). Anyone familiar with this powder? Thx
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

Wow, Nobody??? This stuff must be collecting dust on the shelves. Guess I'll go stock up!!!LOL
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I'd try it if I could find it locally. I shoot a bolter .223, so weak ejection isn't an issue. It's supposed to be pretty good powder.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

LGS recommended it highly, and sold me his last 2 pounds. So I had to buy it. I'm sure I'll work it up 1 gr. and get some good results.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

I've used it in 223 mini 14 Seems to be ok. I can't say more about it cause I haven't fired that many rounds with it. My barrel was dirty when I tested the CFE loads and it was cleaner afterwards. I am also going to work up for 30-30 and compare with my W748 loads.

I've used it in a variety of calibers, 350 Rem Mag, 8mm Mauser and 308 Win. It does a good job of getting velocity, accuracy good, pressure curve predictable. In 223 I'd use magnum primers.

I don't see any issues, in the above my alternate choice is Varget. The 308 is a bench rifle, I use CCI BR's for those, works ok for me. Ball powders = mag primers, usually CCI, not worth the risk, poor ignition, pressure spikes and all things bad.

I'd like to give it a spin if I could just find some! It would be worth seeing if you could chrono the load.

If I were you, I'd bump it up several tenths if the brass is just dribbling out.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

I loaded some of it up. Shot fine. It was one of the only powders available at the time so I picked it up. Not sure about the copper cleansing qualities or what-all they claim, but it worked and was accurate for my intended and supposed purposes.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Sponsored Links