75g BTHP .22 for AR-15 concern

This is a discussion on 75g BTHP .22 for AR-15 concern within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; About 6 months ago when finding reloading components were next to impossible to find a friend found 5000 round packs of 22 caliber Hornady 75g ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By HotGuns

Thread: 75g BTHP .22 for AR-15 concern

75g BTHP .22 for AR-15 concern

About 6 months ago when finding reloading components were next to impossible to find a friend found 5000 round packs of 22 caliber Hornady 75g BTHP bullets. Not known how long it would be before I would be able to get components again (and I was running extremely low on rifle components at the time) I picked up a pack and we split it. Not being horribly knowledgeable about reloading (and wanting to get them ordered before they went out of stock) I did not research them before I ordered them. After getting them I went to the all mighty internet to research some loads. What I found was that people were kind of "split" on this particular bullet. Some people said that the bullet was to long and that it was impossible to seat the bullet to a depth that would allow it to be loaded in to a magazine. Other people said that they were seating the bullet to 2.250 OAL and that they were not having any issues.

Here is my concern. I am reloading on a Lee turreted press and it is not exactly the most precise press on the market. When I seat the bullet and then measure with my micrometer I get OAL's anywhere between 2.241 and 2.250. I know that seating a bullet to deep will cause your pressures to go through the roof. What do you guys think? is that 0.009 of an inch variation cause for concern?

Thanks!
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    That depends.
    Are you measuring your OAL on the ogive of the bullet or are you doing it on the top of the bullet?

If you are doing it off of the top, then its not unusual for bullets to measure that much deviation due to the way the jackets are formed.

If you are doing it with the proper tool, then it would seem that you should be able to be a bit more consistent.

There are several ways to measure OAL correctly.

bullet length measuing tool - Bing Images
    zacii likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I am measuring from the top of the bullet. I'm not familiar with the term ogive, what does it mean?

Thanks HotGuns

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    That depends.
    Are you measuring your OAL on the ogive of the bullet or are you doing it on the top of the bullet?

If you are doing it off of the top, then its not unusual for bullets to measure that much deviation due to the way the jackets are formed.

If you are doing it with the proper tool, then it would seem that you should be able to be a bit more consistent.

There are several ways to measure OAL correctly.

bullet length measuing tool - Bing Images
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

Senior Moderator
    That's a point on a curve that can be measured accurately, that's why they have special tools to do it.

Ogive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ogive - Bing Images

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...et&Form=IQFRDR

It measures a constant, and is more accurate. It eliminates the variable length of the bullet due to the way its constructed.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Thanks for the info! I'll look to see where I can order the tool

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    That's a point on a curve that can be measured accurately, that's why they have special tools to do it.

Ogive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ogive - Bing Images

What Is The Ogive Of A Bullet - Bing Images

It measures a constant, and is more accurate. It eliminates the variable length of the bullet due to the way its constructed.

Senior Moderator
    Try Midway USA

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

The 75 gr. Hornaday Amax cannot be seated for magazine depth in an AR-15 and should only be loaded in rounds for bolt action rifles. The 75 grain hpbt can bullet can be loaded for an AR-15 magazine. I do it that's the bullet I use in 3 gun competition. I just measure the OAL from the top of the bullet with a digital micrometer. I haven't messed with the ogive yet but is have some Berger bullets and I may have to.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Links