Worn out brass? Need some opinions

This is a discussion on Worn out brass? Need some opinions within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; While shooting today I noticed the guide rod was not flush as is normal on my M&P 40 cal full size. When I went to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Worn out brass? Need some opinions

Lead Moderator

Worn out brass? Need some opinions

While shooting today I noticed the guide rod was not flush as is normal on my M&P 40 cal full size. When I went to rack the slide it was rather difficult but I managed to cycle the slide. I have reloaded this brass a few times but am not sure exact count. From what I can tell the brass is slightly pressed toward the web/rim of the casing and possibly shows hairline cracking at this point. I attempted to load this cartridge once more with the same result.at this point I noticed the issues and settings aside to examine later. Pics included of a few angles.
    Attached Images
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    From the pictures I appears the brass did not enter the resizing die centered or was somewhat cocked. Check your shell holder making sure there is no debris that will prevent the casing from seating correctly. Also take a toothpick or something similar and run it around the inside of the shell holder to remove any debris.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I've noticed that sometimes in unsupported chambers there is a bulge like a dimple,if you try to rezize it it squeezes it into a line and it will not feed,check your brass to make some don't have that dimple,I have to check all the 9mm range brass I pick up
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Lead Moderator
    None of the other cartridges from the same batch show similar wear or stress. This may have been a Glock casing as I aquired a bunch and noticed the guppy bulge in the cases. I have successfully reloaded these in the past but expected early brass failure due to the stretching.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Has that case been fired in a Glock with the partially unsupported case head? did you check the case length before reloading it? If it is too long,That might cause a collapse of the case wall on thin brass or a failure to go into battery. At any rate, I'd say it's time to retire that case. When in doubt, toss it out.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Apparently I missed your last post because I was typing my reply. Sorry.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    There is a tool for removing that bulge. Its a die that you push the cases through rim first. With the bulge reoved they will load as normal.

Lee Bulge Buster Kit - Lee Precision

Senior Member Array XD40SCiinNC's Avatar
    Can have some very unpleasant results. This happened to me this week. Blew gasses and perhaps brass down through the trigger, getting the top of my finger, out the back of the slide, peppering my face, plus out the gap between the grip and the grip safety, getting the base of my finger, all with a much louder kaboom.

With the gun disassembled I can drop that casing into the barrel and the blown out area lines up exactly with the feed ramp.

One of those 'dang dude' moments.

This was some reman ammo, RO believes it was over charged, manufacturer said their system won't allow that, that due to the powder check system on their loaders, stating the brass was just reloaded too many times.

Reloading 40S&W is a risky business from what I hear. You can get tools/dies that will help with reloads. Kind of like sizing the area above the belt on a magnum rifle cartridge. The 40S&W cartridge is like the most HP per cubic inch of any standard loadings. I figure the brass is worth one reload before it's scrap and that's it. If you go to the expense of tooling up and resizing the case to the rim, you may get more. Brass don't get "worn out"...it gets weak. You have to trash whatever is not acceptable before you get injured just to save a buck.

One reload per case is ultra-conservative; not really necessary unless you're loading to full-power specs. My shooting partner reloads .40 for his G35 and his brass has probably been reloaded 10 times, but his reloads are on the mild side. He's never had a blowout like what's been described here.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Lead Moderator
    I get around 6-8 times reloading with mild loads out of most of my .40 cal brass. I have already removed this particular casting and will be pulling it to save components. I guess a multi hole case gauge is the next item to buy.

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by JDavisArk View Post
    Reloading 40S&W is a risky business from what I hear. You can get tools/dies that will help with reloads. Kind of like sizing the area above the belt on a magnum rifle cartridge. The 40S&W cartridge is like the most HP per cubic inch of any standard loadings. I figure the brass is worth one reload before it's scrap and that's it. If you go to the expense of tooling up and resizing the case to the rim, you may get more. Brass don't get "worn out"...it gets weak. You have to trash whatever is not acceptable before you get injured just to save a buck.
    This is total internet BS. The .40 is no more or less risky then any other caliber. Cases size just like any other caliber with standard dies, Lee sells a bulge buster for something like $15 that can be used to remove the so called Glock bulge but I have yet to find a need for one and most of my .40 brass is range pickup's. I have 6 + reloads on a set of brass that is loaded just under book max and its still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by muddy View Post
    This is total internet BS. The .40 is no more or less risky then any other caliber. Cases size just like any other caliber with standard dies, Lee sells a bulge buster for something like $15 that can be used to remove the so called Glock bulge but I have yet to find a need for one and most of my .40 brass is range pickup's. I have 6 + reloads on a set of brass that is loaded just under book max and its still going strong.
    Yup. A cartridge is a cartridge and neither is more "dangerous" or "risky" than another. I reload local LE .40 S&W for their Glock 22 pistols and have over a dozen reloads on their brass. I don't use any gimmick dies to load their ammo, just the standard Redding Pro Series sizing die. Never had an issue.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Links