Loading 10mm Auto for the first time!!!!

This is a discussion on Loading 10mm Auto for the first time!!!! within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; So my dies finally came in for 10mm Auto. Anyone have any info for Rainier 165gr FP? Or 155gr RN. My powder choices are W231, ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Tubby45

Thread: Loading 10mm Auto for the first time!!!!

Loading 10mm Auto for the first time!!!!

So my dies finally came in for 10mm Auto. Anyone have any info for Rainier 165gr FP? Or 155gr RN. My powder choices are W231, WST, Bullseye and Power Pistol. I keep hearing that I should follow load data for lead cast since these are only copper plated. I'm shooting from a G20SF. Lyman's 49th says cases should be trimmed. I usually am not very anal about some of the other pistol calibers such as 9mm but I'm guessing because this is a powerful load and this too head spaces at the case mouth I should be more critical of my case lengths? Like I said, first time loading this caliber. Would love to hear any info from anyone proficient with 10mm. Thx a bunch
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

2. Remove Ads

Get some jacketed bullets. Buy the manual from the bullet manufacture. There is nothing special about loading 10mm. I load the for a Delta and every load I have tried worked fine in the gun. Never had any cycling or feed problems. I start with new Starline brass when I load at the upper end of the recommended loads
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

I don't use any of those powders, but cases don't get trimmed for pistol. That's a waste of time and money. The 10mm isn't any special cartridge to load for. The 9mm, .40 S&W, and 10mm are only within 3,000psi of each other for SAAMI pressure. Nothing to worry about. Follow the manual, don't load stupid, and you'll be alright.
    jem102 likes this.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Isn't the .40 S&W just a 10mm short?

Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    I have been loading 10mm since the mid 80s. The original Norma loads were considered to be unsafe by some, as the pressures were very high. The round got a bad rap during its tenure with the feds and as such, lost popularity. Start with these two sites, there is a lot of good info there.

10mm-firearms.com - Index
    The 10mm Auto Cartridge
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

So far, I've had good accuracy with 165 grain fmj, using both Power Pistol and AA9 powder, within the ranges given by the powder manufacturers. I would not have a problem using plated bullets if I had to, but I'd use the recommended load for lead bullets. I have a lot of respect for the 10mm, and I'm very careful with handloading it.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    10mm use lp primers 40 uses sp but essential a 40 is a 10mm retarded
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Blue dot and 800x are good powder choices. But if you want the performance from the 10mm, like already stated, save the plated bullets for the 40 and get XTPs or Nosler. But any full jacketed bullet is a must for the 10mm.

Hand loading it is just like any other cartridge. And, like the good advice already given, forget the trimming.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Great advice above, just find out what bullet you would like to load and go from there. You have a lot of options available, I like Hornandy XTP 200 grains myself but have been thinking about picking up some 180 grain FMJ's.

How is that starline brass? I've been looking at it lately, being I only have but so much 10mm brass and I want to increase my loading volume after this month.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBear10mm View Post
    Great

How is that starline brass? I've been looking at it lately, being I only have but so much 10mm brass and I want to increase my loading volume after this month.
    Available. It's the only 10mm brass I have ever bought new. I have no complaints in any caliber.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    Available. It's the only 10mm brass I have ever bought new. I have no complaints in any caliber.
    Sweet. The 10mm is a little different than the 223/308/9 that I reload simply because I'd be hard pressed to shoot out my brass supply with those calibers, I've only got a couple hundred 10mm.

I've reloaded the 10 for 20 yrs and never trimmed new or fired brass; your choice, though. Of the powders you named, I would stick with the slower burning Power Pistol for this cartridge. You won't get max velocities, but it delivers decent performance, meters great, and burns fairly cleanly.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Links