165 HP Rainiers .40/10mm

165 HP Rainiers .40/10mm

This is a discussion on 165 HP Rainiers .40/10mm within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Picked up a box of 500 from Cabelas. Lee's 2nd Edition only has data for 165 XTP for my powder choices. Both are hollow points, ...

Thread: 165 HP Rainiers .40/10mm

165 HP Rainiers .40/10mm

Picked up a box of 500 from Cabelas. Lee's 2nd Edition only has data for 165 XTP for my powder choices. Both are hollow points, does anyone know if I can use the XTP data?
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

Plated bullets fall between cast lead and jacketed bullets. Ultimately they are more malleable than jacketed and so are closer to lead in how they respond to loading.

For a given powder charge and OAL, the jacketed bullet will be slower than the lead bullet (and pressures will likely be higher). The safest way to start is to use the JHP load data - at the low end - then work your way up to the velocity you want.

I strongly recommend you get at least one more loading manual, too. Lyman or Hornady are both good; Lyman has more data for the .40 (esp with lead bullets).
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Thanks. I have reloading for handgunners and Lyman's 49th too. But between the 2, they don't give info for this bullet corresponding with my powders at hand ie. W231, WST, Bullseye and Power Pistol. Plus I always ask questions on this forum before I start loading a new caliber or bullet. Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

From the FWIW department, Speer shows a PP load for 165 GD and TMJ of between 9 and 10 gr. I would suggest working SLOWLY up from the start load (or a little below). 231 start-max is shown to be 6.3-7.0.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Sponsored Links