Dillon 550b Dies

Dillon 550b Dies

This is a discussion on Dillon 550b Dies within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I have purchased a 550b and already had a set of RCBS 9mm dies. I am not quite clear on whether I need to get ...

Dillon 550b Dies

I have purchased a 550b and already had a set of RCBS 9mm dies. I am not quite clear on whether I need to get a crimping die since the Dillon uses the 4th stage for crimping. I can't seem to find an exact answer.

As. I understand it, the RCBS seats the bullet and crimps in one stage. Is this a problem with the 550b? How does it work with these dies and the 550b?

Should I get the Dillon crimping die?

I need a clear description to pound the concept into my head.

Thanks.

The standard 3-die set for pistols (RCBS, Hornady, others) handles bullet seating and crimping in the third die. A lot of folks find this works just fine for them with their equipment and specific load (bullet shape in particular) and gun. However, sometimes getting both the seating depth you want and the degree of crimp you want in one operation is difficult. My experience with loading 200 gr SWC bullet in my .45 ACP led me to invest in a separate taper crimp die (I got the Lee 'factory crimp' die). This made small adjustments a lot less tedious for me, and may be the reason for Dillon's approach to make crimping a separate step.

I suggest you start with the basic 3-die set, and you may find that's all you need. If you need to make crimping a separate step, you've got the 4th station available to you.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Lead Moderator
    I find either 3 or 4 die sets work for my 550b. I have a 3 die lee set for .45 ACP and no issues with my dillon.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I've been loading on a dillon 550 for several years,I recently went from seating and crimping on the 3rd stage and added a Lee factory crimp die in the 4th station,I now seat in the 3rd and crimp in the 4th
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks. Glad I'm OK to start out. If I decide to crimp in stage 4 and add a crimping die, do I somehow remove the crimping from the seating die?

Lead Moderator
    You would need a different die for the seat stage. As you seem to be a novice to reloading , please be sure to read several books on reloading and I possible find someone who has some experience to help. Stay safe.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by johnaengus View Post
    Thanks. Glad I'm OK to start out. If I decide to crimp in stage 4 and add a crimping die, do I somehow remove the crimping from the seating die?
    My Hornady seating die can be setup to seat with or without a taper crimp. If your dies have instructions I would imagine it will explain how your seating die can be setup.

Links