First handloads

First handloads

This is a discussion on First handloads within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Just sent my first reloads down the range. Went very well after many hours toiling over the press setup. Is it normal to have powder ...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By johnaengus
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By ConcealedinPA
  • 1 Post By agalindo

Thread: First handloads

First handloads

Just sent my first reloads down the range. Went very well after many hours toiling over the press setup.

Is it normal to have powder getting all over the press? I seem to be messy. What is the best way to clean it up? I seem to make a mess when rotating the indexer.

I'm using the Dillon 550b.
    QKShooter and bmcgilvray like this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I use a separate powder dropper with a single-stage press. No mess, no fuss. On the rare occasion I spill some (and these days it's enough to make a grown man cry), I suck it up with a shop vac and dump it on the lawn.

If you're really spilling a lot, something may not be set up properly. Progressives are great when all works well, not so great otherwise. Some "Big Blue" owners here should be able to give you some help.
    QKShooter and BamaT like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Just watch your progressive operations carefully to see how powder gets spilled.

I use a can of spray air to blow the few grains of powder or lead/moly shavings off my press after each session;, a small (1-inch) paintbrush would work as well. Vacuum cleaners are generally not recommended due to the risk of ignition.
    QKShooter and StormRhydr like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I use a Dillon 550b and don't have any problem with spilled powder unless i do something dumb like forgetting to install the index button after weighing loads.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." --Benjamin Franklin

"Ignorance can be treated with education, sadly there is no cure for stupidity."

Feel free to call Dillon, 800-223-4570. I called them a couple days ago about some small parts I broke, and I was 17th in queue. My wait was barely over 5 minutes.

I get some powder residue on my press, but it is usually just a small amount. I think it is possible you may be trying to go too quickly. The 550B is a manually advancing press. If you turn the shell plate too hard, or too fast, sometimes the case will jiggle as the shell plate pops into the detent. It may be that you are getting a little powder bouncing out of your case.

As OldVet said, losing any powder in today's market does make one cringe at the cost.

Good luck. The guys at Dillon are great to deal with.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Ya, I will call them for suggestions. I was having a problem with primers and they were a big help. I was 19th in line and waited about 10-15 minutes. Well worth it for their excellent service.

Spilt powder? I use a damp paper towel and dab it off the bench. On my Loadmaster I go slow on the upstroke indexing.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    S&W M&P 9c
    S&W 1911
    Glock 20
    Kel-Tec P-11
    Stag Arms 2T
    Benelli m2

"Your freedom to be you includes my freedom to be free from you"
    "CAPITALISM IS BOSS"  Andrew Wilkow

My 650 used to spill 9mm powder the cases are a bit short and the auto index was a bit snappy. On the 550 I would suggest using powders that don't fill the case up too high and when indexing going a bit slow as it stops it's foward advance kinda use you hand to aborb the shock.
    rocky likes this.

Lead Moderator
    No issues with mine spilling powder , but I don't fill the entire case. Unless I miss loading a primer , then I get a powder mess.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by johnaengus View Post
    Just sent my first reloads down the range. Went very well after many hours toiling over the press setup.

Is it normal to have powder getting all over the press? I seem to be messy. What is the best way to clean it up? I seem to make a mess when rotating the indexer.

I'm using the Dillon 550b.
    Good for you! What cartridge did you load and shoot?
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I use a Lee Classic Turret Press, and I don't see how it would be possible NOT to have at least a little powder spilled after a handloading session.

I like to save it and put it in my coffee. Just kidding. I use compressed air to blow it off and to blow out the occasional grains that get into the threads of my reloading dies.

Like Bmcgilvray said, let's hear about the load and how it shot.

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm curious if the spilled powder issue got resolved. I've used my Dillon 550B for several years, and the only spill isue I've had came from no primer (my fault) being seated in the case.

Quote Originally Posted by johnaengus View Post
    Ya, I will call them for suggestions. I was having a problem with primers and they were a big help. I was 19th in line and waited about 10-15 minutes. Well worth it for their excellent service.

Links