Buying primer and powder on gunbroker?

This is a discussion on Buying primer and powder on gunbroker? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I've decided to dive into reloading and I just bought the Lyman T-Mag master reloading kit and at $309 shipped it seemed like a steal. ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Blue Thunder
  • 2 Post By TX expat

Thread: Buying primer and powder on gunbroker?

Buying primer and powder on gunbroker?

I've decided to dive into reloading and I just bought the Lyman T-Mag master reloading kit and at $309 shipped it seemed like a steal.

I'll admit I am a frugal shopper (the in-laws add -stein to my last name), so when it comes down to buying primer, powder and bullets I'm looking for the lowest possible price. I've already found a website that offers 1000 hard cast 9mm bullets for ~$62 shipped so I'm left looking for powder and primer. But when it comes to powder and primer the additional hazmat fees seem to make online purchases too pricey until I checked gunbroker and found a few sellers who appear to be shipping it with normal ground shipping. Are there any risks for me associated to buying gunpowder/primers that are shipped with standard ground shipping? Or should I stick with brick-and-mortar stores? Near me is Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, and my local gun store, also tractor supply and Wal-Mart (but I'm not sure if they sell reloading supplies. However none of the brick-and-mortar stores can usually beat internet prices.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    TBH, right now if you can even find the powder you want, you're one of the lucky ones.

Your price for 1000 hard cast 9MM boolits is way high, you can get FMJ boolits in 1K quantity for $75 or so. The first thing you need to do is buy 2 Reloading books and read them front to back before going further. Get all items that have HazMat fees locally even if you need to travel 40 miles to get them. You will need to do some look and see who has what you want to buy from the big box stores. Google and the Web is your friend in shopping for components. There are many threads here about powder, boolits and primers. The market for all of these items is fluctuates wildly and you need to be ready when the "Price is Right".
    Hoodoo likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

VIP Member
    I guess you risk the money spent, depending on how you paid for it. If any of the freight companies discover a hazardous material being transported fraudulently they'll confiscate the product. If you have paid in a manner that you cannot get your money returned (ie credit card), then I highly doubt you will receive a prompt refund from the seller. I say this because anyone who deals with primer and powder knows how it needs to be shipped, so if they're willing to break those rules, I doubt they'll be 100% above the board with the rest of their business...

Short answer, I wouldn't do it. Buy single pounds of powder locally at the higher prices until you determine the stuff you can safely buy in quantity. Then buy powder and primers from someone who will ship them together (Powder Valley) and then buy lots at once. That'll make the hazmat fees much more tolerable because you'll be spreading it out across a lot of product.

****Edit: And I wouldn't say your 9mm cast price is "way high" assuming they are quality cast bullets. Missouri Bullets will run you about $70 shipped and they are very good cast bullets, but you can get Berry's plated for around $80 per 1k.
    Hoodoo and Exsimguy1 like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Thank you both, that's exactly what I needed to know. Still boolit hunting, found 1k 125gr LRN for $62 shipped. My press is shipping with 49th edition Lyman's guide so I have some reading material.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    The Lyman Manuel is good reading material! To beat the HazMat fee I band together my closest friends and buy in bulk. I buy 10 pounds of powder at a time and have a few friends that buy the same way. I also look for powders that go farther. for instance I get just under 1000 45 colt cowboy action loads from a pound of Hogdon Tightgroup. Its a great powder for practice or volume loads. A slower powder would be for better accuracy, but it takes more per shot. And costs more.

The reason I mentioned way high is that comparable FMJ is in the same ball park and most indoor ranges are beginning to ban lead bullets that are not FMJ or copper wash. Buying lead only and then not having an indoor range to shoot it in can get costly, on the other hand shooting out of doors is also a great opportunity.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder

I am currently using GB for powder as there is none of what i need here and one seller is local. It is a unique situation so I am trying to take advantage. The hazmat fee sucks, but as others said, buying bulk, getting buddies to buy with you are what make it more manageable.

Hoping to see some stuff back on the shelves soon.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I have a membership to an outdoor range that allows me to shoot absolutely anything, I could wheel a cannon out to the rifle range if I had one. I prefer the cheaper lead to brass because of this.

As for your original question: right now powder and primers are so scarce, I would not trust a sale on gunbroker unless you are certain they are a legitimate company. Buy big to defray the hazmat cost.

Try www.powdervalley.com. They are starting to stock more stuff once again.

Links