Dies for RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master

This is a discussion on Dies for RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Having trouble finding rcbs carbide hies in 9mm and 45acp. Will non-rcbs dies fit this press? I have access to hornady, are they of good ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Dies for RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master

Dies for RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master

Having trouble finding rcbs carbide hies in 9mm and 45acp. Will non-rcbs dies fit this press? I have access to hornady, are they of good quality etc and will they fit? Or better to wait for RCBS which I will be able to get mid september.

2. Remove Ads

Most of the dies for my hornady classic are Lee dies. I think those would work with yours. Get the 4 die model set. They are only like $10 extra, and will save you money.
    Last edited by StormRhydr; August 29th, 2013 at 11:12 AM.

Nearly all dies use the same thread, which I believe is 7/8-14. (One notable exception is the non-standard Dillon dies for their Square Deal press, but Dillon makes regular dies as well.)

The Lee dies have a shorter threaded shank which limits full adjustment range on some progressive presses, but that shouldn't be an issue on a single-stage press such as yours.

Overall, dies have been in demand since the Great Gun Panic began last December. I ordered a set of 9mm dies from Midway and I think it took 3 months for the order to be filled. I would not expect to see .45 and 9mm die sets sitting on a store shelf anywhere these days.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I have used them all and in "my" opinion this is the ranking as to quality and usability of what is currently on the market.

Hand Gun (always get carbide):

1. Dillion
    2. Redding
    3. Hornady
    4. Lyman
    5. Lee/RCBS

Rifle(get carbide for .223 if available):

1. Forestor benchrest (limited cals. but their Ultra Seater is on a par with gunsmith reamed dies)
    2. Redding/Dillion (the Dillion carbide in .223 is amazing and SAAMI min. chamber)
    3. Hornady
    4. Lyman
    5. RCBS/Lee

Yes all are 7/8-14 and will fit your RCBS press
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Thanks a bunch everyone!!! I'm gonna buy me the lee or hornady 4 dies sets. they are in stock and $10 cheaper than the rcbs..
    Thanks again,
    Kevin

Didn't know there were carbide dies for necked cases. I have been reloading since 1978 and remember when carbide dies first started appearing. Got them for all my straight walled pistol cases. All my dies are steel (had them for years) except my 5.56 (.223) which seem to be alloy of some kind as it newer.

Good luck on your reloading and above all be observant and double check everything especially powder charges, bullet seating depths and cartridge OAL.

You should also an accurate powder scale, a powder thrower and a good caliper. Inserting primers one at a time is a drag so go with a tube feed for primers. They come in large and small (the same as primer sizes).
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

thanks donp. appreciate all the advice. safety to me is paramount..

7/8 X 14 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mobenzowner View Post
    thanks donp. appreciate all the advice. safety to me is paramount..
    I acquired an older RCBS press and some high quality dies.
    The dies had not been used in recent memory, and the press the same.
    Trying to insert the dies into the press at the proper depth was difficult, almost impossible.
    Please do not try and rethread or chase threads on either the press or dies without making sure that it will work well.
    I found by experience that the dies are a little oversize and the press threads a little undersized. Thread depths are not even close to normal depth on either.
    Luckily my lesson came with a very old and well used set, otherwise it would have been a very expensive one.
    A good machine shop will keep you in good shape with minimal expense once every four to five years.
    BTW! I have a new set of 7/8 X 14 tap and die from NAPA that cost a little over $50.00 that I may never use again.
    Maybe I was unlucky! Maybe it was a weird set of tools! Maybe it is the way the press and dies are made!

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpagus View Post
    I acquired an older RCBS press and some high quality dies.
    The dies had not been used in recent memory, and the press the same.
    Trying to insert the dies into the press at the proper depth was difficult, almost impossible.
    Please do not try and rethread or chase threads on either the press or dies without making sure that it will work well.
    I found by experience that the dies are a little oversize and the press threads a little undersized. Thread depths are not even close to normal depth on either.
    Luckily my lesson came with a very old and well used set, otherwise it would have been a very expensive one.
    A good machine shop will keep you in good shape with minimal expense once every four to five years.
    BTW! I have a new set of 7/8 X 14 tap and die from NAPA that cost a little over $50.00 that I may never use again.
    Maybe I was unlucky! Maybe it was a weird set of tools! Maybe it is the way the press and dies are made!
    That is unusual, and not normally the case at all. Was the old RCBS press using the adaptor bushing from the 50BMG down to 7/8", and was it possibly replaced with a non standard (homemade) one? 7/8"x14 is not rocket science and even the cheaper presses and dies have not had any real issue with it since the 60's.

Terry

I bought my Rockchucker II in the late 1977 and began using it in January 1978 I never has any trouble with RCBS or any other die manufacturers that I have used except for Dillon.
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Links