Coated lead bullets - HI-TEK-LUBE coating. Any Experience with it??

This is a discussion on Coated lead bullets - HI-TEK-LUBE coating. Any Experience with it?? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Just got some 158 gr LSWC bullets for 357, that are coated with a "new" coating that reduces leading. The coating is very hard, and ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By gator15
  • 1 Post By hayzor

Thread: Coated lead bullets - HI-TEK-LUBE coating. Any Experience with it??

Coated lead bullets - HI-TEK-LUBE coating. Any Experience with it??

Just got some 158 gr LSWC bullets for 357, that are coated with a "new" coating that reduces leading. The coating is very hard, and they claim to push them faster than lead cast bullets.
    I got these from a local guy that uses the coating from Bayou Bullets. The word is that they've been using it in Australia for 15 yrs.
    The coating feels vary hard and does not flake off. Should be very clean to load.

I'm loading some up at regular 357 cast lead loads and will work them up faster if there is no leading.

Anyone have experience with this coating??
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

2. Remove Ads

I think Bayou Bullets uses a moly coating similar to that used by Precision Bullets. Is it black in color?

I have used the Precision Moly Bullets. They run virtually smoke free, but they do leave some of that coating in the barrel when you push their limits. Allow some extra case mouth expansion or the edge of the case will scrape some of the coating off.

Bayou used the Hi-Tek coating and it is green. No moly, as far as I know.

A lot of the professional shooters in my area are beginning to use this coating and swear by it. They all claim it to be the real deal and far better than any moly coating. I'll probably order myself a liter of some of it soon
    Aceoky likes this.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I am waiting for a 1000 40cal bullets from bayou now to try out. Can't find any bad with them in people comments .

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    I am waiting for a 1000 40cal bullets from bayou now to try out. Can't find any bad with them in people comments .
    Aren't they asking somewhere around $13/100 count for their pre-coated bullets? Seems far more economical to cast the lead yourself then coat it after

I loaded up some 158 gr coated lead bullets up to 1400 fps range and had no leading in my 357.
    They were a very stout load. Not a plinking load, but would put the hurt on some medium sized game or 2 legged troublemaker.
    Aceoky likes this.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Quote Originally Posted by hayzor View Post
    I loaded up some 158 gr coated lead bullets up to 1400 fps range and had no leading in my 357.
    They were a very stout load. Not a plinking load, but would put the hurt on some medium sized game or 2 legged troublemaker.
    No I know they work excellent, but how did you coat them? From the Bayou or did you get a deal on the coating and do it yourself? I only ask because by buying the bullets from factory direct, it appears that, per their price on the bullets, that jacketed bullets would be a better buy for reloaders. $13 per 100 vs $14 per 100 for jhp seems like an easy decision....

I am somewhat familiar with Hi Tek. Friend of mine ordered some earlier in the summer. I have a couple of handfuls of 9mm I haven't shot yet.
    He swears by it. Virtually no leading. Two coats baked on at 350 for 45 minutes each. Comes in several colors. I have the copper color. Almost looks like fmj. Coating stays intact after you melt the bullet. Comes off like a glove. Only drawback is the baking process softens the lead. However the coating keeps it from leading so its a push. From all accounts its the real deal. A liter coats approximately 10k bullets depending on size.
    The coating adds a thousandth or two to the.diameter so it negligible.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Quote Originally Posted by gator15 View Post
    No I know they work excellent, but how did you coat them? From the Bayou or did you get a deal on the coating and do it yourself? I only ask because by buying the bullets from factory direct, it appears that, per their price on the bullets, that jacketed bullets would be a better buy for reloaders. $13 per 100 vs $14 per 100 for jhp seems like an easy decision....
    These were coated by a local guy that sells them via phoenix.backpage. He doesn't have a website, and only accepts checks.
    For the 158 gr bullets, he charges $8/100.
    He ships quickly.
    PM me if you are interested in his info.

Doing it myself is something I would usually be interested in, but the price on this guys stuff is low enough to discourage me from DIY.

gator15 , you did not check there site?? That 13 dollars for a hundred is only for samples. prices much lower per hundred as count goes up with bulk orders. Also takes about as long to package 1000 or 3000 as it does 100.

.38 / .357 Caliber

87 dollars a thousands for 158gr swc . Some cheap HP are mainly shot as match bullets there not all good defense bullets .

Besure any low price bullets are of a quality to be worth while too. Donnie at bayou does make some very consistent weight bullets.

My bullets came to me in 3 days. Priority mail.

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    gator15 , you did not check there site?? That 13 dollars for a hundred is only for samples. prices much lower per hundred as count goes up with bulk orders. Also takes about as long to package 1000 or 3000 as it does 100.

.38 / .357 Caliber

87 dollars a thousands for 158gr swc . Some cheap HP are mainly shot as match bullets there not all good defense bullets .

Besure any low price bullets are of a quality to be worth while too. Donnie at bayou does make some very consistent weight bullets.

My bullets came to me in 3 days. Priority mail.

WOW just went to that website, thoughs are some great prices

I loaded some rounds to test before sitting down to run a batch out . 5.6gr of hp-38 bayou's 155gr 40 cal for my 40sw with a 1.090 length and was good for a mild 1053fps from a 4" kahr , no smoke ,mild recoil. next time I need practice bullets for my 38/357 loads I will try them.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    I've been a big fan of Mr. Donnie's Bayou Bullets for the last year. I load the .38 spl wad cutters, .357 mag swc, .44 mag swc and .45 acp lrn's. I haven't experienced any leading, or any other issues. I shoot the .44 mags in both a 7-1/2 inch Ruger SRH and a 20 inch Rossi M92.

I need to order more of all four varieties pretty soon.

I have some 45 cal 200gr to try after these 40's get loaded.

Links