Determining Small or Large Primer 45 cal

This is a discussion on Determining Small or Large Primer 45 cal within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I'm a new reloader and just cleaned, examined, and am sorting my first batch of 45 cases. Some small primer and large primer cases are ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Determining Small or Large Primer 45 cal

I'm a new reloader and just cleaned, examined, and am sorting my first batch of 45 cases. Some small primer and large primer cases are obvious, others are not so distinct kind of in-between, Blazers for example. I have about 100 that I consider between small and large.

When in doubt should I put them in the large primer group? What are the safety ramifications of trying to load a large primer into a small primer case and vice versa? Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

I maybe dead wrong, but I don't think a large primer will fit into a case setup for a small primer.
    Glock Armorer

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    They are either small or large primer pockets, no in between. Large primers will crush in small pockets and small primers will fall out of large pockets.

Read here for dimensions:

Primers And Primer Pocket Dimensions Photo by gsparesa | Photobucket
    Aceoky and 40Bob like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

They are either small or large primer pockets, no in between
    Yes, clearly... would it be safe to start with the assumption that if it's not obviously a small primer, put them in the large primer group?

Thanks for the link.

VIP Member
    Hubby says - I quote: "Do not try to reload blazer cases. Use large pistol primers for .45 ACP. Consult your reloading manual for further information. Do NOT reload without a current manual."

Hubby is not chatty.

He is, however, a very experienced reloader.
    mprp and Aceoky like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    If the Blazer cases are brass they're fine for reloading. Aluminum not so good. I'm not grasping the confusion between the small and large primer cases. If you have a set of calipers, use them to determine the pocket dimensions and end any doubt as to size. otherwise, stand them all on end and if they're not small, they're large. There is no other size.

Small or large .45 cases will give similar ballistics unless you're attempting to create identical loads--and good luck with that. I load both and have yet to see any discernible difference between the two on the targets.
    warbirds and Aceoky like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterGranny View Post
    Hubby says - I quote: "Do not try to reload blazer cases. Use large pistol primers for .45 ACP. Consult your reloading manual for further information. Do NOT reload without a current manual."

Hubby is not chatty.

He is, however, a very experienced reloader.
    Unfortunately, Granny, many of us "very experienced reloaders" fall behind the times. I have been reloading for 20 years and I have never seen any .45ACP brass with small primer pockets. That being said, I have to admit I have not been shooting .45ACP for many years and all my .45 brass have large primer pockets. I think that's a pretty good thing since I have about 5,000 WLP on hand.

People keep telling me about the "new" .45ACP using small primers, but since I haven't purchased loaded, .45 ammo in several years, I could not attest to it, but I do believe it.

To the OP, if you can't tell the difference between large pocket brass and small pocket brass, just take a small primer and see if it drops into the primer pocket. If it does, then it goes in the large primer bucket.
    rocky and Aceoky like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I am in ShooterGranny's Hubby's camp. I don't believe that the lightweight aluminum type casings with the small primers are meant to be reloaded. (That may be the reason that they have a non-standard sized primer / primer pocket to discourage reloading) (?) I'm not 100% sure on this and hopefully a more experienced reloader than I can chime in with more insight. I believe that they are a bit more brittle and more prone to cracking during the resizing, flare and crimp stages than the softer, standard brass or nickel cases. It just makes sense to me not to reload those so I have never attempted to do so.

My suggestion to you would be to throw the CCI Blazer casings in the trash and move on.
    HotGuns and Aceoky like this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Senior Moderator
    Yep, aluminum Blazers are a no go. They are meant to be fired once and discarded. They are made that way so that they are cheaper as aluminum is cheaper than brass. As for the small vs large thing, its best to go with either one or the other, not both. At some point in time you will get them mixed up.
    Aceoky likes this.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

The only 45ACP that I've seen with small primers are some of the Federal. Any I find immediately go in the round file. Most of my 45ACP brass is of the large primer variety and having a small amount of small primer is more hassle than it could ever be worth.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Sponsor
    Use a large primer pocket cleaner to test the "iffy" cases. It'll either fit or it won't.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

The main issue with Blazer aluminum is they use Berdan primers, not Boxer primers.

BoxerBerdan2.JPG
    Aceoky likes this.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon. Go big or stay on the porch.

Quote Originally Posted by 40Bob View Post
    The main issue with Blazer aluminum is they use Berdan primers, not Boxer primers.

BoxerBerdan2.JPG
    Thats not true since I have deprimed them before with standard reloading dies
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Small primers in .45 cal ate round there Federal
    and had fragnable bullets. I had discovered
    Sever a year or so ago in some .45 brass I bought at the range I shoot at. I just discard
    them as I never have more than 3 or 4 of them
    at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Sarg80
    Sig P-220 Primary Carry and CZ-75 Primary Carry
    Mauser HSc BUG
    Walther P-1 tertiary carry or when i want a break from the others
    S&W Model 66 (No Dash) for the woods

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Most of my brass started as range pickups. I use the small primer stuff for situations where I likely wont get my brass back. I ocasionaly shoot with a group of friends out in a pasture. I take only small primer brass there. The deep grass makes recovery difficult. DR

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links