Handgun Case Trimming - need to it??

This is a discussion on Handgun Case Trimming - need to it?? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; New reloader here. I read in the Lymans Pistol manual about sizing cases and also have seen others post that they never trim handgun cases ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jaeger

Thread: Handgun Case Trimming - need to it??

New reloader here. I read in the Lymans Pistol manual about sizing cases and also have seen others post that they never trim handgun cases for 45 ACP.

I have a good quantity of saved 45 ACP cases from my own range trips and measured 3 of them. All where longer than the Lymans manual - I think the manual said .899 and mine measured .922.

Advice and opinions please.

I have never trimmed handgun cases, not say I shouldn't just never have. Generally reload them until the case fails.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

I only reload handgun calibers, and I also have never trimmed the cases.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    .45 ACP Do no t need to be trimmed!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

My lymans manual says .888. That being said, I have heard that they shouldnt ever really need to be trimmed.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member
    I have been reloading 380, 38, 357, 45 and 9mm for years and never had a reason to trim a case. I have the tools, but have never used them. good luck
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

I've reloaded about 10K rounds of .45 ACP and never had to trip a case. Rifle cases - completely different story!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Ha! You're probably all smarter than me. I trim all cases to specs, and it's usually so little it certainly wouldn't matter. After a big batch there aren't enough brass shavings to fit on your pinky nail.

I also generally reload till they fail too, but towards the end of their lives when they're getting thin they start acting funny in the press, and I'll just finish what I can, throw the misfits away, and then leave the tired old men on the range...

I've seen guys picking up brass on public ranges (my brass), so be VERY careful buying and reloading brass from anyone who can not credibly claim to have shot it new. If I leave brass it has been shot too many times for most people's reasonable comfort, and I told a guy picking it up that once. He said he didn't care and could tumble it and sell it, which I then told him would be a bad idea, and he ignored me... Word to the wise.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Other than some bottle-necked wildcat pistol cases I used, I've never had to trim a handgun case. Normally straight-walled cases do not need trimming. Doing so won't hurt, and some of those who shoot precision matches will do it to gain every possible accuracy advantage (They tend to be a bit OCD in that department). Some revolver cases may need trimming for consistent roll crimps but, obviously, the .45 ACP is not in that category.

SAAMI and my antique Speer #9 list .898" as max case length for the .45 ACP. Trim-to length would be .888". Anywhere between those two dimensions will be fine.

First I think you need to re-verify your measurements, as .922" is clearly too long. Is your caliper accurate? If your cases are indeed too long, you will need to trim, seeing as the .45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth and being too long could cause the gun to be slightly out of battery.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

MJK
    I've reloaded over 20,000 rounds of .45 ACP and have never had a problem with elongated cases or a slide not going into battery for that reason. Some of the cases were reused perhaps 5 or 6 times; they tend to workharden and become brittle after multiple resizings. You can anneal the cases to extend life but I never thought it was worth the time or effort.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    .922" is clearly too long, and I said it could cause a gun to not go fully into battery, not would. Some firearms, such as CZs are very tight on the chamber dimensions. I feel .123" over-length warrants a second look if his measurements are accurate. A few .001s" not so much a concern.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

First I think you need to re-verify your measurements, as .922" is clearly too long. Is your caliper accurate? If your cases are indeed too long, you will need to trim, seeing as the .45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth and being too long could cause the gun to be slightly out of battery.
    Yes I will. Being a bit OCD I ordered a headspace gauge. New caliper old user :)

For gaming and general shooting, just reload and don't worry about it.

If you are loading any for carry, get meticulous.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Thanks gents. I'd prefer to load and shoot but you know that manual read verbatim makes you wonder. I only know about headspace from the manuals, never heard of it before. Safety is a big concern. That said there's no such thing as too much information on reloading.

Links