Lead SWC Seating ?

This is a discussion on Lead SWC Seating ? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; New reloader here, ordered SWC from Missouri bullets with a lube strip. I will measure OAL but strip should be below case mouth after loaded ...

Thread: Lead SWC Seating ?

Lead SWC Seating ?

New reloader here, ordered SWC from Missouri bullets with a lube strip. I will measure OAL but strip should be below case mouth after loaded correct?

While loading some Jacketed SWC's have had several that seated crookedly. I'm wondering if I have expanded the case mouth enough. Expanded case mouth is about .015 bigger than before exppanding.
    Suggestions or ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Ads

If you seat them to correct OAL the lube groove will be below the case mouth,I bell the case mouth enough so the base will fit inside and seat without shaving lead.I find that a seperate seat and factory crimp die work best for cast lead so you don't tend to shave lead from the bullet.Not sure why you are getting bullets seated crooked unless your dies arent adjusted right,I've never had that problem and have used LEE and RCBS Dies
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Usually if you are having crooked bullets it is because the bullet wasn't started straight. The the mouth of the case digs into the bullet. You can bell the case a little more or chamfer the inside of the case mouth a little. Some lead bullets are .001 larger than jacketed bullets,
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

You need to flair cases more with lead,, as so it won't swage the SWC down & lead the barel up,,
    By shooting under size bollits ; ) PS Missouri Bullet Co. Is Good People!
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

If you have any bullets left over, try running 1 or 2 though a bullet resizer die. if it's over sized you will know for sure.

I haven't started with the lead bullets yet. My crooked bullets were jacketed which yes I probably started a bit crooked - using a Dillon 550 progressive and may have set the bullet on the case and shook the press somehow. Also I didn't pay super close attention to the bullet placement on the case assuming the press would "correct" it if it were a little off.

Sounds like I need more practice and a steadier hand :)

Always plunk test when you start with a new bullet to get the OAL that should function through your pistol. For LSWC, the general guidance is to leave about a thumb-nail width of the shoulder exposed above the case mouth. Assuming you are loading a 45 acp, that should give you a distance from the base of the case to the shoulder of the SWC of close to 0.93 in. JSWC tend to be trickier in my experience, so you'll need to experiment with OAL to find what actually feeds reliably in you gun.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Links