reloading 9mm Browning Long?

This is a discussion on reloading 9mm Browning Long? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Hello all, I need some technical help: to reload/handload 9mm Browning Long, do I have to order custom dies from Lee or RCBS, or can ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: reloading 9mm Browning Long?

Hello all,

I need some technical help: to reload/handload 9mm Browning Long, do I have to order custom dies from Lee or RCBS, or can I make good ammo using .38 ACP/Super dies or something else? Lee & RCBS both say I have to get custom dies, but various internet threads indicate that people have found some combination of 9mmP, .38 S&W, and .38 ACP/Super dies & parts that supposedly do a good job.

In my continuing love affair with obsolete guns and calibers, I have gotten my hands on a Husqvarna Model 1907 Swedish Army surplus handgun, with both .380 and 9mm Browning Long barrels. The recoil spring it came with is tuned to run fine with .380, and a milsurp spring I installed runs beautifully with 9mm Long ammo. (I got my hands on some modern-era Norma FMJ and some 1941 milsurp FMJ). I already load .380 and 9mmP, but *really* want to load 9mm Browning Long for this gun.

Those who have read my ramblings about handloading the .38 S&W won't be surprised & won't ask "why?", I'm sure :-)

Anyone with experience that can steer me on this one? Thanks!

LAMan

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    looks like you take .38 ACP and trim It down.

9mm Browning Long - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Yes, I've run into that advice everywhere, so I don't understand why .38ACP/Super dies would be a problem like Lee & RCBS say.

Looks like the 38ACP is a straight walled case and the 9mm browning long tapers at the neck .008,the 9mm dies look like they don't resize the case down to the right dimensions
    9mm browning long
    Case type semi-rimmed, straight
    Bullet diameter .356 in (9.0 mm)
    Neck diameter .376 in (9.6 mm)
    Base diameter .384 in (9.8 mm)
    Rim diameter .404 in (10.3 mm)
    Case length 20 mm (0.79 in)
    Overall length 1.10 in (28 mm)
    9mm luger
    Neck diameter 9.65 mm (0.380 in)
    Base diameter 9.93 mm (0.391 in)
    Rim diameter 9.96 mm (0.392 in)
    Rim thickness 0.90 mm (0.035 in)
    Case length 19.15 mm (0.754 in)
    Overall length 29.69 mm (1.169 in)
    38acp
    Neck diameter .384 in (9.8 mm)
    Base diameter .384 in (9.8 mm)
    Rim diameter .406 in (10.3 mm)
    Rim thickness .050 in (1.3 mm)
    Case length .900 in (22.9 mm)

With the case being oversized about .009 the case probably is not going to chamber
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It looks to me like you could resize with a 38 acp and seat the bullet and crimp with the 9mm luger die to get the right sizes. its worth a try. I think getting the right bullet diameter and a good case fit will make it chamber and shoot well. I shoot 9mm largo, too big a bullet and it slightly bulges the case but shoots well. Too small and it chambers well but doesnt shoot accuratly. So I had to thin the case necks to get it right. DR

Thanks, Duke, I've seen the numbers before, but never really saw what I was looking at :-) The piece that fell into place was the understanding that the 38Super/ACP was straight-walled, therefore the case mouth would practically swallow the bullet.

And Ranger, I get your point about experimenting with the 9mmP seating die to effectively duplicate the taper of the 9BL case. So, tomorrow's plan: resize with 38S die, taper down the neck slightly with the 9mmP seating die, belling the case mouth slightly with the 9mmP die, then seating and crimping with the 9mmP die.

Will let y'all know this weekend how it works. Thanks a lot!
    LAMan

Senior Moderator
    Cool beans, LouisianaMan! Don't know anything about 9mm Browning Long that isn't found in Barnes' "Cartridges of the World." I love the notion of offbeat cartridges and there's sure nothing wrong with 9mm Browning Long. It's got more zip than a .380. The handguns chambered for 9mm Browning Long are lovely to look at with pleasing lines, and John Browning origins. What's not to like here?

Will be fun to keep up with proceedings from this end.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

A couple of crummy photos, but what I've got for now:

Got a big batch of spare parts from Sweden, and will order more soon. Ditto for milsurp ball ammo. Still want to brew up my own practice and carry ammo, though. Will slug the bore and see what my options are. Leaning towards a 110g XTP, 100g LFP Ranch Dog, or flatpointing one of Matt's 110g LRNs. I also want to try Hunter's Supply 115g PHP, Lee's 125g RNFP (mine weigh 130g) and even 135g GDHP-SB. If I can get the mechanics of loading together, I think there are lots of potential options.

Oh BTW, I've run across some intriguing possibilities of converting Berdan to Boxer with a couple of drill bits and a pocket reamer :-)

Senior Moderator
    That's cool too. I've taken that conversion up mentally but have never dragged out the tools to try it.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Some of the concepts I'm considering. Most of the bullets are scotch-taped into empty brass just to give me a look and ensure that COL of 1.10" isn't exceeded, so apologies in advance that it distorts the cartridge appearance.
    L-R:
    1. 90g XTP
    2. 100g Ranch Dog LFP
    3. 102g Lee LRN
    4. 108g Swedish milsurp ball (live round)
    5. 108g Norma FMJ (live round)
    6. 110g Winchester JHP .357
    7. 110g XTP-JHP .357
    8. 115g Hunters' Supply PHP
    9. 115g Hornady FMJ
    10. 124g Extreme Bullets PHP (plated, not designed for SD, but I figure it equates to a LFP)
    11. 135g GDHP-SB .357
    *Not pictured: 125g Lee RNFP

I figure vels more or less would be:
    90g @ 1200-1300
    100g @ 1100-1200
    115g @ 1100
    124g @ 1000
    135g @ 900

By comparison:
    MILSURP chronos: 108g @ 1097 (27 shots)
    Norma chronos: 108g @ 1195 (14 shots)
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Any updates? I love a good chalange. DR

I have turned the crudely-taped prototype dummy rounds into assembled drill cartridges that chamber smoothly in manual mode, using .38 Super resizing die and 9mmP dies to flare, seat and crimp. Lots of guesswork with the latter, to get them to crimp & seat in one operation. In almost all versions, I had to limit it to COL's between 1.00-1.075" or so; as I approach the SAAMI/CIP 1.10" max COL, the M/07 gets very picky about what it will chamber.

Anyway, seems like they'll work, so I'll load a few types today or tomorrow after work and see how they shoot. Top priorities are: 135g GDHP-SB, 125g Lee LRNFP, and 110g XTP. Next tier will be 102g Golden Sabre and Ranch Dog 100g. (Will have to pull some of the 102g GS from handloaded .380's, because I can't find them available for purchase as components anywhere. Anybody have some to sell?)

Would like to turn up some cast 108-110g bullets with a wide meplat like the Lee 125's, which should chamber readily and deliver a blow at 1100-1200 fps, while using the original design parameters that Browning intended for this weapon system.

Sorry for the slow response, but by JROTC standards the past week or two have been the equivalent of active campaigning :-)

BTW, have ordered up another big batch of spare parts from Stockholms Vapenfabrik in Sweden, as I plan to keep this gun in active service and practice rather vigorously, by my standards. In other words, no IPSC wildness, but sessions of 100-200 rounds every month or two.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Overdue for some eye candy, at least :-)

bmcgilvray and BigJon10125 like this.

I like it! especially the short trigger. How does it shoot? DR

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links