Hornady Customer Service

Hornady Customer Service

This is a discussion on Hornady Customer Service within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Quick and dirty version: Got a Lock N Load AP last Christmas. Finally getting started due to a tough time finding components, dies, plates etc. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Hornady Customer Service

Hornady Customer Service

Quick and dirty version:

Got a Lock N Load AP last Christmas. Finally getting started due to a tough time finding components, dies, plates etc.

Using it as a single stage right now to become familiar with everything. The arm that actuates the primer sled came loose, caught in piston (ram) and snapped the plastic piece holding it in place.

Called the number listed by Hornady online and couldn't get through. Went to the website, sent them an email at 3:45 p.m. PST, got an email this morning at 8:02 a.m. PST saying the parts were in the mail, no charge.

These people have earned a customer for life!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    That's good to hear, but not terribly surprising. The reloading industry seems to be a very customer centric industry. RCBS and Lee, two of the bigger players in that market, are both known for their superior CS. I honestly don't think that a manufacturer could survive in that business if they weren't taking care of their customers in a similar manner. I guess Dillon Precision could be a different story because their product is completely different in nature, but the players in the single stage environment better keep up their A game in the CS department.
    Aceoky likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Great to hear, BigJon. I bought the Hornady classic lock n load (single stage) this year. I cant say I have done much with it yet. Mainly getting everything calibrated per load, but not loading of live ammo yet.

Heck, it took months to get all the components together, lol.

That is good to hear TX Expat. I know that I will have different company's items whether it be dies, components whatever. Nice to see it is an industry thing.
    TX expat likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Great to hear, BigJon. I bought the Hornady classic lock n load (single stage) this year. I cant say I have done much with it yet. Mainly getting everything calibrated per load, but not loading of live ammo yet.

Heck, it took months to get all the components together, lol.
    Exactly what I am/was dealing with. I made a "cartridge" yesterday, just missing the powder. Got the seating depth set and will now try on the powder measure. Used the small pistol measure and it wouldn't throw a large enough load (was shooting for 5.9 grains of unique). Probably a good thing as I realized I missed some grease as the powder was sticking in the base of the measure. It started getting frustrated at that point so I stopped.

May try a little tonight.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    BigJon

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    That is good to hear TX Expat. I know that I will have different company's items whether it be dies, components whatever. Nice to see it is an industry thing.
    Yeah, it's a very good thing for all of us. Regardless of manufacturer, it's nice to see that the industry in general takes care of the customer base!
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    A similar thing happened to me except the plastic support arm broke. I called Hornady, was put on hold until the CS rep could go to a Lock-N-Load progressive and guide me through what was going on. I had 3 new plastic arms and primer punch in 2 days. They sent me another primer slide "just in case" that may caused the problem. Hornady is First Class, in my book.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

The couple of times I needed Hornady CS, their response exceeded my expectations. Good outfit to do business with!
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Do you all have an updated #? The 1800 # did not lead to Hornady and only gave an option to plug in an extension. 1800-338-3220 didnt work for me.
    BigJon

Used Hornady 32s, half the box was duds due to 'hard primers'. Switched to Gold Dots ($75 in ammo and range time). I sent the ammo back, paid the shipping, and Hornady offered me a 'free box'. Not worth the time and trouble. I wouldn't never buy any ammo from them again.

I was out to dinner, there was a fly in my mash potatoes, I called the waiter over, he scooped out the fly. Then he bought over some more mash potatoes. The waiter brought the check and said "No charge for the extra mash potatoes"

Distinguished Member Array technomonster's Avatar
    CS can make or break a company that deals in a niche market.
    “Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains.” Winston Churchill

Distinguished Member
    No offense, but I figured you'd have to break something in start up. And I figured their CS would take good care of you. You'll be doing well if it ends there. The Lock n Load is a fairly complex press to use, particularly being new to reloading. No worries, you're doing the right stuff. When is gets a bit grinding on the nerves, quit for the night just as you've been doing. Coming very soon will be a day when you crank out the first box or two. Great stuff.

When I get started with a batch I do very regular checks of all aspects of the load; powder, length, crimp, primer seat, etc. With each "confirmed" load I use a magic marker on the primer. Once I'm running smoothly, I QA two or three times per box of 50. If something gets hinky, say the powder throw is off 10-15 rounds later, I know that I only have to concern myself with those rounds from the last marked primer. I strongly recommend this practice. Looking at a boat load of reloads and knowing that something ran off the rails during their creation....that sucks for air. Sadly, I know this as a personal fact. And self preservation forces you to disassemble each one. That little green hammer thingy that you've probably got is not a great deal of fun, but learn to use it just the same. Stuff happens. Safety first and all that.

Keep slinging that handle brother. And pay attention to your spidey senses. You'll develop muscle memory, transferred through the press handle, of how each stage should feel. At that very moment that your brain says "whut?", stop and check. Or you'll get to talk to those nice folks at Customer Service again.
    StormRhydr and BigJon10125 like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

None taken SH, I figured I would too, but was trying to avoid it. As I got a bunch of cases primed I can still run the rest of the press but won't have time until next week. We will see how it goes
    BigJon

UPDATE: Email was sent Friday, parts were here Tuesday. Already cranking a few more trial rounds out. Now to get a chronograph and get to the range!
    BigJon

That's great to know. I've been considering getting into reloading when the funds allow for quality materials.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links