Small parts rant

Small parts rant

This is a discussion on Small parts rant within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I know iam getting old but the dang set screws on reloading equipment just exist to piss me off. Today the set screw on my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Small parts rant

Small parts rant

I know iam getting old but the dang set screws on reloading equipment just exist to piss me off. Today the set screw on my accutrimmer fell out the set screw on my primer collar fell out. I can only conclude they bounced to another dimension since I cannot find them anywhere. When I get new ones I am going to try magnetizing them since I have a old large magnet on wheels.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I was reloading today. I dropped some small pistol primers. Of course, they fell on the concrete floor and all managed to bounce off in different directions. I could find all but one. I spent 45 minutes looking for that lousy primer and never did find it. I know what you mean about small parts.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    I understand, the screw for left side temple piece on my reading glasses fell out. No trouble to find it. Pain in the rear to try to get it back in with the glasses in my hand.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I can still spot a deer on a hillside 1/2 mile away, but cant see squat at handshake range! I understand the problem. DR
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Have you tried using your magnet to find them? No offense if thats the first thing you did try, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    I know iam getting old but the dang set screws on reloading equipment just exist to piss me off. Today the set screw on my accutrimmer fell out the set screw on my primer collar fell out. I can only conclude they bounced to another dimension since I cannot find them anywhere. When I get new ones I am going to try magnetizing them since I have a old large magnet on wheels.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Magnetize your setscrews and it will affect all your reloads, causing them to veer towards the North Pole.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Magnetize your setscrews and it will affect all your reloads, causing them to veer towards the North Pole.
    Well, I think that goes without saying.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Ace hardware has a remarkable selection of threaded hardware these days - you might bring your part into the store to see if they have the right size setscrew.

Barring that, if you can find out what size it is, chances are there's a Grainger's (industrial supply house) near you than can get you what you need in a day or two, if it's not on hand.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thx smitty but ordered from lyman parts should have them tuesday
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Sponsor
    If you stick your tongue out just right when shooting you can effect the Coriolis and counter the magnetic flux that distorts the parabolic field thereby negating the northward pull.

OP, go ahead and magnetize your screws, though a magnet will pick them up even if they are not magnetized, if they could be magnetized that is, I think...
    Easy8 and gatorbait51 like this.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Luvmy40, yeah
    I thought of that as I posted it :)
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I've noticed that with shooting steel core bullets,I have to figure in magnetic pull, wind velocity, range, humidity, moon phase,what I had for breakfast and on a good day my rounds will hit within 6 feet of poA at 100 yards,they call me Deadeye at the range
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    I know iam getting old but the dang set screws on reloading equipment just exist to piss me off. Today the set screw on my accutrimmer fell out the set screw on my primer collar fell out. I can only conclude they bounced to another dimension since I cannot find them anywhere.

That is normally offset by the Coriolis Effect if you are in the Northern Hemisphere.

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    That is normally offset by the Coriolis Effect if you are in the Northern Hemisphere.
    This is what causes Zombies. Saw it in a movie once.

All of this because of a lost setscrew....
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links