Hornady Manual Questions

Hornady Manual Questions

This is a discussion on Hornady Manual Questions within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Hey guys, For those of you who have the latest Hornady loading manual: does it include seating depths?...does it have / show bullet dimensions?...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Ring
  • 1 Post By airslot
  • 1 Post By noylj

Thread: Hornady Manual Questions

Hornady Manual Questions

Hey guys,

For those of you who have the latest Hornady loading manual: does it include seating depths?...does it have / show bullet dimensions?
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

it lists suggesting COL for their bullets

show bullet dimensions? like?

Distinguished Member
    The Hornady manuals are my primary reference source for loading though I have 4 others. Excellent stuff. Case length is specified and overall length is specified so you can back back in to seating depth with that information. Bullet (projectile) diameter is given but I don't believe bullet length is referenced. Weight, of course, is specified by the manufacturer and I randomly check those from time to time. Most manuals categorize by caliber, then by bullet weight and type.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Yeah, I had read somewhere that Hornady list seating depths, but I guess that's not the case. I know how to figure it out, but you have to have length of the bullet. Have sources, but need to cross check something.

Does the manual list the Hornady 185gr JSWC in it's listing for 45 ACP? Bullet is # 45137 What does it say for COL? I assume it uses .898 for case length.
    I always aim for the right eye...and I never miss - Goldeneye

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    45 ACP
    MAX COL-1.275
    MAX case length-.898
    TRIM length-.893

When you seat a bullet, any bullet, start shallow and adjust the seating die until you get to the COL listed for the caliber you're loading.

The COL for any caliber will be the same for most if not all bullet weights for that caliber. Hornady's FTX bullets are an exception and are listed separately in the specs for the caliber.

If you are serious about reloading, invest in the loading manuals from the bullet manufacturers and use them. They have invested considerable time, effort and expense to help you do it safely.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

No manual has ever worried about bullet length or seating depth. COL and all is YOUR responsibility and all they show is the COL they used, which means the minimum COL you should use for loading. When I started loading, no manual even showed COL. That was ALL up the reloader and all sources would tell you to always check multiple reloading manuals and start with the lowest starting load and work up.
    This is why you ALWAYS start with the starting load and work your way up. No manual can cover all the bullet options and loading options a reloader may try. They can only be a guideline.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Links