Recipe 124gr LRN with Bullseye

This is a discussion on Recipe 124gr LRN with Bullseye within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; My Lymans does not have this 124gr lead bullet - they do have the 120gr LRN which I tried at the bottom load of Bullseye ...

Thread: Recipe 124gr LRN with Bullseye

My Lymans does not have this 124gr lead bullet - they do have the 120gr LRN which I tried at the bottom load of Bullseye -0.2 ; results were FTE and not getting into battery. I upped the load 0.4 and haven't tried yet but was hoping someone may already have the answer.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

We can assume you want a load for 9x19 (9mm Luger/9mm Parabellum).
    You should start with the load for the next heavier bullet and work up from there. Since your loads are not cycling, then you, at least, are at a safe load. By not going into battery, I am assuming that is because the load is too light and not that your rounds themselves will not chamber.
    Start load is about 3.0-3.4gn Bullseye. Max load can be from 3.5-4.5gn, depending on COL and bullet. My Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook calls out 3.7-4.1gn of Bullseye with the RCBS 9mm-124-CN bullet (not a RN) and a minimum COL of 1.050" and 4.2-4.6gn of Bullseye with the 125gn Lyman #356637 hollow point bullet and a minimum COL of 1.010". Notice that the heavier and longer HP bullet actually uses heavier charges to reach the same 30,000psi.
    I generally load to a COL of least 1.100"
    In your case, work up the load until you get full functioning. Normally, 4.0gn is a good load, but it depends on COL, bullet, and gun and is close to the max that Lyman has. Remember, check every round by pushing down on the bullet after the bullet is seated and before you fire the round to be sure the bullet will not set-back in the case while in the magazine while the gun is firing or during feeding.
    Bullseye and other such very fast powders are not optimal for 9x19, unless you are into action pistol shooting and purposely loading light.
    Better powders would be from 231/HP38 to Blue Dot. Some very good powders are Unique, AA5, Herco, Universal, IMR 7625, Power Pistol, Silhouette, True Blue, HS6, and WSF.

Great advice, hg6, or unique are my favs for 9 mm took a bunch out to the range today some berrys in 115 fmj with 4.6 gr unique amazing accuracy.

look around the net for load data. go to their web site for load data. there is lots of it to be found. i like aa#5, titegroup, bullseye, and unique for my 9mm loads.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Thanks so much Noylj.

I'm not familiar with the "CN" nomenclature. I've seen LCN in a Hodgon powders list and didn't know what that bullet type was. What does "CN" stand for?

I started with Bullseye 3.2gr load which caused the FTE and not going into battery. I suspect that the range of Bullseye 3.7 to 4.1gr you cite would be correct for the LRN; before reading your post I made some 3,8gr to test. (I will never use a JHP so no need for that data for me). Just ordered 125gr LSWC from MO Bullets which will be my standard bullet - I bought the RN as a trial only.

Thanks frankmako, I also have Titegroup to use. Noylj, I am shooting targets for NRA Bullseye so I want light loads, thus the fast powders.The Bullseye powder is listed in Lymans as the most accurate in at least one of the 9mm leaded bullet types. Talk about fast powders, I use N310 for 45 ACP LSWC! Bullseye is slow comparatively :)

Thanks all, I will reconfigure when I get my 125gr LSWC.

Sponsored Links