RCBS vs. Dillon

RCBS vs. Dillon

This is a discussion on RCBS vs. Dillon within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Well, I am thinking about saving up for a progressive press for loading 9mm, .45 ACP and .223/5.56mm. I already have an RCBS Rock Chucker ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: RCBS vs. Dillon

RCBS vs. Dillon

Well, I am thinking about saving up for a progressive press for loading 9mm, .45 ACP and .223/5.56mm.

I already have an RCBS Rock Chucker and RCBS dies for 9mm and .223.

I am looking at the RCBS PRO2000 Auto Index Progressive Press vs. the Dillon XL650.

The first thing I noticed is that the Dillon looks like is about $200.00 lest (list price) and it comes with a set of dies.

The next thing I noticed is that on the RCBS, the powder measure is not attached to the Die Plate, but is attached to a station that is the in the frame of the press itself. This means that you do not have to move the powder measure from one Die Plate to another when changing calibers. The Dillon, on the other hand, mounts the powder measure to the Tool Head (same thing as the Die Plate on the RCBS) via a Powder Measure Die. This means that the powder measure would need to be unmounted and remounted to the new Tool Head when changing calibers.

I am hoping that some of you have used both so I have a couple of questions I would like to throw out there.

1. Is the RCBS really worth $200.00 more?
    2. Which is the better press, and why?
    3. which one is easier to change calibers on?

Any other comments comparing these two presses would also be welcome.

Thanks.

I can't speak for the Dillon, but I bought a Pro2000 about 4 years ago and really like it. Previous to this I had used a Rockchucker for about 30 years. So far I've probably run 15-20k rounds across it in 4 different calibers. Only casualty was 1 primer plunger, which RCBS replaced free after a phone call.

Gearhead,

I'm glad to hear that you like it.

How difficult is it to change calibers on it?

Thanks.

I have a dillon 550,changing the powder funnel requires removing the actuating rod and loosening two screws,takes about 30 seconds,takes longer to adjust for the powder difference,I bought some "T" Bolt covers for the adjustment bolt so I can turn it easily by hand,I have several tool heads in different calibers and can do a complete changeover including shell plate in under 5 minutes,the 9mm and 40S&W use the same shell plate just change the Buttons "Pins" to a smaller or larger diameter
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member
    Pretty hard to beat a Dillon. I don't have, nor have I used an RCBS progressive. I have Hornady and Dillon. But the blue ones are a standard that's hard to beat.

Sounds to me like you have a great problem. Have fun and good luck.
    oneshot likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

You're nearly asking Ford v. Chevy.
    Opinions ensue!

I've got a Lyman.

Lead Moderator
    I use the dillon but have not tried the rcbs. Only thing to add is Dillon has great C/S and replaces parts with no hassle.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'm in Rocky's camp; I have a Dillon and have never tried an RCBS. I have, however, always heard that RCBS is very highly thought of when it comes to reloaders. $200 premium, I don't know. How many components can you acquire for $200?
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

DILLON! That was easy!

Dillon!
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    BROWN WATER NAVY

agalindo
    Dillon. Nothing better and easier out there.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I looked at dillon as a buddy has several of them but final choice was a rcbs pro 2000 manual . Compares closely to the 550 dillon. Mine is set up a bit differnen than some might be. I mounted the power measure in the die plat and prime flair and charge with powder in the same position then a power lock out die in the frame as it works on any cartridge with a simple ajustment. I use 3 of my lee 4 die set , #1 is a a sizer deprimer, then the powder measure adaptor die With Expander insert, A rcbs lock out die , bullet seater and then the crimp die. If you change cartidges you need a different expander and I can set up different die plates complete and all I need to do is unhook a spring ,one thumb screw and move the powder measure it self to the other die plate and adjust the powder level .

The hardest thing to learn to use effectively is the primer loader. Took me 15 minutes to figure it out and load a first strip. 10minutes for the second and then it takes longer to get the primers all turned than it takes to load 100 primers and 4 strips. More than pleased with it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MDof2 View Post
    Opinions ensue!
    More like a .45 vs 9mm debate.

My vote goes for .45, I mean Dillon.

I have two SDB's, one set up for small primers and one for large.

Over the years I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds through each and in so doing have broken just about every part that can be broken. Dillon has replaced them all, including a frame, with no questions asked.

I've been to the factory too, quite the operation.
    Blue Thunder likes this.
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

agalindo
    Quote Originally Posted by MDof2 View Post
    Opinions ensue!

I've got a Lyman.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyBunny View Post
    More like a .45 vs 9mm debate.

My vote goes for .45, I mean Dillon.

I have two SDB's, one set up for small primers and one for large.

Over the years I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds through each and in so doing have broken just about every part that can be broken. Dillon has replaced them all, including a frame, with no questions asked.

I've been to the factory too, quite the operation.
    More like chevy or ford vs mercedes benz. :)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
    Gearhead,

I'm glad to hear that you like it.

How difficult is it to change calibers on it?

Thanks.
    Blackjack:
    All in all it's pretty simple. The die plate takes just a couple of seconds to change. It takes about 2 minutes to change out the shell holder, and that includes cleaning and lubricating the head. Just don't lose the checkball that's underneath of it. If you need to change out the primer plunger (going from small to large primer or visa versa) that takes another minute. Re-adjusting the powder measure (to the new case height) usually takes another 5 minutes or so. All in all, a complete changeover from 9mm to .45acp for example takes me around 20 minutes, including re-dialing in the powder drop to the correct powder charge weight.

If you end up getting the Pro2000 and have any questions regarding setup, feel free to PM me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links