Is there a real problem reloading Glock once fired brass

This is a discussion on Is there a real problem reloading Glock once fired brass within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Those that reload have you run into any problems reloading glock fired brass. I have owned many glocks but never reloaded them because of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Is there a real problem reloading Glock once fired brass

Those that reload have you run into any problems reloading glock fired brass. I have owned many glocks but never reloaded them because of the bulge from unsupported cases. Just curious if any of you do.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I pick up 9mm, .357 SIG, .40 and .45 ammo from the range and reload the 9mm & .45s--repeatedly. Much of the .357 & .40 brass has the typical Glock primer imprint and I have yet to see any discernible "Glock bulge" in any of the cases. Some of the infamous bulge is coming from the oversized Glock chambers, but resizing takes care of it.

My reloads are done using standard reloading procedure (no special steps) and are of target nature (less than max) and there hasn't been any issues at all, even in my G30. Older Glock .40 chambers had less support, newer ones have more. Maybe my brass is coming from only newer Glocks.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I reload target loads for all my Glocks in 9mm, .40 and .45. I have brass that has probably been reloaded in excess of 30 times. I have not personally seen a brass failure due to the case bulge, usually when I throw out brass it is because the case mouth splits.
    OldVet, ETXhiker, rocky and 3 others like this.

Thx guys I guess I was just a little over cautious.

VIP Member
    Other than testing defensive loads for function, I've never fired a factory round through my Glocks and they're all still here and in one piece.

Obviously, pay attention to the brass and, as OV said, if it's a .40 realize that there may be some potential, depending on the age of your Glock, so just use your head and don't think you need to push max pressures with a practice round.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I load for my Glocks all the time. Never had a problem.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

When power is up for grabs; personal liberty is usually one of the first casualties…

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    In short, the answer is no, but I never reload to the "never exceed". I always reduce my loads between 5% to 10%. However, I use a Redding bulge buster because normal sizers normally do not full length resize.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Those that reload have you run into any problems reloading glock fired brass. I have owned many glocks but never reloaded them because of the bulge from unsupported cases. Just curious if any of you do.

This is interesting as I am considering a Dillon SQD B for my .40 . I would think that as long the step of full sizing isn't skipped it would not be a problem.

I have never had an issue

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Most, if not all sizing dies do not size the cases all the way. I use a Redding GRX pass through die, but they don't work too well on my Dillon. The Lee bulge buster is supposed to be good too. I use a Lee single stage press for the pass through die.

Quote Originally Posted by DuknBucks View Post
    This is interesting as I am considering a Dillon SQD B for my .40 . I would think that as long the step of full sizing isn't skipped it would not be a problem.
    BobR1 likes this.

Never noticed any difference in 9mm other than a funny looking primer dent from Glocks
    ETXhiker likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Distinguished Member Array denclaste's Avatar
    In my g20 10mm the original gen 3 factory barrel would pig belly some of the brass to badly to reload. These were not 40 SW loads though; they were loaded to near Norma spec. The guys I know that shoot 45acp glocks all reload with no problems unless you insist on +p+ loads, then all bets are off.

After having a few reloaded rounds (a few years ago) that failed to Chamber Check because of the bulge I bought the Redding G-RX die for push thru full length sizing. I reload lots of once fired brass in 40 and lots of it came from early Glocks. Every piece of 40 brass I reload goes thru the die which is in a separate single stage press. The reloading is done in one of two SDB's. All my Chamber Check issues went away. Since I am now retired, time is not an issue, just more of it for reloading to save $$$ over the high cost of ammo on the market right now.
    BobR1 likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Lead Moderator
    No issues with reloading even gen 1 Glock brass with the bulge using dillon dies in .40
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    I reload target loads for all my Glocks in 9mm, .40 and .45. I have brass that has probably been reloaded in excess of 30 times. I have not personally seen a brass failure due to the case bulge, usually when I throw out brass it is because the case mouth splits.
    Exactly. I shoot almost exclusively reloads through my Glocks. My primary precaution is that when reloading 40s, I keep the powder charges between start and midrange loads. When I load hotter, I've always used new brass (Starline).
    flintlock62 likes this.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links