Loading .380 acp an light strikes

This is a discussion on Loading .380 acp an light strikes within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Just thought I would throw this out there for general info. I started loading some .380 because could not find any at the local stores. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Easy8

Thread: Loading .380 acp an light strikes

Loading .380 acp an light strikes

Just thought I would throw this out there for general info. I started loading some .380 because could not find any at the local stores. I took some to the range an had several light strikes kept pulling the trigger an the second or third time it they fired. These were CCI small pistol primers. I switched to winchester an no problems at all. The CCI were fine for anything bigger.
    StormRhydr likes this.

2. Remove Ads

The different brands of primers do seem to have different sensitivities. I can't confirm it, but Federal primers have a reputation (= internet lore) for being "soft," and CCIs are allegedly "hard."

I've been using just Winchester primers for all for 2+ years now, with no probs at all on .45 and .30-06. One of the four .38s has some ignition failures, but I think that's the gun (light hammer spring) and not the primers.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've used mainly CCIs over the years and other than two duds from the same pack many years ago, I've never had a problem in any firearm of any caliber.

I view "light strikes" as a firearm issue, not a primer issue. A properly operating firing pin/striker should ignite any primer that is not defective, regardless of name brand. The fact that they fired on second/third strike shows the primer were not defective (They either work or don't). Perhaps you didn't seat the primers completely, thus the anvil wasn't bottomed out.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    How old is your gun? It's possible the spring has weakened, or the firing pin is worn. What do the primers look like using the Winchester primers? Are they deep, or shallow? I've never had a problem with CCI.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Just thought I would throw this out there for general info. I started loading some .380 because could not find any at the local stores. I took some to the range an had several light strikes kept pulling the trigger an the second or third time it they fired. These were CCI small pistol primers. I switched to winchester an no problems at all. The CCI were fine for anything bigger.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    One other possibility may be that the primers were not seated all the way. The first hit seated it and the next fired it. A softer primer would have fired the first time. This happened to me once, After that I was more careful to clean the primer pockets. DR

Links