Reloading purchase soon but

This is a discussion on Reloading purchase soon but within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I want to hear your opinion and why. RCBS, Hornady , Dillon,Lee . My requirements are simple Progressive press I want to reload 9mm and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Reloading purchase soon but

Reloading purchase soon but

I want to hear your opinion and why.
    RCBS, Hornady , Dillon,Lee .
    My requirements are simple Progressive press I want to reload 9mm and 5.6 nothing else maybe down the road 45,and 38 but no need now.
    The more I read up the more confusing it gets. The Hornady sure lock system seems to be a good selling point.
    If you were going to to load 9mm and 5.56 Nothing fancy I do not need any custom tailored rounds
    What system would you buy.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    RCBS, Hornady , Dillon,Lee.
    I recently had to make this decision. My main gift this year was a reloading press. I chose to go with a single stage rather than progressive but still had to face the big question of which one. The short answer is that I went with RCBS. The longer answer is that after a lot of reading, it came down to a choice between RCBS and Hornady. Ultimately it was a flip of the coin between these two. I read a lot of comments and reviews and saw where a lot of people said that they had a press and had used it reliably for decades. A lot of the reviews talked about customer service which is important, especially when dealing with problems or needing replacement parts. I chose to stay away from Lee because it seemed like their quality wasn't as good as the others. Dillon seemed to be OK, but I saw more comments about problems with their dies, which are supposed to be standard, than the others.

I have a local supplier that stocks RCBS, Hornady and lee.
    Lee did go to the end of list quickly the more I have looked into it.
    I just do not want a lot of messing around No time for it. Once the brand is picked I want to order every single thing I need at one time.
    None of this run back a forth for this and that

I am new to reloading, in setting up my press, an RCBS i tore up the uinflow powder measure. I tore it up. it was not defective. When I called RCBS technical support and parts I made sure that they knew I tore it up. They sent me the repair parts at no charge and actually sent me a better part than what I tore up plus another of the original part that I did tear up. Big thumbs up for RCBS and their customer service.
    msgt/ret, flintlock62 and mook012 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty901 View Post
    RCBS, Hornady , Dillon,Lee .
    My requirements are simple Progressive press I want to reload 9mm and 5.6 nothing else maybe down the road 45,and 38 but no need now.
    The more I read up the more confusing it gets. The Hornady sure lock system seems to be a good selling point.
    If you were going to to load 9mm and 5.56 Nothing fancy I do not need any custom tailored rounds
    What system would you buy.
    Focusing on your last two sentences;

With any reloading set up, you have the ability to custom tailor rounds whether you choose to or not. That's more a function of your load work up and has nothing to do with equipment.

I won't bias my opinion by suggesting what I have, but I will say that you should keep it simple. Stick to something you understand.

I have used the simplest, and slowest reloading press for almost thirty years. I'm not changing that. It loads all I can shoot.
    djl357, OldVet, TX expat and 1 others like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Any of the choices you have listed will be fine. I have been using RCBS for over 30 years. You listed brands, but not models. The model line can be more important than brand name.

I would love to have the Dillion 650. I would not start out with the 650 though. You did not mention how many rounds you plan on loading. That will have a lot to do with your choice.

I have found that most people start out green or blue and remain loyal because they both are outstanding quality. No doubt the Hornady is top quality also, I just don't have any experience with their press.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Progressives are great if your shooting lots of rounds a month ( thousands) if you do not want a single stage look at a turret press, I can comfortably load a couple hundred rounds a hour on my lee t- mag an its very easy to change calibers. I have extra turret heads which cost 32.00 for each caliber so only have to change one bolt ready to go.
    Exsimguy1 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I still crank out all the ammo I need on a single-stage press, so I have no dog in this fight. I've read up on Lee, Hornady, and Dillon, and if I were to upgrade to a progressive press, the Hornady LnL seems to fit my desires the best and give me the most for my buck. I have a Lee shotshell loader that's near worthless, and I have issues with their dies--but they work. Dillon I've never used in any form, and I have very little Hornady equipment, not enough to form a valued opinion.

While asking opinions is useful, don't base your choice on everyone's "opinions." Set your needs and desires and limitations, then go with whichever fits those the best.
    TX expat and glockman10mm like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Focusing on your last two sentences;

With any reloading set up, you have the ability to custom tailor rounds whether you choose to or not. That's more a function of your load work up and has nothing to do with equipment.

I won't bias my opinion by suggesting what I have, but I will say that you should keep it simple. Stick to something you understand.

I have used the simplest, and slowest reloading press for almost thirty years. I'm not changing that. It loads all I can shoot.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I still crank out all the ammo I need on a single-stage press, so I have no dog in this fight. I've read up on Lee, Hornady, and Dillon, and if I were to upgrade to a progressive press, the Hornady LnL seems to fit my desires the best and give me the most for my buck. I have a Lee shotshell loader that's near worthless, and I have issues with their dies--but they work. Dillon I've never used in any form, and I have very little Hornady equipment, not enough to form a valued opinion.

While asking opinions is useful, don't base your choice on everyone's "opinions." Set your needs and desires and limitations, then go with whichever fits those the best.
    Single stage owners unite!

Like others have said, all are good choices and all should work for you. I like my Rockchucker, it's all I need and I crank out plenty enough ammo for my needs.
    OldVet and glockman10mm like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Sponsor
    While there is no arguing that RCBS, Hornady and Dillon are of excellent quality and the companies themselves have sterling records in CS, I have found that my needs are better served with the more affordable offerings from Lee Precision.

I have been using Lee reloading presses for close to 20 years. My one issue was with the 3 station indexing turret press and it is no longer offered by lee. The press worked fine(and still does as a manual indexing press) but the indexing system was prone to failure. An easily replace nylon cog was the culprit. The 4 station indexing turret press has a much more robust indexing system and has not failed in well over 8K .223 loads.

I haven't had much time for the range lately so I have only been loading about 500 rounds of 9mm and .45acp combined per month. I load my pistol calibers on a Lee Load Master progressive press. It's easy to change calibers and after just a bit of time learning it's quirks it runs smoothly and reliably.

I did try the Pro1000 and would recommend not going that route. It is a decent press but it's limitations and inherent quirks are not quite out weighed by the lower price.

My Lee Breech Lock Challenger single stage is a well made durable press and as anyone who hand loads will tell you, a single stage is an indispensable item and will always be money well spent regardless of which brand you go with.

So, unless you will be pumping out 5k rounds/week or you just want the high end stuff(nothing wrong with buying the best), Lee will serve you well at a great price.

Also be aware that every progressive press on the market today has inherent quirks and there hundreds if not thousands of you tube vids and blog posts detailing the best tweaks and fixes for them on the interwebz. No matter what you buy, there will be a learning curve.

I know the OP has been here long enough to know what has not been said yet(at least in this thread). Get multiple reloading manuals, read, cross reference and pay attention to detail. Be safe and smart and get ready to shoot a lot more and not really save any money.

$0.02
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    First of all, how much reloading are you going to do? I reload beaucoup rounds, and like the progressive press. If you are loading a lot of rounds, and changing calibers, get a press that has a quick change set up. If time is not an element, then a single stage is less costly, and quite adiquate. I had a single stage RCBS Rock Chucker, and wish I had never sold it. Hind site is always 20/20, isn't it? That being said, I really liked my RCBS Rock Chucker. My press is a Dillon RL 550B They have a no BS lifetime warranty.

What model presses are you looking at?

BTW, the Hornady locking rings will work on any die brand.

Another thing, get carbide dies! What brand of dies are you looking for? Don't leave out Redding in your choice. I have used, and own RCBS, Lyman, Redding, and Dillon. I have never used Lee or Hornady dies. This is not to say anything about them, I've just never used them.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I've used all those presses and own currently two out of the 4.

I have a Dillion 650 and a 550, and a four turret lee.

For the money I would say lee. For the quality the Dillion. If I was doing what you are doing I would go with the 550 and not look back.
    flintlock62 likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Distinguished Member Array claude clay's Avatar
    you do not say the quanity tou will be making. the choice depends on how many rounds/week you shoot vs time available to load vs
    what your time is worth compared to how much machine you can afford.

a 4-hole lee turret will make ~150 to 175 per hour and cost with all you need under $300

a dillion 550 MUST(*) be manually indexed, makes ~400 per hour and needs $600, a 650 cost +150 and is self indexing.

I've taught re-loading for 2 decades and when $ is not a factor the #1 choice is the dillion 650
    not totally sure of your abilities; start with a 3 hole lee turret
    got easy $ and can use a left hand monkey wrench with either hand -- go dillion 650

-----------
    * because of this it is the easiest to double charge a case. thus choose a bulky powder so that any
    double charge will overflow the case -- a sure to see event
    a 650, besides auto-indexing, has a powder check station. IMO it is the safest machine for what it does on the market
    Be aware, be deliberate in your actions and be accurate.
    -------------------
    Why do those elected to positions of power than work so hard
    to deny those same opportunities to the same people who empowered them

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    If you are set on a progressive get the Dillon. If you decide to go single stage Id rate them Lee for low cost, and RCBS for being indestructible. In the early 80s I bought a Lee press that's still cranking out ammo today, no telling how many rounds have been loaded on it. Around 2000 I wanted to try swaging my own bullets so I invested in a RCBS Rockchucker press. It is built like a Russian battle tank. But I don't use it as much as its longer throw makes me work harder.

The only negative I've found in Lee equipment is their dies don't come with a true lock nut. I replace them with true lock nuts and once set I have some that have not been readjusted in over 20 years.

I have yet to break a Lee press, But if Im resizing large rifle cases Ill chose the RCBS. I load 223 on the Lee setup. Good luck DR

I have used Lee products for yrs. About 25 yrs. at least, just upgraded to the Lee 4 hole classic turret press and love it. never had a problem with lee. My Lee 3 hole is still in use. I use it for 3 types. It has 3 sizing dies for my cast bullets. also have the hand held single press.
    When I started out the only problems I had was stuck cases in my dies. (Operator error) learn to properly lube your cases and you'll love reloading.
    I will also tell you to go to youtube and learn and watch all of the press makers in action.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links