9MM Berry's .356 plated bullet question vs .355

This is a discussion on 9MM Berry's .356 plated bullet question vs .355 within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I decided to make a run of 9MM. It all started with my trip to Cabelas. I have lots of .355 Sierra 115 gr bullets. ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MrBuckwheat
  • 2 Post By TiredRetired

Thread: 9MM Berry's .356 plated bullet question vs .355

VIP Member

9MM Berry's .356 plated bullet question vs .355

I decided to make a run of 9MM. It all started with my trip to Cabelas. I have lots of .355 Sierra 115 gr bullets. But I decided I wanted to shoot some 124 gr.
    I had my $25 discount card and $50 gift card for Cabelas. I stop in the day after Christmas, ( huge mistake ). It was packed. I got two boxes of primers and 2 pounds of Powder. I see the Berrys 9MM 124 grain bullets on sale. I pick up two boxes. Wait in line for 20 min go home.

I set up the Dillion 550, got my prepped cases, got my powder, grabbed the new box of Berries 9MM 124 gr........ in small print is says .356 ???????

I searched some of the other sites Glock talk, AAR etc.... Sounds like some guys shoot them in the 9MM others just .38 super. Since they are copper plated sounds like .356 are ok if they chamber. I am not the type to take the risk. I have 2 boxes of 250 ( these boxes can sit on my shelf for a very long time if needed).

so my question:
    is load em, or put em back on the shelf and load my 115 grain Sierra?
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

2. Remove Ads

Here's an old discussion thread on TheHighRoad about that question: click.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Shot them through my cz no problem, when reloading I have wilsons case gauges an test every 10th one or so if they fit they will chamber. Case gauges are great as long as your only loading pistol rounds you never have to pick up your calipers, much faster.

VIP Member
    UPDATE:

These are very soft bullets. They are cast lead with copper coating. The .356 is ok just set your load to a cast lead bullet spec. It is usually a lighter powder charge.
    I loaded over 500 of them past few days shot 50 or so and no problems. We are shooting these in a pistol league 50 foot range.
    dangerranger likes this.
    Wyatt Earp

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    The .356 will be fine in a 9mm. That is how Berry's on their site.

VIP Member
    After two weeks at the pistol league these shot like crap! bad groups. not sure if its the bullets or the shooter but trust me we can shoot a good group. I think the 92 does not like these. going to try some factory ammo next week.
    Wyatt Earp

Wow, I use them in my CZ an shoot dead on very nice groups use 4.4 gr unique even ran through my shield great results so far have used over 2 thousand of them

I am going to assume that you are new to reloading plated bullets. They are actually halfway between reloading cast and reloading jacketed.

Several finer details will have you producing very accurate plated loads. I know, because I had the learning curve on them also!

1) Do not over crimp and do not roll crimp. Use only a snug tamper crimp, just enough to hold the bullet in place. The copper PLATE is actually a thin copper "wash" not a thicker copper jacket. If you cut thru the plate to the lead, the bullet will shread itself after it leaves the barrel.

2) The powder load should be from the higher lead to almost the jacket level. These can not be loaded to jacket velocities. I believe Berrys will tell you not to go any faster than 1200 FPS. In Unique, you will hit that about the 5.7 - 5.9 gr area. I do not have a 124 gr plated load above 5.5 gr of Unique (please properly work up your own loads). You push them too fast and you will have first a lot of strays and then keyholes.

3) Watch your COL. If you load with too short of a COL, you will get high pressure (and higher velocity). Again, accuracy suffers.

As a note, I load a lot of Berrys. It is what I can afford to shoot a lot of. I prefer the 124 gr RN or FP.

NOTE: I stay away from the 124 gr HP.... I have problems with them due to their high shoulder profile. They will load in some of my pistols, but in the pistols that have tight chambers, they will hit the rifling before they chamber completely. If I reduce the COL to prevent engaging the rifling, I get into an unsafe powder area. I personally do not know anyone that uses the 124 gr HP because their shape makes it is hard to develop a load that works across pistols.

But I do recommend that 124 RN or FP... shoot great and very tight groups at medium loads and minimum COL's.

Just my two cents...
    Last edited by TiredRetired; January 23rd, 2014 at 09:05 PM.
    dangerranger and MrBuckwheat like this.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Thanks for the tips. My own plated experience has been spotty. The successes have been in 9mm loads for practice and plinking. [ lower end ]. And that's the only load I didn't crimp heavily. Any load where I tried to duplicate a SD speed and POI they failed miserably. When I loaded them like a lead bullet they shot OK. DR

Links