Common Bullet for .308 and .30-30

This is a discussion on Common Bullet for .308 and .30-30 within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Hi Guys, I have two .30-cal rifles; a .30-30 Marlin and a .308 semi-auto (FNAR). I'm interested in stocking up on bullets for reloading, and ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By buckeye .45

Thread: Common Bullet for .308 and .30-30

Hi Guys,

I have two .30-cal rifles; a .30-30 Marlin and a .308 semi-auto (FNAR). I'm interested in stocking up on bullets for reloading, and would like to be able to find something I can effectively use in either cartridge.

Obviously, I can not safely use any sort of spire-point in the .30-30, so I'm looking for something that would work safely in the Marlin, but still function OK in the .308. I'm a big fan of LeveRevolution for the .30-30, and I have little doubt that it would be a good bullet in the .308 as well, but they're awfully pricey! I'm not what you'd call a 'prepper', but I'd like to find something that would be a decent hunting round, as well as being suitable for an HD scenario. I want to make the best use of my ammo budget!

So, I guess my question is two-fold:

1) Anyone have any experience using a LFP bullet in a .308? Will the flat point feed properly in a semi-auto action? I realize I'd be giving up some long-range performance in the .308, but given our terrain and the nature of the game animals around here, it's unlikely I'd ever need to take a shot much over 200 yards, anyway. For HD, it would likely be 75 yards or less.

2) Has anyone here loaded LeveRevolution bullets for a .308 (or any other semi-auto rifle)? Any indications that the polymer point might cause a problem with the SA action?

Just wondering if I should stock up on LeveRevolution, stick to the flat points, or bite the bullet and stock separate bullets for each rifle? If I plan on LeveRevolution bullets for both, I'll tie up a big chunk of cash in bullets. If it looks like the LFP's are a good fit for both, I'll probably end up casting them myself, and save a bunch! Any other good options I may not have thought of?

TIA for your thoughts.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    In general. .30-30 bullets are not a structurally strong as a .308 and would tend to disintegrate at .308 velocities. You can try some at lower velocities and see how they perform overall, but if it were me, I'd just buy the best bullet for either caliber separately.
    Eric357 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I personally would just buy the appropriate bullets for both.

If I am going to be spending the money anyways, I'd rather be paying for rounds that will give me optimal performance.
    Eric357 likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

I have used 150 weight Sierra flat points for a 30-30 in my 03A3 Springfield, and with the same powder and charge, they shoot very close to the Hornady 165 weight bullets.

I don't see why they wouldn't work in a 308 of any type providing it feeds, which it probably will .
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Wow! That was quick!

Thanks for the replies, fellows.

I guess I'll probably stock up on both. Will try loading up some mild .308's with the FP's when I get a chance, just to see if they'll function OK in the FNAR. I'm also trying to find out the max recommended velocity for the .30 cal FTX bullet to see if it will hold up in a respectable .308 Win loading. Hottest I've seen so far is ~2400 fps.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I've been looking for flat-nose bullets since last August! Midway was the only place that would tolerate a back order, and I've some on order since October. This week with time off I've hit the local full-line gun shops and scarcely found anything in .308, much less flat- or even round-nosed bullets.

If you do decide to go with cast bullets, it might be worth slugging your barrel to see what diameter to use for sizing. There's a lot written about cast bullets in Marlin's Micro-Groove rifling, and between the MarlinOwners web site and CastBoolits, I get the impression that accuracy varies depending on what your barrel "likes", with diameters from .310 to .312. I can't speak from first-hand experience because I wasn't even able to get lead bullets this summer, and I'm holding off now until I get some loading experience with the jacketed bullets I'm waiting for.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Sponsor
    Hornady Lever Revolution

These should fit the bill if the bullets are available as components. Spitzer profile with a flexible poly tip makes them safe in lever gun. I guess it all depends on whether you work up an accurate load with the same weight bullet for each rifle/carbine. looks like they are valuable with a different placement on the cannelure for .308
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I've been looking for flat-nose bullets since last August! Midway was the only place that would tolerate a back order, and I've some on order since October. This week with time off I've hit the local full-line gun shops and scarcely found anything in .308, much less flat- or even round-nosed bullets.

If you do decide to go with cast bullets, it might be worth slugging your barrel to see what diameter to use for sizing. There's a lot written about cast bullets in Marlin's Micro-Groove rifling, and between the MarlinOwners web site and CastBoolits, I get the impression that accuracy varies depending on what your barrel "likes", with diameters from .310 to .312. I can't speak from first-hand experience because I wasn't even able to get lead bullets this summer, and I'm holding off now until I get some loading experience with the jacketed bullets I'm waiting for.
    Great info! Thanks!
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member

Links