Having trouble loading berrys bullets

This is a discussion on Having trouble loading berrys bullets within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I have just finished loading 200 40 cal rounds using berrys 180 gr fp bullets. On at least 10 rounds, when I would start to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Having trouble loading berrys bullets

I have just finished loading 200 40 cal rounds using berrys 180 gr fp bullets. On at least 10 rounds, when I would start to seat the bullet, the copper jacket would catch on the brass casing and peel off. This would cause the bullet to not seat straight. I was trying to be very careful when seating but like I said, I had at least 10 rounds do this and had to be set aside. Is it something I'm doing wrong or do I need to flare the mouth more? I have loaded rifle rounds for years but have just started loading for handgun.

Sounds like you just need a little more flare. I've had similar issues with plated bullets.
    StormRhydr and AustinArmory like this.

Sponsor
    Ditto.

A little more flare, the copper on plated bullets is much thinner than a true jacketed pill. Just be careful not to over do the flare, that will shorten the life of your brass. I've been loading with Berry's for years, they'll be fine once you get the flare dialed in.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

That is what I use and just expand the case mouth more then correct it at the end with a crimp die
    Laus Deo

Those who are willing to trade freedom for security will have neither.
    You alone are responsible for your defense.

MJK
    Had the same problem when I started using Cu-plated bullets. I put slightly more flare on the case mouth which prevented the shaving.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Two things: 1. Like previously mentioned, increase the flaring a bit; 2. get a chamfering tool and chamfer the inside of the case mouth to remove the sharp edge. Between the two steps, your problem should be solved.

As a second thought, what make dies are you using? Lee expander does not expand as well as RCBS and other brands.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Sponsor
    OldVet,
    I run all Lee carbide dies for 9mm and .45acp and don't have any problems with Berry's bullets.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like just a bit more bell , as others have suggested. No issues with Dillon or Lee dies using Berrys bullets here.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmy40 View Post
    OldVet,
    I run all Lee carbide dies for 9mm and .45acp and don't have any problems with Berry's bullets.
    That's good, but I've found that Lee only curls the mouth where others expand the case slightly as well as flare the mouth, which helps in bullet alignment. Wasn't trying to imply Lee won't work or is no good. I use them on my 9mm Mak reloads.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    I agree with the others, sounds like not enough flare. The only case I ever had problems with is A-Merc. I cull those out now.

Quote Originally Posted by spd132 View Post
    I have just finished loading 200 40 cal rounds using berrys 180 gr fp bullets. On at least 10 rounds, when I would start to seat the bullet, the copper jacket would catch on the brass casing and peel off. This would cause the bullet to not seat straight. I was trying to be very careful when seating but like I said, I had at least 10 rounds do this and had to be set aside. Is it something I'm doing wrong or do I need to flare the mouth more? I have loaded rifle rounds for years but have just started loading for handgun.

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    It is also possible that those particular bullets had a slightly thicker copper coating than the others. Regardless, the fix is the same.

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Possible, but not likely. The plating is actually very thin, and it would take multiple dippings into the vat to increase the thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    It is also possible that those particular bullets had a slightly thicker copper coating than the others. Regardless, the fix is the same.

I have run into the same situation on occasion, but it is usually only when I am using mixed brass. Sometimes there may be just enough variance in the length of the brass between different manufacturers. I never have this issue when I use all brass from one manufacturer.

Just a thought, but like others have said, I too, think it's related to the belling of your cases.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    They are resized after coating so they should all be the same diameter regardless of how thick the plating is
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

the flairing is most likely the issue here, but to play it safe try running a few bullets through the sizing die and see if there is a problem with the bullet.
    Berry's makes a good bullet, but look at it from all angles first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links