Want to learn how to reload

This is a discussion on Want to learn how to reload within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I'm interested in learning how to reload ammo. Where is a good place, site, to get me started. I'm retired so time is not an ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Want to learn how to reload

I'm interested in learning how to reload ammo. Where is a good place, site, to get me started. I'm retired so time is not an issue. I've have recently introduced my wife to firearms and let me tell you I have not seen her so excited about something in a long time (she's recovering from cancer). When she realized there were shopping advantages accessories, clothes, etc... Lol the range can get pricey. With both of us shooting 3-4 times a week I think I might see an advantage to the reload concept. I'm sure this has been discussed before but being new to this site I'm still learning how to navigate around it. Thanks for any input.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Brownells, cabelas, midway usa, and sinclairs all sell stuff for reloading. And I have bought from all of them. Everything except powder. I buy that locally to avoid a hazmat fee.

Below is a link to sinclairs. You will have lots of choices to make, like what brand of reloading press you want, do you want a progressive press, or single stage press, and then it really gets fun picking out loads, down to the bullets, and powder.

THEN you have to find all of the above things. You will need a good reloading manual. More than one is what Id advise. I will let others take this who are more experienced in metalic cartridge reloading. Im still new at it, though if you want to know about shotshell loading, Im your man.

Top Rated Supplier of Firearm Reloading Equipment, Supplies, and Tools - Sinclair Intl

You can get DVD's that take you through the reloading process. There are some pretty good on-line videos also. Best introduction though is to find a friend or relative who reloads and sit with them through a reloading session. I think most reloaders are only too happy to help someone get started.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    There are so many sources of information and supplies that it would be impossible to list them all and everyone has their favorites. I started in 1975 with a Speer #9 manual (I think the latest is #14) and it taught most of what I needed to know. There are many YouTube clips that can help--some short, some long--as well as DVDs.

Reloading, to me, has always been a supporting hobby for shooting, not so much for the savings aspect, but for the satisfaction of creating my own personalized loads tuned specifically to MY guns. It's "me" time when I reload. For that reason alone I've stuck with a single-stage press, although it sounds like your quantity needs will certainly exceed mine.

Do your research on equipment and accessories. Some are essential, some are helpful, and some are just stuff that end up shoved off the back somewhere. Starter kits are just that. As you learn the basics and your production increases, you'll find an endless path of goodies that add to the enjoyment of reloading.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Here's a good place to start to find helpful information. The Reload Bench Home Page Get you some good reloading recipe books from known reliable sources such as manufacturers.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Start by getting a good reloading manual, such as the latest Speer manual. Read it thoroughly. Go to the internet and watch Youtube videos. Buy DVD's on the subject. Find out all you can about cleaning, sizing, priming, measuring, seating, and then buy a single stage press and one set of dies for one caliber. Start off with new brass. The Speer manual will will show several different powder and bullet combinations. Start out with the lowest velocity and work up.

You are lucky to have so many resources for information. I started out in the 80's and basically had to teach myself. There was no internet, nor did I have anyone to walk me through it step by step. I started off with a Lee Loader, which is basically a hand held die and a hammer, lol.

Look for a press that comes with almost everything you need to get started, such as RCBS® Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit : Cabela's

You will also need a sturdy loading bench.
    StormRhydr likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bozz10mm View Post
    Start by getting a good reloading manual, such as the latest Speer manual. Read it thoroughly. Go to the internet and watch Youtube videos. Buy DVD's on the subject. Find out all you can about cleaning, sizing, priming, measuring, seating, and then buy a single stage press and one set of dies for one caliber. Start off with new brass. The Speer manual will will show several different powder and bullet combinations. Start out with the lowest velocity and work up.

You are lucky to have so many resources for information. I started out in the 80's and basically had to teach myself. There was no internet, nor did I have anyone to walk me through it step by step. I started off with a Lee Loader, which is basically a hand held die and a hammer, lol.

Look for a press that comes with almost everything you need to get started, such as RCBS® Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit : Cabela's
    Lol, I started the exact same way loading shotshells. A lee loader. The kit had everything you needed... except the mallet, lol. Good times.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Go to NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training

I did a quick search throughout the entire state of OHIO. You can search by state or ZIP....Here is what I found.

Description

HWU likes this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Go to NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training

I did a quick search throughout the entire state of OHIO. You can search by state or ZIP....Here is what I found.

Description

Im an NRA Life Member, and Im ashamed to admit it, but I had no idea they offered reloading courses. Thanks for the info.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    Im an NRA Life Member, and Im ashamed to admit it, but I had no idea they offered reloading courses. Thanks for the info.

NRA is kind of broken up into:
    Membership-------NRA ILA--------Magazine...........then Program folks.....

NRA has (I lost exact count) 160+programs........everything from teaching shooting, to helping folks get ranges built, working with hunters, working with National Rodeo, BSA, Jaycees, Royal Rangers, women teaching women, child awareness programs (Eddie Eagle), 3 GUN AIRSOFT and Rim Fire, Competitions, I like to refer to it as changing hearts and minds....but the program list goes on etc.... etc.... etc....... While we all share a building in Fairfax, not all of us work in politics! The programs I work in deal with 110,000 Firearms instructors.
    StormRhydr and HWU like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

you tube
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbirchem0724 View Post
    you tube
    Great resource!

Don't be intimidated by all the info its one of the easiest things I have ever done. Start with a kit from either lyman, RCBS, Dillon or Hornady they come with almost everything you need including a manuel. With the amount your shooting I would recommend either a turret press or a progressive. If your mechanically inclined get the progressive they work great but need a little tinkering from time to time. If not get a turret press. The turret will let you load at least 150 rds an hour an is extremely easy to use. Be prepared to spend at least 6 to 7 hundred to get kit, brass, powder, bullets, dies. I am sure it cost me over a thousand to get set up with everything but its a great hobby to go along with range time.

Distinguished Member Array Exacto's Avatar
    The NRA has a class for this. You should be able to find one near you on the find a course portion of their website.
    Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunder bolt...... Sun Tzu.

The supreme art of war is to defeat the enemy without fighting........ Sun Tzu.

Well, you are on this forum. Think about getting into a more dedicated forum for best reloading info.
    How much difference is there between terrorism and tyranny?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links