Cleaning the Primer Pocket

This is a discussion on Cleaning the Primer Pocket within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I'm very new to reloading. How important is it to clean the primer hole on your brass? What bad things can happen if you don't?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Cleaning the Primer Pocket

Question Cleaning the Primer Pocket

I'm very new to reloading.

How important is it to clean the primer hole on your brass?

What bad things can happen if you don't?
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    You might want to consider re-phrasing the title to your thread.

Just a suggestion LOL
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

I seldom clean the primer pocket because I never have problems seating the primer. I poke the cleaning media out of the flash hole if needed.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

VIP Member
    I am an old guy but that Primer Hole on your Brass is kinda funny .
    mano3 likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Primer Pocket....

OK - I told you I was new to this! LOL!

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

I did it once. I did not notice a difference in those that were and were not. If you are doing rifle for extreme accuracy, I assume it could have some influence.
    dukalmighty likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

If your just loading for handguns its not that big of a deal. I visually check my brass if its really blocked up it gets a ride on the lyman brass station but its rare. Now for larger caliber rifle I keep them pretty clean for a good primer seat. I even take out the spent primer before cleaning.
    mano3 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    well, if it's you're reloading the rounds for a glock, you don't need to clean it at all. you also don't need to put in a new primer. or resize the case. or put powder in. or seat a bullet. or even reload brass. my glock can mow down an entire pocket brigade just with a nasty look.

(i like glocks, but that's just funny)
    mano3 and SP2710 like this.

If you clean your brass before de-priming, it is not usually an issue. If any cleaning media gets into the flash hole, it gets crunched up and pushed through at the decapping station. After all, your brass is decapped by passing a pin through the flash hole, from the inside of the brass, to push the old primer out. Any blockaage in the flash hole just gets pushed out as well.

If, on the other hand, you de-prime your brass prior to cleaning, it is possible for cleaning media to get stuck in the flash hole of your brass. It is possible for that blockage of media to restrict, or delay, the ignition flame from your primer, and cause uneven detonation of the powder in your round. If you de-prime prior to cleaning, then I encourage you to check each case before you insert a new primer and clean the flash hole as needed.

I am staying as far away as possible from discussing the Primary (Oops) Primer hole issue.
    mano3 likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I like the idea of being able to de-prime/re-size and then re-prime with my one die, so not cleaning the primer pocket makes this happen.

Apparently, it's not a critical issue, unless you want 110% primer response?

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    I like the idea of being able to de-prime/re-size and then re-prime with my one die, so not cleaning the primer pocket makes this happen.

Apparently, it's not a critical issue, unless you want 110% primer response?
    not a true expert here, but i think more a matter of primer retention. i bought a case of WOLF .223 junk ammo once, and the spent primers kept falling out of the steel cases. kept getting lodged in the actions of my Mini-14 and my buddies AR. i think a primer is gonna go bang when you strike it no matter what, and so long as there is some hole for it to go through to get the powder.... it may affect velocity if the powder gets an incomplete burn before the bullet exits the barrel, but i should think your "blow hole-HAHAHA" should have to be awefully plugged to reduce powder ignition.....

Well, When I clean my brass and then de-prime it the de-capper pin cleans out the flash hole. I then clean out the primer pocket. I perform these steps because I want my loads to be as consistent as possible. This is not generally a problem with handgun rounds unless there is something in the primer pocket that interferes with the primer.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

Quote Originally Posted by Kavalander View Post
    not a true expert here, but i think more a matter of primer retention. i bought a case of WOLF .223 junk ammo once, and the spent primers kept falling out of the steel cases. kept getting lodged in the actions of my Mini-14 and my buddies AR. i think a primer is gonna go bang when you strike it no matter what, and so long as there is some hole for it to go through to get the powder.... it may affect velocity if the powder gets an incomplete burn before the bullet exits the barrel, but i should think your "blow hole-HAHAHA" should have to be awefully plugged to reduce powder ignition.....
    Me, and several of my friends shoot Wolf when we don't feel like reloading and have never had a problem with it. Not dirtier than any other round I've shot, including reloads. I personally have shot thousands if not tens of thousands of wolf in .223 and 9mm with out any issues.

Distinguished Member
    I have a primer pocket cleaning tool. I don't think I've used it more that a dozen times in 40 years of reloading.
    mano3 likes this.
    Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.
    Bad luck has perfect timing Joe "the donster" deBunker
    Who you are speaks so loudly I can't hear what you're saying...Ralph Waldon Emerson
    NRA Member

I also have one that came with the kit I bought a bit over 30 years ago. I used it on the first 50 rounds I reloaded and not since.
    mano3 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links