A little .300 Blackout help here.

A little .300 Blackout help here.

This is a discussion on A little .300 Blackout help here. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Number one son has a 300 BO and has decided I'm the man to convert .223s to .300s. I have converted .30-30 to .30 Herritts ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By HotGuns
  • 2 Post By Rob99VMI04

Thread: A little .300 Blackout help here.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.

Question A little .300 Blackout help here.

Number one son has a 300 BO and has decided I'm the man to convert .223s to .300s. I have converted .30-30 to .30 Herritts in the past (way back past) but that involved pushing back the shoulder and trimming the excess neck only.

With the .300 BO I'll have to push back the shoulder, expand the neck and trim. Any one out there doing this who can PM or post the method they use? I'd hate to butcher a pile of cases just to figure it out, and is annealing recommended?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Moderator
    The Blackout is basically just a .223 case cut off at the neck and then sized up to .30 caliber.

First thing you need to do is figure out a way to cut it. I took an old key cutter and adapted it to work. It cuts a case off in about 4 seconds and its repeatable to within a .001.

After that, you may want to trim them in a case trimmer. Debur the inside and outside of the case.

Lube it, then run it through the Die and that's all it takes.

Annealing isn't really needed, but it certainly cant hurt. I don't anneal, and I have cases that I have shot dozens of times, but they were subsonic loads and they don't stress the case much. Supersonic is harder on them.

You cant just push the shoulder back, the case will be too long. You'll have to cut it.
    ChrisATX and tacman605 like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    That's about what I'm thinking. With the Herritts, I reformed the cases and used a small tubing cutter to cut the necks before running them thru a case trimmer. First firing after that was a light fire-forming.

A fellow agent showed up with one at the son's monthly quals and all there were highly impressed with it--very quiet when suppressed.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Senior Moderator
    Its probably the quietest .30 cal out there. That's one of the reasons for its popularity.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Number one son has a 300 BO and has decided I'm the man to convert .223s to .300s. I have converted .30-30 to .30 Herritts in the past (way back past) but that involved pushing back the shoulder and trimming the excess neck only.

With the .300 BO I'll have to push back the shoulder, expand the neck and trim. Any one out there doing this who can PM or post the method they use? I'd hate to butcher a pile of cases just to figure it out, and is annealing recommended?
    Brilliant. Watching to see your finished conquest. Number one son is fortunate having a capable father.

The blackout has really peaked my interest recently.

I am sure you saw this but in case you did not. A good video from Travis Haley on the .300 Blackout

Senior Moderator
    Here's a picture to show the comparison between the .223 and the 300 Blackout.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    He gave me a few cases the guy fired, so at least I have something for comparison for setting up.

Hotguns, does the case have to be cut first before setting the shoulder back? Or will the die not allow it. It'd sure make trimming the excess easier.

Senior Moderator
    You can run it through the die first and then trim it.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    Oldvet..

Harbor frieght has a small circular saw that fits nicely on a reloading bench and you can get a jig that sets the length of your 223 brass to minimize trimming. this for around $35 price of a set of dies.

http://m.harborfreight.com/bench-top...saw-42307.html
    ChrisATX and BobR1 like this.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Just wait until Dillon puts their DT1500 trimmer and blackout die up for sale later this month. One pass trim and form right on your press. Done.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Just wait until Dillon puts their DT1500 trimmer and blackout die up for sale later this month. One pass trim and form right on your press. Done.
    Tubby how much is that gonna be?
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

VIP Member
    BTW I found a better video

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    Tubby how much is that gonna be?
    Around $300 retail for the trimmer. Standard pricing on the trim die.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Sponsored Links