Setting up shop

This is a discussion on Setting up shop within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; My first reloading gear is on it's way. I've toyed with the idea for a while and decided to give it a try. I've become ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Setting up shop

Setting up shop

My first reloading gear is on it's way. I've toyed with the idea for a while and decided to give it a try.

I've become a "watch for a while before you try" kinda guy as I've gotten older, and I've got the scars to prove I wasn't always that way. So I've been getting information from a variety of sources. More info can't hurt.

Currently I'm shooting mostly .45 ACP, so that's where I'm starting. I should have most of what I need to actually turn out product in a week or so.

Assuming I can find powder. Going to the LGS today to see what's there.

2. Remove Ads

good luck, be careful, and recognize it is going to turn into a hobby all it's own.
    Eric357, CWOUSCG and mano3 like this.

Let us know what your getting

Good luck with your powder search.
    the6shooter likes this.

For a first timer here's some advice. Get a good reloading book, stay away from fast burning powders like Titegroup, keep your loads (middle of the road), and don't over crimp. 45 ACP headspaces on the case mouth.
    StormRhydr and CWOUSCG like this.

Here's the supply list....so far....I'm sure there's more to come:

Lee Turret press kit (book, scales, etc...)
    Franklin tumbler
    ABC's of Reloading (with the Lee kit that's two manuals to get me rolling)
    Lee Die kit (.45 ACP)
    Franklin Calipers

As for supplies, I've got about 600 rds of WWB once-fired. I've got some Remington large pistol primers on the way and Rainier LeadSafe 230gr plated round nose to start with. Again, no powder yet...hopefully the LGS will have some. Otherwise it's order online and wait.

I appreciate the input. I'm fine with this becoming a hobby, although I'd be happy just to be able to shoot a little more for the same money. I'm well aware that I'm not likely to save any money, but a little more range time without breaking the bank would be nice.

Agalindo, it's good to know I'm heading in the right direction. I said almost exactly those words to a buddy last night (except without the Titegroup part...still learning about powders and their peculiarities). Thanks.

In my job I rarely have a completed project...everything is always in-process. So coming home and doing something that produces a final product is nice. I've built a couple of bikes, and like doing those kinds of projects. I figure this is the same kinda thing.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Before you settle on a powder take your book with you and be sure its a powder that will do what you want. My son that's new to reloading went to the LGS with a list of powders that we thought would work. When he got there they were out of all that were on his list. So the counter guy said he had plenty of 800X, and that it "should" do what he wanted. Yes he can load 9mm, and 40 cal with it but it does not meter well and only makes top end loads. What he needed was a plinking and practice load. So he has 2 lbs of powder that will probably sit on the shelf for a long while before he uses it up. Good Luck DR

danger, thanks for the tip. Turns out that's not gonna be a problem as the cupboards are bare.

Read the ABCs before you try to punch out the first round. Be safe, take your time and you'll be happy with the results. Many powders work fine for 45 acp loads, fast to medium burn rates (e.g., bullseye to Unique) seem best for general plinking/range use. The problem today is that almost all powders are hard to come by.

Good luck.
    Eric357 likes this.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

VIP Member
    You have selected a good caliber to start with. Should be a piece of cake for you once you get some powder. I use the Bullseye for plinking, its kind of dirty but no big deal. You could start by tumbling all that brass, then inspect it all maybe- size, de cap and check length ( trim if needed) all before you get the powder.
    I hear what you are saying about finishing a project. It can be very satisfying once you completed a batch.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

MrBuckwheat, that's exactly where I am. Without powder there's no real pressure to rush into a product. I plan to clean stuff & make sure I know how the press works. It's hard to know what's wrong if you don't know what right is supposed to look like.

Not like that's ever stopped me before, but we'll try something new.

FLSlim, that's what I'm finding. Apparently powder comes from unicorn farts.
    MrBuckwheat, SP2710 and 2tall79 like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Gratuitous shot of some .45acp I just loaded
    right off the old Dillion! what did that take you 5 minutes??????
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

oops, here they are.
    Slight problem with a rotated pic
    Attached Images

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    A good powder for the 45 acp is Win 231, or HP-38 Hodgdon). These two powders are identical as Hodgdon bought the rights to manufacture W231. Both powders great, and are very popular. I would get one pound to start out with to see if you like if. Another excellent powder is Vihtavouri 3N37, but it's a tad bit more expensive. 800X is a good powder, but it doesn't meter worth a flip. W231/HP38 meters great!

Quote Originally Posted by drbald1 View Post
    danger, thanks for the tip. Turns out that's not gonna be a problem as the cupboards are bare.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links