Jackpot!

Jackpot!

This is a discussion on Jackpot! within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I just got off the phone with my cousin who lives about an hour away. He told me that a coworker (a little old lady) ...

Like Tree21Likes
  • 7 Post By atctimmy
  • 2 Post By RickyD
  • 2 Post By Badey
  • 2 Post By MrBuckwheat
  • 2 Post By Badey
  • 2 Post By manolito
  • 1 Post By BigJon10125
  • 1 Post By Jeanlouise
  • 1 Post By miller_man
  • 1 Post By atctimmy

Thread: Jackpot!

VIP Member

Jackpot!

I just got off the phone with my cousin who lives about an hour away. He told me that a coworker (a little old lady) asked him over to look at some reloading stuff that her husband owns. It seems that the husband is over 90 years old, has cancer and they want to clear out his loading bench. So he went.

He came home with 30 pounds of powder and 600 pieces of brass....for free. It seems that they just want to get rid of this stuff so they are selling it off cheap. All of the stuff is RCBS. I'm heading down there in the next few days to buy a press or two and some other stuff for bottom dollar.

It's a sad fact of life that we all get old and will pass but these folks seem to be at peace with it and just want to spread the joy of our hobby to others.

I don't know what a press will cost yet but they are selling rifle bullets (Sierra/Hornady/others) for $5 a box. I plan to buy everything I can afford.
    Badey, niks, RickyD and 4 others like this.
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I just got off the phone with my cousin who lives about an hour away. He told me that a coworker (a little old lady) asked him over to look at some reloading stuff that her husband owns. It seems that the husband is over 90 years old, has cancer and they want to clear out his loading bench. So he went.

He came home with 30 pounds of powder and 600 pieces of brass....for free. It seems that they just want to get rid of this stuff so they are selling it off cheap. All of the stuff is RCBS. I'm heading down there in the next few days to buy a press or two and some other stuff for bottom dollar.

It's a sad fact of life that we all get old and will pass but these folks seem to be at peace with it and just want to spread the joy of our hobby to others.

I don't know what a press will cost yet but they are selling rifle bullets (Sierra/Hornady/others) for $5 a box. I plan to buy everything I can afford.
    You should run out and buy a lottery ticket today - it appears to be your lucky day!
    Bad Bob and Aceoky like this.

I bet they are glad that someone who will appreciate the gear will be able to have it. Sounds like a nice find!
    Aceoky and atctimmy like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badey View Post
    I bet they are glad that someone who will appreciate the gear will be able to have it. Sounds like a nice find!
    He's right down by you Badey. Where are you in the Burgh, maybe you could get in on the deal?
    I havenít heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

VIP Member
    I have been in your shoes. A close family friend of one of my friends went thru the same thing. I was put in touch with the elderly man. I went out to his house. I got to know him and we became friends. I have learned from him and got so much more than reloading,ammo and rifles from him. He felt good about giving me the "stuff" and made sure to give me his "tips". I was able to help him with some problems with his house and property.
    Make sure to spend some time with them ( if you can) may be more worth to you than some components and a press.
    Kilowatt3 and Jeanlouise like this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

I'm in the burbs, in the Wexford area. I'll have to see what kind of scratch I can round up (I just blew most of my gun budget on a bunch of .22lr I came across). PM inbound.
    atctimmy and gatorbait51 like this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Distinguished Member
    Timmy ask them about the guns you never know where that might lead.

Good luck

I don't have that problem my son is a Detective and I have to watch or I would have an empty safe. I am catching on to let me try it out and them it some how becomes his.
    atctimmy and gatorbait51 like this.

Awesome find! Good to see they are going to a good home!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Better get over there quick Timmy, sounds like a great opportunity! I agree about asking about the guns too...you never know.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array miller_man's Avatar
    Wow, lucky you. I thought I was lucky when I scored 3 pounds of powder and 2 boxes of primers last Friday.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by manolito View Post
    Timmy ask them about the guns you never know where that might lead.

Good luck

I don't have that problem my son is a Detective and I have to watch or I would have an empty safe. I am catching on to let me try it out and them it some how becomes his.
    Yes there are guns for sale. I know there is a custom built Sako in .270 and a custom built lightweight 30-06 built on an old FN action. Lots of other stuff too. I'll take notes. If anyone is interested in either of the two guns listed PM me and I'll get a price for you. Just know that if it's too good to be true I might buy the 30-06. Mostly I'm interested in the reloading stuff though so shoot me a PM.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Sponsored Links