Finally back at the bench

This is a discussion on Finally back at the bench within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; It's been much too long and my ammo stocks are low. Winter is my time for loading and somehow it's gotten postponed. Yesterday I finally ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By svgheartland
  • 1 Post By OldVet

Thread: Finally back at the bench

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar

Finally back at the bench

It's been much too long and my ammo stocks are low. Winter is my time for loading and somehow it's gotten postponed. Yesterday I finally jumped on the bench and started arranging things, picking brass, cleaning brass, tuning the Dillon, etc. I only loaded a few boxes of 230 gr 45 but I've got the beat back. Over the next few days I'll be back to proper, bangable levels in 45 ammo. I need to jump on loading for the 44 but not until I get the 45 supplies back to where they should be. The red press is for small primers, the blue one for large.

My component inventory is all messed up so I've got to recount everything and update my stock list. Then I think I need to dig in the wallet and go shopping.

After awhile I don't notice the sound of the Sidewinder tumbling but it's sure nice when it stops.
    StormRhydr and darbo like this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

2. Remove Ads

Congrats! I had everything on hand, everything calibrated & ready to go, and then moved.

I really am itching to get it set back up again, and start cranking out loads, too.

I have the itch really bad. We are in the process of selling our house. We found a place 18 miles out in the country. Room for my own range and shop for the hot rods. We had to stage the house and my reloading room reverted back to a bed room. I didn't want to upset a potential liberal buyer by having all my stuff out in the open. Not to mention security issues by having strangers in the house. Hopefully we will get an offer and the bench will get a new permanent home. I cant wait.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Hopefully both of you had time to get the supply line built up. Funny how counts of 50 go. I think I'd better clean my primer feed. I came up one round short yesterday on a box as I was getting the press warmed back up. Thought I'd lost my mind. First box this morning and I produced 51. Oh. There it is.......
    Savage Heartland

Sponsor
    I need to spend a day with the smelter. I've got a couple K# of dirty pure lead and clean pigs of Linotype that need to be alloyed before I can cast my .45 pills.

I'm flush on 9mm and .223 but the .45acp stash is almost nonexistent.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

Both my 45 and 38 stash were alarmingly low. Love to see them 230 gr start piling up. Sure is quicker to pull the trigger than it is the handle.
    Savage Heartland

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I smelted enough a couple years back that I'll have clean lead for the next couple of years. I normally do most of my casting in the winter but its already warm and I've not gotten the furnace out. I need 45s, 40s, 9s and 38s, and I may start pouring 3030s also. I need to get caught up, it looks like summer will be early. DR

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My son gifted me with a bunch of brass, so I, too, will be cranking up my little tumbler in preparation of loading some rounds. Those who shoot but don't reload just don't know the enjoyment they're missing.
    miller_man likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Just got back from range have almost a thousand cases banging around in the vibrator. Bang them out tomorrow.

Just getting my first setup going. Ran into the powder drought, so I'm waiting patiently (hehe... not) to start my very first batch.

I hear it's addictive.

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by svgheartland View Post
    Both my 45 and 38 stash were alarmingly low. Love to see them 230 gr start piling up. Sure is quicker to pull the trigger than it is the handle.
    Amen brother!

A day of loading is a good 3 hour range session when it comes to .223! I'm a little more conservative with the hand guns.
    T*A*N*S*T*A*A*F*L
    The best things in life are not free.
    They are paid for with the blood of brave men and women!
    M&P Forum
    Ohioans For Concealed Carry
    Holsters

It's quicker to pull the trigger than the handle. But...my Dillon 550 has a weird little plastic bit on the powder throw that gave out on me today so I'm down for a few days I guess. I'm lucky enough to have another progressive and I need to start cranking 38's while I wait for the part. I'll do just that and wait for the mail train.
    Savage Heartland

Don't wait til winter! Although I must say in my FL garage it is a lot more comfortable than in summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Links