Reloading .40 concerns.

Reloading .40 concerns.

This is a discussion on Reloading .40 concerns. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Ok I consider myself a newbie reloader. I've been doing it for a couple of years but only for my .38/.357. I usually load light ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Reloading .40 concerns.

Reloading .40 concerns.

Ok I consider myself a newbie reloader. I've been doing it for a couple of years but only for my .38/.357. I usually load light .357 loads. I don't have a 1,000 loads under my belt so pretty new. Just telling that so folks kind of know where I'm coming from. A few things I have read say loading for the .40 is difficult and risky at best because of the high pressures. The one article I read stated that the pressures for the .40 were in the mid to upper 30,000. Looking through my Lyman 49th ed I don't see any loadings with pressure over 24,000. What am I missing? The last thing I want to do is blow up my Sig or my hand.

VIP Member
    I don't load a lot of 40, but I use 3-4 loading manuals when I work up a load. If you compare data from a couple manuals and charge in the middle of the range, you should be fine. Don't make a ton, make up some, go to the range and test it out. If you and your gun like it make it up. You may need to experiment with a couple different powders to see it that makes things better. Watch your crimp if you crimp your 40.
    Eric357 likes this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

ok thanks.

I just looked on Hodgdon's website and they list most starting loads at around 25,500psi to 29,900psi, and most max loads at 32,400psi to 33,600.

Each powder and/or bullet maker will list different pressures, you just have to do some research concerning the components you want to use and learn what the different pressure ratings are. published loa

If you are concerned about whether or not your Sig can handle the pressures involved, contact Sig and ask them what the approved pressure rating is for your barrel.
    I used to run middle-of-the-list loads in a Taurus (Ithink it was a PT101), and in a Star Firestar with no problems. If you stay within the boundaries of published load data, you shouldn't have any problems.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

All my reloads I do I do on the low end.I'm not interested in some super load. I use my reloads basically to punch holes in paper.
    flintlock62 likes this.

Me to chris, just load for paper mid loads

Lead Moderator
    I only load to mid power loads with .40 . As long as you are careful and work up your load it shouldn't be a problem.
    Eric357 and flintlock62 like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

The issue to be concerned with in reloading .40SW and where it is very touchy is seating the projectile / depth.
    Make sure you have that right, with of course the correct charge, and you'll do fine.

The slightest bit of over-seating (too deep) will make pressures skyrocket.
    Eric357 likes this.

loading for the 40 s&w is no harder than loading the 9 mm and/or 45 acp. i load a lots of 40 s&w for several different 40 cals guns. glock 27, 23, 22, kel tec p-40, and a s&w sigma. i got good chronograph data to go with my loads. i don't load them hot. hot loads do nothing for a fun day at the range. i like to shoot and have fun, not to hurt my hand on each shot. my loads will knock down steel plates and group good on paper. what powder and what bullet are you looking at? with the 155 gr semi-wad and/or the 180 gr flat point along with aa#5 and/or titegroup you can make some good fun loads.
    flintlock62 and Eric357 like this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I haven't looked at a specific bullet/powder combo yet. Just been looking in my books and online. Heck I haven't even ordered my dies for the .40 yet.

pm me if you want any pointers on the 40 s&w reloads, bullets, powder, primers, and dies. i been reloading/casting for many mango season, started in 73, so been there, done that, and got the t-shirt.
    B_2keys and Eric357 like this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Ok thanks.

agalindo
    Stay at middle to low end loads and slow burning powders and you'll b e fine. Stay away from Titegroup, Bullseye and the like for now. Don't over crimp.
    Eric357 likes this.

There is nothing special about loading for .40S&W. Certainly the pressure isn't an issue. You start at the lowest starting load and work up, just like all cartridges.
    However, the .40 is NOT a forgiving cartridge. Bullet set-back or an error in powder seems to have much worse results in .40 than other cartridges.
    I consider AA5 to be both the fastest powder I will use in .40 and the most accurate powder across bullet weights and charge weights. Next would be Silhouette.
    Eric357 likes this.

I've loaded a lot of .40's over the years and there's nothing particularly hard about it. It's not an overly high pressure cartridge, and based of SAAMI ratings, it's rated the same as standard 9mm, and less than the 357 Sig or .357 Magnum. Although I might point out that it's my opinion the .40 should be rated the same as the 40K PSI 357 Sig, but that's not of importance. The same rule applies to the .40 as does anything else, just don't do crazy things with it.

The most common problem is an incorrect powder charge, and despite what many tend to think, I don't think bullet setback itself is a big issue. I think it can certainly make a preexisting problem (like too much powder) worse, but in itself it's not really a big issue if you're using the right powder charges. Also, there are powders that do very well for the .40, slower burning powders like Longshot make it possible to get 10mm territory ballistics within safe pressures. At the same time, if using a fairly fast burning powder like TiteGroup or Bullseye, make certain you don't double charge it. I like TG, 3.8-4.4gr of it with a 180gr bullet makes for something very accurate and soft shooting, but just stay focused because with low weight powder charges you could accidentally drop a second charge if your paying attention and you'd never notice it until it's too late.

Just use common sense and pay attention while reloading and you'll be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links