Remington No. 1 1/2 Small Pistol Primers in SPP .45 ACP?

This is a discussion on Remington No. 1 1/2 Small Pistol Primers in SPP .45 ACP? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; So a lot of my once-fired range brass is SPP .45 ACP, since the local range uses a lot of Federal and Blazer 230 FMJ. ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By glockman10mm

Thread: Remington No. 1 1/2 Small Pistol Primers in SPP .45 ACP?

Remington No. 1 1/2 Small Pistol Primers in SPP .45 ACP?

So a lot of my once-fired range brass is SPP .45 ACP, since the local range uses a lot of Federal and Blazer 230 FMJ.

I noticed on the box of SPP I have here, Remington No. 1 1/2, the following warning:

"Do not use 1 1/2 small pistol primers in high intensity pistol cartridges such as the .357 Magnum, .357 SIG, and the .40 S&W. Damage to your firearm and/or serious personal injury may result."

That warning doesn't exactly inspire confidence. The cups must be thinner... Wish I had known about this site earlier: http://www.handloads.com/misc/primers.asp

I loaded 100 cartridges with 4.7 gr Titegroup using these primers before I saw that warning. They were easy to feel the seat and nice and flush in the Lee Autoprime on the Federal and Blazer brass.

I used CCI for the large primer cartridges.

2. Remove Ads

45 isn't a high pressure cartridge. I haven't used rem primers before so don't feel qualified to give any advice on this sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by jscottjr View Post
    45 isn't a high pressure cartridge. I haven't used rem primers before so don't feel qualified to give any advice on this sorry.
    Yeah, since they weren't labeled as Magnum, and they were small pistol primers... and the only non magnum pistol primers on the shelf...
    Home cooked always tastes better.

I picked some up last year after I allowed myself to run short. Pressure is the issue, but I only use them in 38 spl loads. Haven't had any problems. Should be fine in 45.

I use them in the 40 and have no issues. I've used them in just about everything.
    ChrisATX likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Links