Esoteric question: is anyone making/selling THV bullets in the US?

This is a discussion on Esoteric question: is anyone making/selling THV bullets in the US? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Title pretty much says it all......

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rocky

Thread: Esoteric question: is anyone making/selling THV bullets in the US?

Esoteric question: is anyone making/selling THV bullets in the US?

Title pretty much says it all...
    Home cooked always tastes better.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Never heard of them and a google search comes up with nothing as far as sales. Here is a link about them for others interested in what they are:
    TRÈS HAUTE VITESSE
    Aceoky and manolito like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    Wasn't there just a thread about a new high speed/low weight handgun cartridge for military use? 5.27mm or something like that?

I simply don't think they're as effective as bullets that have mass. They pack more energy, but in a primarily liquid and elastic target (the human body), much of that energy is transferred and dissipates without causing an incapacitating or mortal wound. If they fragment this is even more so. Penetration and mass are generally king with handguns, and if you have that then you can start talking about hollow points and energy transfer in terms of more physical damage by creating a wider wound channel. Also, flat shooting isn't much of an issue at closer ranges, so the main advantage of speed isn't very important. This has been experimented with for a century and a half, and what we use today has honestly tested best both in the lab and field.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    i, kind of, brought this up a little while ago, the Radially Dynamic Bullets reference these THV bullets your talking about, i think the concept is similar either way. I think it hasn't really gotten any more traction than theory and initial testing, not sure of anyone is really making them other than the experimenters. i don't think any factory is pumping them out, anywhere.

.45 ACP Devel 155gr Radically Dynamic Solid Alloy Prototype Bullet Cartridge

The Gun Zone -- the Radially Dynamic Devel Bullet

Radially Dynamic Bullets?
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Distinguished Member Array Jaeger's Avatar
    St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    It all hinges on whether the "temporary cavity" is more important or incapacitating than an actual wound channel. I'm sure this is debatable, but most of what I've read says it isn't.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

From the Firearms tactical gel test the TC doesn't seem to be any larger than a normal HP about 3" or 4" thus it wouldn't cause significant wounding and the permanent crush cavity would be much smaller than that of an HP since it doesn't expand.

I just wanted to comment because you used a 5 dollar word like esoteric. Nice.
    Duty is ours, consequences are God's.

- Stonewall Jackson

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Since they're mostly armor piercing, I think they would be rather difficult to find in the US. Note, I didn't say impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisATX View Post
    Title pretty much says it all...

Links