Bad time to be a noob

Bad time to be a noob

This is a discussion on Bad time to be a noob within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Just started reloading and I'm finding what others must have known.... powder is nowhere to be found. I've got some on backorder but we'll see ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Bad time to be a noob

Bad time to be a noob

Just started reloading and I'm finding what others must have known.... powder is nowhere to be found.

I've got some on backorder but we'll see how long that takes. Everywhere I call I get the same thing, including my LGS..."we're not expecting it anytime soon, and when we get some it's gone fast."

*sigh*

Still, it has to stop eventually. Hopefully I'll one day post a thread entitled "Remember the Great Powder Shortage of 2013-14?"

Quote Originally Posted by drbald1 View Post
    Just started reloading and I'm finding what others must have known.... powder is nowhere to be found.

Hopefully I'll one day post a thread entitled "Remember the Great Powder Shortage of 2013-14?"
    2013-14? You should have tried about 4yrs ago. Just as bad, then, IIRC.
    StormRhydr likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Get on as many "want to be notified" lists as possible, and be sure to respond as soon as any of them notify you, because it will go quickly when it does come in.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

CCW is right. I have reloaded shotshells since age 12. And needed to restock for that right after obama was elected the FIRST time. Finding 209 shotgun primers was like finding the holy grail.

Last year I decided it was time to start loading for 9mm, and .223. And ran into just what you are running into now. With one exception, perhaps. I have all kinds of powders. I am very well stocked on that.

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Get on as many "want to be notified" lists as possible, and be sure to respond as soon as any of them notify you, because it will go quickly when it does come in.
    ^ This is the solution.

At least, until your inventory is boosted and you can then cherry-pick the good deals when you hear of them. Until then, suck it up, Spanky. Get 'em wherever you can. Stuff's out there. Just not at the price you'd like.

Need it right bloody now? Check GunBroker or other auction/ad type places. For a price, you'll find it. That'll get you started, if not at the base price you'd prefer.

Once you've got your inventory up, then check around your local area for advertised "specials" ... ie, estate sales, hearing from a friend of a friend that XYZ is looking to unload his stash, etc. Post ads at your local range(s) as well, as that's where the "powder" is (in the hands of shooters/reloaders).. It's surprising what you can find locally, with patience.

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    I used to buy 25lb kegs. Now you can't even transport them in a POV. I'm actually afraid to post my source, because they have always had anything I wanted through this whole mess, and I haven't felt the need to hoard, though I'm sure that normal operations might look like hoarding to some...

Here's a hint. Look for reloading only suppliers. Big catchalls like Brownels get bought out in an instant, but the major reloading only suppliers seem to keep a steady supply in their warehouse.
    ccw9mm and ChrisATX like this.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Got some winchester online from cabelas today

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
    I used to buy 25lb kegs.

Here's a hint. Look for reloading only suppliers. Big catchalls like Brownels get bought out in an instant ...

The bigger batches can help avoid the whims of the market and volatile pricing of 1-2lb jugs, too.

Jaeger,
    So.... what are some reloading-only suppliers?

Is it bad I'm kind of hoping there's an address that leads to a steel basement door with a sliding viewer that opens and some guy asks for the password?
    NONAME762 and CWOUSCG like this.

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    What part of Kentucky do you live in? If you're close to the Nashville area, you can try The Reloading Bench in Mt. Juliet, TN.

Jaeger,

Is it bad I'm kind of hoping there's an address that leads to a steel basement door with a sliding viewer that opens and some guy asks for the password?
    StormRhydr likes this.

I've got some on backorder but we'll see how long that takes. Everywhere I call I get the same thing, including my LGS..."we're not expecting it anytime soon, and when we get some it's gone fast."

*sigh*

Still, it has to stop eventually. Hopefully I'll one day post a thread entitled "Remember the Great Powder Shortage of 2013-14?"
    Yeah man by that day I'd been pushing up Daises with my natural fertilizer and your hair will be gray white or just gonezo.

I would be happy if my last wishes had been carried out and all my man cave stuff went to the right places.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Jaeger,

I've been there. It was in Spokane that month. CIVIL DEFENSE SURPLUS SALES.
    I still have a can of Type 6 Crackers from there. These were **NEW** during the Cuban Missile Crisis when JFK was President.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Jaeger,

I see that you are in KY. I dont know how far Nashville is from you, but I have had great luck with this store (link below). Id call before I went, but I got the bulk of my powder from them.

Btw, I consider them "Good folk". They were not price gouging, and I needed some help, and they knew what they were doing.

Welcome to The Reloaders Bench
    flintlock62 likes this.

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Great minds think alike!

Quote Originally Posted by StormRhydr View Post
    I see that you are in KY. I dont know how far Nashville is from you, but I have had great luck with this store (link below). Id call before I went, but I got the bulk of my powder from them.

Btw, I consider them "Good folk". They were not price gouging, and I needed some help, and they knew what they were doing.

Welcome to The Reloaders Bench
    StormRhydr likes this.

I'm in Ashland, about 5-6 hours from Nashville. But I've got family in W.TN (Jackson), so I go that way often. Thanks for the tip!

I'm using IMR 700X & 800X currently, and getting my bottom line results - I have range ammo. Which is very, very cool.

I'm on some backorder lists, and I check them regularly. I'll get my supplies stocked eventually.

As for the hair loss, I lost that battle long ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links