Gun Powder for Pistols

Gun Powder for Pistols

This is a discussion on Gun Powder for Pistols within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Im slowly setting up my gun dedicated gun and reloading room in a spare bedroom in preparation to start reloading. Ive decided on likely a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Gun Powder for Pistols

Gun Powder for Pistols

Im slowly setting up my gun dedicated gun and reloading room in a spare bedroom in preparation to start reloading.

Ive decided on likely a lee turret press or a breech lock though I already have the most basic lee press a friend gave me but not sure if its worth using.

What is holding me up from really going on with getting it all done is I simply cannot find gun powder suitable to load 9mm or 40 S&W with. So not much use having a press room etc all ready and no powder

Old hand with guns but total noob to reloading. I have a bunch of brass saved. I can seem to find bullets primers but no powder.

Am I looking in the wrong spots or is pistol powder suitable for 9mm 40 45 actually that hard to find???
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

VIP Member
    I guess I'm a little confused... Are you looking for one powder that will work for all three, and having a hard time finding something that you feel will work well, or are you simply lamenting the lack of pistol powders that are on the shelves?

If you are looking for powders that will do all three maybe have a look at Unique or Power Pistol. I'm a fan of PP myself. I've never loaded it for .45 but it works well in 9 and .40, and I know folks that use it in .45. Unique works with darn near everything, so it's a good option too.

If you're having trouble finding powders on the shelf, I can't help you much unless you want to make a trip out my way. I can probably get you hooked up with some pistol powder if you do
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Pistol powder is in very limited supply right now, and has been for a while. You just have to frequent the reloading websites and be ready to pounce when you see it. Have a couple of different recipes for each caliber which will allow you to use alternative powders, so you aren't tied down with just one single powder choice. Also, some of the powders primarily used for shotguns (i.e., Green Dot) will work fine for handgun calibers and are a lot easier to find than the pistol-specific powders. I notice the newer reloading manuals don't reference Green Dot for pistol loads very much, but the older manuals sure do. I use Green Dot for all my .45acp target loads and some 9mm target loads. It shoots a little dirtier, but I have to clean the gun anyway.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

TXexpat thanks for the response. Im looking for powder for primarily 9mm. Ill start with that until I learn the ropes and then start 40 cal. 45 I dont have but my son does so I might be loading some of that also but that would be down the line.

Honestly I was just puzzled as I can find rifle powder all day long on the shelf here. I cant find pistol powder for anything here. Nor can find anyone that can.
    I guess If I searched long enough on the net I could maybe find some pistol powder for 9mm 40 but the amount I would order to start off with or could afford too likely would make the Hazmat shipping charges not worth it to do.

However in a month or so I might very well be on a motorcycle trip out your way if your serious LOL
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Go to gunbroker type in alliant look for seller nursebell she is pretty fair on prices also get on list from cabelas to be notified when in stock, unique, bullseye, winchester 231, autocomp, hcdc or imr skor 700x its pretty much what ever you can find
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
    Pistol powder is in very limited supply right now, and has been for a while. You just have to frequent the reloading websites and be ready to pounce when you see it. Have a couple of different recipes for each caliber which will allow you to use alternative powders, so you aren't tied down with just one single powder choice. Also, some of the powders primarily used for shotguns (i.e., Green Dot) will work fine for handgun calibers and are a lot easier to find than the pistol-specific powders. I notice the newer reloading manuals don't reference Green Dot for pistol loads very much, but the older manuals sure do. I use Green Dot for all my .45acp target loads and some 9mm target loads. It shoots a little dirtier, but I have to clean the gun anyway.
    Ok now we are getting someplace. I have seen some shotgun powder called green dot but being a total noob to this had no idea it could be used for 9mm or 40. I guess if i could find an older manual I could start there maybe??

Just go to alliants website the info on greendot will be there
    Ghost1958 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    TXexpat thanks for the response. Im looking for powder for primarily 9mm. Ill start with that until I learn the ropes and then start 40 cal. 45 I dont have but my son does so I might be loading some of that also but that would be down the line.

Honestly I was just puzzled as I can find rifle powder all day long on the shelf here. I cant find pistol powder for anything here. Nor can find anyone that can.
    I guess If I searched long enough on the net I could maybe find some pistol powder for 9mm 40 but the amount I would order to start off with or could afford too likely would make the Hazmat shipping charges not worth it to do.

However in a month or so I might very well be on a motorcycle trip out your way if your serious LOL
    I pretty much shoot Power Pistol exclusively for my 9mm rounds and my .40 before that, so I can definitely say that it's a good powder for both of them. It's a little loud and a little flashy but I shoot outdoors so that's never been much of an issue for me. If you did a lot of indoor shooting it might be seen as a negative. I've had real good results with it so if you can find a pound of it, it'll be worth trying...

Yeah, you definitely don't want to buy powder online until you know what you'll want a lot of. Hazmat charges make it very cost ineffective unless you are buying bulk quantities. I have a little local guy up by me that usually has a pretty good selection of stuff so if you do make any motorcycle trips up here you'll want to pack light so you've got a little room for stuff to bring back. I usually buy large bulk orders from Powder Valley, but I always go to him when I'm looking to try something new, or simply just want a small quantity because I won't use much. I was just up there about a week ago and he had a pretty good selection of stuff. I picked up a pound of 2400 to do some .357 hunting loads with and I have to go back next week and see if he's gotten in any magnum primers. He had lots of small and large pistol primers, but no magnums... Just my luck.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Ok now we are getting someplace. I have seen some shotgun powder called green dot but being a total noob to this had no idea it could be used for 9mm or 40. I guess if i could find an older manual I could start there maybe??
    Ghost, my Speed Reloading Manual Number 11, copyrighted 1987, lists the older recipes for Green Dot and similar non-typical (by todays standards) pistol powders. You can probably find a copy on Amazon or somewhere. Note that powder power factors change over the years - some get a little hotter and some get a little weaker. So a powder from 30 years ago might give a little different performance than the same powder purchased today. When I use the older recipes I usually load my target loads at 85-90% of the max listed, just to be on the safe side. All I need a reload to do is cycle the slide and make a hole in the target. Good luck.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

TXexpat brings up a good point on the Hazmat charges. The Hazmat fees really let the air out of your sails when you think you found a good deal on powder or primers. I usually go in with 2-3 other fellows at work and buy bulk quantities of whatever we need. Then we can divide up the stupid hazmat and shipping fees between us.
    TX expat and Ghost1958 like this.

Thanks guys Im learning a lot just off this thread. Weird kinda for a guy thats been shooting and carrying since I was a kid that im so ignorant on this aspect of it. But my family never reloaded except my former in laws and I really wasnt interested in then. Either my ammo was being supplied for me for various reasons and when not it wasnt expensive so just bought factory since back then there was none of this cant find ammo thing going on.

So to reloading Im a total dunce trying to get started LOL. Thanks again this gave me a good starting point about powders. I was even under the impression that one couldnt use power pistol for 9mm so I would have not bought it if id found it. I shoot outside all the time so loud and flash dont bother me.

VIP Member
    Have you purchased any reloading manuals yet? If not, that might be on your short list of things to get. It'll list all the powers that they've tested so you might see something that is in your manual. FWIW, I would suggest being very careful with powders that aren't listed. It's absolutely doable but I'm not sure if it's really the best way for a novice to reloading to start out. You have to take a lot on faith, and since you won't have a lot of experience to help you, you may miss signs that help tell you that you're getting into dangerous territory...

I've done plenty of 9mm with a different shotgun powder (Solo 1000) so it's not something that I'm saying you shouldn't ever do; just be really careful so you don't have any blown up guns or hurt body parts.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

3# Hodgdon TITEGROUP Powder *BUY NOW* for $133.50

Listing # 398186126
    This is a for sale on gunbroker now its 133.50 + 19.00 shipping hazmat is in the 133.00 its a little high before all the crazyness at the store it would be about 85.00 here but you have to pay a little more now
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Thanks easy but that is way out of my price range at the moment

Check armslist. There's a guy in KY with powder.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    We have different gifts,according to the grace given to each of us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links