Defensive Carry banner

Any watch outs for a newbie?

2K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  IWIWBig 
#1 ·
I've never reloaded, and just ordered all of the stuff to get started - a Lee Classic Turret Press, and all of the attachments and accessories. I'm researching which books I want, and will get the powder, brass and primers based on the info in the books.

So my question is, for the veteran reloaders out there, what advice can you provide as far as a "watch out" that you wish someone would have given you early in your reloading experience?

This is literally playing with fire - so I want to make as few mistakes as possible. I'll be loading 45, 9, and maybe 223.

Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
Never talk to someone while reloading. Distractions can be hazardous. Reloading really isn't that bad as long as you go by the books on powder and bullet weight. Always start at the low end of the recommended charge, and work up, but never exceed the maximum charge. Load no more than ten rounds, and test them to see how they are for accuracy. After that, you can go up in increments to find the sweet spot for that powder/bullet. Check your cases for signs of cracks. A light that can shine into the case helps so you can verify a powder charge is there, or in some cases, a double charge. Verify the powder charge with a good scale, don't depend on the powder measuring device to throw the right charge. Make sure you have the bullet seated to the right depth. A case gauge is helpful. I pull my barrel from the gun and use it for for my gauge. If it seats all the way in the barrel chamber, it's OK to go. Don't smoke or drink while reloading.

Lyman's #49 is a great book to have.

#4 ·
Agreed with no distractions. Use your press like a single stage until you get the hang of what you're doing. Take your time in setting up the dies, patience counts. You'll seldom find the best accuracy with max loads. Mid-range loads seem to work best for me in most calibers.

I don't get hung up on tiny little details, reloading is not rocket science. Try to be consistent, but don't be fanatical about it. That's where your accuracy will come from. Use the minimum crimp necessary to extend case life.

Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!

Reactions: 2tall79
#14 ·
Big watch out is double charging. When using, say Unique, it may have a 5 grain load but the case will hold 50. Easy to throw a double charge on that if you're not paying attention.

#15 ·
NONAME,

Can you tell I shoot muzzleloaders? Never, never, never load from a powder horn, and that includes having a built in measure. I use deer horn, fill it up, cap the horn then pour powder down the muzzle. Many old the old movies show the old timers pouring directly down the barrel. One of my favorite movies Sargent York, shows him pouring down the barrel. It wasn't done that way, it just looks cool in the movies, I guess. I was at a shoot one day, and saw a guy poring powder from his horn. I gave him a piece of my mind. I won the match, he was last, or close to it. I asked him how he was measuring, and he said, "I just count to ten".:gah:

#19 ·
Thanks for everyone's input...

- Fat chance I'll ever get into 50bmg. There's only one range in the area that allows it, and you have to qualify to shoot there. I'm not that good with a rifle, so dropping several grand on a Barrett won't be at the top of my bucket list!
- Muzzleloading is also way down my bucket list.
- I'll avoid double charging like the plague. Seems like this is the worst thing that can go wrong, and several of you have mentioned it.
- Limiting distractions is a great tip. The wife will be locked out of the room when I'm reloading.
- Hadn't thought about casting bullets....maybe I'll look into that.
- Went to two LGS yesterday - no handgun powder at either. I may sell my soul to the devil and go to CTD's retail store in McKinney to see if they have any.

My press and dies will be here tomorrow, so once I get some bullets, primers and powder, I'll be ready!

#20 ·
No one mentioned this rule of thumb - a mistake I made yesterday: only tumble one caliber of brass at a time, or make sure geometrically one shell of one caliber can't fit into another.

I spent 30 minutes pulling 9mm out of 45s last night. I'm a dummy....

#21 ·
:rofl: Not laughing with you, laughing at you!

(I'm allowed cause I've never done that before):rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.