Sonic Cleaner Solution

This is a discussion on Sonic Cleaner Solution within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; What solution do you guys use/recommend either home brew or store bought. Thanks...

Thread: Sonic Cleaner Solution

Sonic Cleaner Solution

What solution do you guys use/recommend either home brew or store bought.

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

What is it you're trying to clean? A Sonic Hedgehog?
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Well since its a reloading forum one would have to assume it would be brass.

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood63 View Post
    Well since its a reloading forum one would have to assume it would be brass.
    Initially when I hit this thread I saw nuttin about brass. But I reckon I showed some brass now didn't I??
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    You can use a small amount of Simple Green, and water. a 30 min cycle should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by hollywood63 View Post
    What solution do you guys use/recommend either home brew or store bought.

Thanks

I have the ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight (the larger of the two they sell). I can clean 50 9mm cases using a solution of water and Vinegar (about a 10:1 ratio of water to vinegar) and adding a drop of dish soap per unit of water. I use a water/baking soda bath in a tray immediately after removing from the ultra sonic cleaner. With this setup, a single 480 second cleaning is sufficient to clean the cases.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hernejj View Post
    I have the ultrasonic cleaner from Harbor Freight (the larger of the two they sell). I can clean 50 9mm cases using a solution of water and Vinegar (about a 10:1 ratio of water to vinegar) and adding a drop of dish soap per unit of water. I use a water/baking soda bath in a tray immediately after removing from the ultra sonic cleaner. With this setup, a single 480 second cleaning is sufficient to clean the cases.
    AND the above solutions are non toxic. Simple Green is very toxic. If anyone cares about those things.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I also have a sonic cleaner from HF,same as lymans. I tried the vinegar solution,works ok. Then I tried Lemi-Clean, and it works much better,I also run it through a baking soda bath after 3-4 cycles of the Lemi. 1 tsp(ot tbls,whichever is the smaller of the 2) with warm water.

I also have a sonic cleaner from HF,same as lymans. I tried the vinegar solution,works ok. Then I tried Lemi-Clean, and it works much better,I also run it through a baking soda bath after 3-4 cycles of the Lemi. 1 tsp(ot tbls,whichever is the smaller of the 2) with warm water.

Thanks Guys

Simple Green is corrosive to brass. I don't use it.

My cleaning solution:
    1 qt. water
    1 c. vinegar
    1/2 tbsp. salt
    1 tbsp. dish soap (Dawn for example).

If you run a water softener, you may not need the salt. If your water is hard, increase to 1 tbsp salt.

After use, I run it through a coffee filter and let it sit in a jug for a couple days. Any remaining sediment will settle to the bottom and you can pour off the clear solution off the top and toss the sinker stuff. I get a good dozen uses before I have to discard it.
    Liberal (Noun) - Someone so open minded that his brain has fallen out.
    The 2nd Amendment: Guarantor of all other Amendments
    If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfiesden View Post
    Simple Green is corrosive to brass.
    And aluminum.

My experience with sonic cleaners is overhauling scuba regulators--using diluted vinegar or commercial solutions--and I found that one must be careful or the cleaning can cause the coating to flake off. That's not important with brass cases and such, but it can affect gun parts. So use caution with sonic cleaners.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Yes, to aluminum to the point that the USAF banned it for use on aircraft parts and equipment. But most of us are not reloading aluminum cases. Wonder...can you? I have seen them, it just never occurred to me to see if you can reload em.

As far as coatings. Doubt thats an issue. I don't thing the cheapie cleaners from Harbor Freight will have enough power to damage gun coat products. Maybe, but highly unlikely. A commercial sized and quality ultrasonic cleaner, yea, it just might. I have run quite a few nickle planted brass through my HF cleaner and its not strong enough to knock that thin plate off so I don't think a commercial cerakote finish is in any danger.
    Liberal (Noun) - Someone so open minded that his brain has fallen out.
    The 2nd Amendment: Guarantor of all other Amendments
    If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran

Links